Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mobile Passport PLUS

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by zitsky
I don't understand. Are you saying that the new price for Plus is too much or too little? The money goes to support development of new features. I'm amazed if they gave this away for free. I always thought it was a paid for service.
IMO, too much. Prior to yesterday, the app had been free for quite sometime. I used it once, and thought it was very convenient. Anything for convenient, even for a fee, and I'd be glad to pay for a subscription if I'm a frequent int'l traveler coming back into the US; however, what happens at airports where both cellular data and Wifi don't reliably work? Or the CBP may not process the transaction for some security reasons for short/long term duration. Perhaps some tiered plans would have been a better launch to attract and keep flyers to continue using the app.
renebt likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:43 am

I'm just amazed that some of you expect this for free? Who do you think pays for all the development resources that go into this? (Scratching my head)
RandomBaritone and ajGoes like this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:08 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Global Entry is only $20/year (assuming you don't have a credit card that makes it free for you) and gives you Precheck as well, so charging $15/year to let you save your passport info in the app seems a bit high to me.

(NEXUS is even cheaper at $10/year, but is more trouble to get and usually not reimbursed by credit cards.)
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
Well, it WAS a great free app.

I wonder how difficult it is to cancel before the end of two weeks for the free trial?
It's still a free app. It can be used with or without the in-app purchase options being exercised.
Often1 likes this.

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 24, 2019 at 1:59 pm Reason: Opinion/commentary, not practical travel safety/security advice/information
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Even if the stored passport data is disabled or deleted if one does not pay, this is still a significant convenience and it costs nothing.

This is the nature of tech development. At some point, it has to be monetized. But, that can't happen until there is a user base.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:39 pm
Suspended

For people without the older version of the app, how can they get the older version of the app and thereby have the same utility from the app as before the company came up with the in-app purchase options?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:41 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
At some point, it has to be monetized. But, that can't happen until there is a user base.
There is a user fee every time I use US Immigration: $7.00. I also pay $3.96 to US APHIS each time. That money should cover all non-membership technology developments at the border. This new app fee is gratuitous.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ari
There is a user fee every time I use US Immigration: $7.00. I also pay $3.96 to US APHIS each time. That money should cover all non-membership technology developments at the border. This new app fee is gratuitous.
Is there any ability to use MPC without use of the MPC app versions released by this app’s maker/provider?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:02 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Is there any ability to use MPC without use of the MPC app versions released by this app’s maker/provider?
Don't know. I've had NEXUS forever so it doesn't really apply to me. I think you can just walk up to the machines (APC?) and US/CAN citizens and ESTA users can use them without having used the app.

Edit: Yes:
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/apc
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ari
Don't know. I've had NEXUS forever so it doesn't really apply to me. I think you can just walk up to the machines (APC?) and US/CAN citizens and ESTA users can use them without having used the app.

Edit: Yes:
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/apc
I have GE membership and do use GE kiosks from time to time. But I sometimes use APC, sometimes use MPC and sometimes use the same lines as those US visa users not able to use APC. From having used it all a lot, APC kiosks don’t work as MPC, and MPC app doesn’t work for APC kiosk use and MPC app doesn’t work for GE kiosk use.

Doesn’t seem so to me yet.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 24, 2019 at 2:14 pm
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:40 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder

I have GE membership and do use GE kiosks from time to time. But I sometimes use APC, sometimes use MPC and sometimes use the same lines as those US visa users not able to use APC. From having used it all a lot, APC kiosks don’t work as MPC, and MPC app doesn’t work for APC kiosk use and MPC app doesn’t work for GE kiosk use.

Doesn’t seem so to me yet.
Shows what I know. I'm so right-to-GE that I don't know the difference between APC and MPC, I guess.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I am in the camp that if I have to reenter my passport information every, single time, take my photo AND do this for each member of my traveling party, then the new free version is no longer beneficial. How soon before landing can I enter the information (passports + new photos) so that the app will retain it and generate a code? Is it okay to take a new photo with the background of the aisle of the plane and other people? Will I have time to enter all of this information before I reach the line? If I can't type fast enough, then do we then just use the regular line? I am not going to stand there and block the path of other travelers walking behind me, just so that I can take a photo and/or finish typing.

Part of the reason I enjoyed using this app was the convenience of having all of this information already loaded and ready to go. I am sad to lose what was for me a great, free and easy to access app. YMMV, of course. We all have different approaches.
drewguy likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:44 am

I guess it depends on the business model. I always assumed CPB paid for the development and maintenance of the app. If the app was simply developed as a partnership then the company developing the app needs to find a way to make money for developing the app. If that's the case I'm not sure why CBP does not pay for the cost of further developing and the cost of maintaining the app as a service to the flying public.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zitsky
I'm just amazed that some of you expect this for free? Who do you think pays for all the development resources that go into this? (Scratching my head)
It saves them time and reduces the number of machines they need. It should be free.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Isn’t the iOS app still called just Mobile Passport?

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
It saves them time and reduces the number of machines they need. It should be free.
Are you referring to APC machines? APC machines have been paid for, at least historically, mainly by airlines and/or the airports or some non-DHS entity with an interest in the airport.

Or are you referring to the machines used to scan the MPC-generated codes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.