Wiki Posts
Search

Lost passport on flight home!!

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2019, 4:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Will US customs let him in?
Customs usually dont check passports. They usually just collect the customs declaration stub.
But immigration will want to see a passport.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CarmenOM

Yes, I realize that. However, do passengers always show both if they have the mobile passport or do they usually show only the mobile?
Yes, they do want the physical passport. In fact, in my experience, that is all they want; the mobile has already sent all its information to them.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A US citizen cannot lawfully be denied entry to the US. The passport simply serves as definitive proof of citizenship. Rather than playing games with GE which may cause issues, simply report that you have lost your passport and you will be carted off to secondary where attempts will be made to verify your identity and citizenship.

Note that it is entirely possible that if the passport was dropped on the jetbridge, it may have been found and reported by DL to CBP and thus already cancelled and noted as lost or stolen.

For most people who lead fairly plugged in lives, this verification process should not take long. For some people, it can be a hassle.

For the benefit of others, a US passport is a valuable document. It can be sold on the black market for $thousands. While being admitted to the US is more timely, making certain that you have reported it (even if others have) is important. Somebody else using your passport to commit a crime can cause endless difficulties and great expense for you.

As others note, while photocopies are not definitive proof of a passport, everyone should have 2-3 high-quality paper copies of their passport in their documents folder and also have a similarly high-quality scan of the relevant pages as a PDF. I also obtained a Passport Card the last time I renewed my passport. An extra $25 gives me a simple extra piece of ID. While you can't fly or be admitted via air using the card, it is as good a backup piece of ID one can get.
freQ likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 6:35 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
I also obtained a Passport Card the last time I renewed my passport. An extra $25 gives me a simple extra piece of ID. While you can't fly or be admitted via air using the card, it is as good a backup piece of ID one can get.
I placed an online order for in-store pickup at Target last week, which requires photo ID for pickup. I was fishing around in my credit card wallet for my driver's license, and stumbled across my passport card first, and, voilŕ, they handed me my order!

Old May 5, 2019, 6:36 am

The US Department of State also has a lot of good information on their website:

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...re-you-go.html
Old May 5, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by pewpew
Wouldn't you lose GE for trying to use it without a passport...?
My wife's passport had some problem where the machine would not recognize it after scanning. We entered her data manually, which was successful, and she completed the process of photos and fingerprints and received a slip. This happened on a few occasions without repercussions. Of course she presented her passport and slip to the officer at GE. (After several trips to the GE office we finally got things rectified and it scans properly now.)
Old May 5, 2019, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by YadiMolina
My wife's passport had some problem where the machine would not recognize it after scanning. We entered her data manually, which was successful, and she completed the process of photos and fingerprints and received a slip. This happened on a few occasions without repercussions. Of course she presented her passport and slip to the officer at GE. (After several trips to the GE office we finally got things rectified and it scans properly now.)
Different case. You wife has passport on her, its just the machine can't read it.
This is different then not having your passport on you but still trying to use GE kiosk by entering passport information. As poster noted this can have serious implications
Often1 likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
Colleague is on a US bound Delta Flight that is landing in 90 minutes, and for the life of him, he cannot locate his passport. He thinks he may have dropped it on the jet-way on the way to the plane.

Will US customs let him in? He is a US Citizen, and the only ID he has is a driver's license - he also has global entry (useless without his passport).

Thoughts?
That was several hours ago and OP’s colleague should have landed. Wonder what happened and what was the process like?
Old May 5, 2019, 10:33 am

It is notable that the color of the cover of a US passport is a dead on match for the color of the carpeting used by Delta. The document if dropped in and around one's seat might be nearly impossible to see until one gets a good flashlight and can move around to look. You might guess how I know. Also the Passport Card, as mentioned is a good backup for ID.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Randyk47

That was several hours ago and OP’s colleague should have landed. Wonder what happened and what was the process like?
It’s been a few days now, and the OP isn’t back with an update about how it practically played out. Could it have been such a non-event at work for the colleague’s work, with the colleague getting in by doing what I noted earlier goes on in such situations — and in this case probably made use of the SSA number, the DL and some other docs and questions to confirm identity and citizenship as I’ve seen done — and getting admitted without much massive fuss beside the wait?
Old May 9, 2019, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by Randyk47

Hi sorry, didn't mean to blow you all off. I'm told the process took all of 10 minutes and simply involved the agent filing out a form. Apparently the agent joked that he was lucky that this happened at Salt Lake City, because agents at other airports would not have been as understanding.
Spiff, GUWonder, Boraxo and 4 others like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davidlhanson
Suggestions to avoid losing a passport and what to have if it is lost:
-- buy Craghoppers pants and shorts - these have 5 zippered pockets. I keep my and my wife's passport in the front left pocket and my wallet in the right pocket and my international call capable smartphone in the leg pocket. A pouch around the neck is good alternative but because I am overweight, I find a pouch uncomfortable.
Interesting idea on the pants. I wouldn't have thought of hiking pants as travel gear but that's because I tend to avoid putting much in mine--anything there is going to move back and forth with your legs every step and if it's not real light it gets annoying. However, for flying you're not walking that much and a bunch of zippered pockets would be nice.

FYI: In looking them up I saw REI mentioned so I decided to see if my local store had them. Nope--but I do find some on clearance. Larger sizes only, though.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:08 am

They have a lot of travel-clothing with multiple pockets, so you might consider uppers like shirts and jackets with pockets if you don't like the pants. ScottEVest is one, or Baubax. There is also an endless supply of kickstarters...
Old May 13, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
Hi sorry, didn't mean to blow you all off. I'm told the process took all of 10 minutes and simply involved the agent filing out a form. Apparently the agent joked that he was lucky that this happened at Salt Lake City, because agents at other airports would not have been as understanding.
Snort. My passport was taken from me on a flight to JFK (from Europe) and if anything, everyone was much nicer and much more helpful than I usually experience there. A bit of typing and chit chat and I was on my way. The only form of picture ID that I had at that point was my New York Public Library research card (back when the silver ACCESS cards for the research libraries had photos.)

Of the things I worry about when traveling, losing my passport once I'm on the plane home ranks very low on the list.

(Sorry that I just noticed this thread otherwise I would have responded earlier with a reassuring comment based on direct experience.)
Old May 13, 2019, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cafeconleche
They have a lot of travel-clothing with multiple pockets, so you might consider uppers like shirts and jackets with pockets if you don't like the pants. ScottEVest is one, or Baubax. There is also an endless supply of kickstarters...
I was saying that it wouldn't be good for hiking, not that it wouldn't be good for travel.

As it is I use a ScottEVest jacket for travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.