Wiki Posts
Search

Mobile Passport PLUS

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum
Mobile Passport PLUS

Just updated my Mobile Passport app this morning on the Apple App Store. it appears that there is now a mobile passport plus. Recall that MPC is FREE but now you can upgrade to MP+ to be able to store your passport and...use expedited lines?? All for a whopping $14.99/year (there appears to be a two week trial).

is MP trying to give GE a run for its money?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:01 am

The "non-Plus" version has always had access to expedited lines (at least I can at EWR).

I just ran the updated "Mobile Passport" app on my iPhone. I was given the option to upgrade to Plus, which I declined. I was then given the option to DELETE my data (passport info I already have stored in the app), or upgrade to Plus to preserve the data (one of the features of Plus is to store encrypted passport info, which I already have stored from the earlier non-Plus version).

It seems that if you don't sign up for Plus, you'll be forced to manually enter your passport/etc details on arrival on every trip. I say it "seems", since it's difficult to find any real info so far.

Also (from their FAQ page), the non-Plus version of the app includes ads, where the Plus version does not. I don't remember if the old version of the app included ads before (I don't remember them, but maybe didn't notice)
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by renebt
Just updated my Mobile Passport app this morning on the Apple App Store. it appears that there is now a mobile passport plus. Recall that MPC is FREE but now you can upgrade to MP+ to be able to store your passport and...use expedited lines?? All for a whopping $14.99/year (there appears to be a two week trial).

is MP trying to give GE a run for its money?

My MP app (on my iOS devices) stores my passport data (and that of various other travel party members) just fine. And that's without doing the in-app purchases that seem to cost from $11.99 and up, dollar by dollar.

Do you happen to know when the in-app purchase thing started with MPC app use? I had not noticed it before despite having had rather recent use of the MPC app. Seems like it is part of an update from today.

I won't be updating the app, if I can help it.

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 23, 2019 at 8:14 am Reason: Opinion/commentary, not practical travel safety/security advice/information
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:32 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Today’s update will force you to either pay or your passport data is deleted....ransomware.

Time for everyone to give it a 1 star review.

I believe you can still use for free but just have to enter passport information each time.

Last edited by seawolf; Apr 23, 2019 at 6:37 am
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by seawolf
Today’s update will force you to either pay or your passport data is deleted.

Time for everyone to give it a 1 star review.
The app still seems to work for me as it used to -- without paying -- as long as I skip today's updated version of the app and use the older version of the app that currently resides on my devices. My list of stored passports remains in the app. Since I don't find it all that convenient to re-capture photos and re-load the passport data, I will have to skip updating the app as long as the app works as it has in months and years prior and still seems to work when using the older version of the app.

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 23, 2019 at 8:15 am Reason: Opinion/commentary not practical travel security/safety advice/information
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
Mobile Passport App launches paid tier. No passport info stored in free tier

So I updated the Mobile Passport App on my iPhone this morning and it gave me the option to upgrade to Mobile Passport Plus for an annual fee ($14.99) or to delete the passport data stored in the app. From now on, the free version doesn't store your passport data, and you have to re-enter it (and re-take your photo) each time you land.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
I'd be surprised if an older version works when you actually go to use it, so if anyone tries it please report back.

Originally Posted by seawolf
I believe you can still use for free but just have to enter passport information each time.
That's my understanding as well. My stored profiles were deleted and it appears that you now have to enter your info and take a picture each time upon arrival. Another "enhancement" to the travel experience.

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 23, 2019 at 8:12 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:18 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
From the Mobile Passport website:
Dear Members,

We launched Mobile Passport in 2014 with the vision of expediting travelers' arrival into the U.S. and making it incredibly easy to do. No complicated interview or application needed while ensuring the privacy and security of our members' data. We are humbled that our app now reaches more than six million travelers. It has been incorporated into nearly 30 airports and cruise ports and was featured as Apple's App of the Day. We owe all of our success to the loyalty and feedback of our members. Thank you!

Today begins a new chapter for Mobile Passport. We're excited to introduce Mobile Passport plus, a premium version of our app that allows U.S. citizens and Canadian visitors to enjoy all the basic features of Mobile Passport in addition to other convenient features, like use of the automated passport scanner and encrypted storage of passport profiles to prepare for upcoming trips. Mobile Passport plus will be priced at $14.99 per year and we're providing a free 7-day trial to all members.

By offering Mobile Passport plus, we will be able to invest more resources into building greater functionality within the app, make operational improvements, as well as create new products and services that will provide value to travelers beyond the Mobile Passport app.

We will still offer a free basic version of Mobile Passport that will allow access to the Mobile Passport Control express lanes, however there will be some product limitations. Users of the free version will not be able to store passport information for upcoming trips or use the document scanner to automatically enter their document information. But, they will be able to manually enter and submit their details upon arriving at their port of entry.

At Airside, we're focused on building innovative digital identity products that not only offer convenience, but also are built with a privacy-by-design approach to empower our consumers in an information sharing world. Thank you for joining us along the journey!

Hans Miller
Founder & CEO at Airside
renebt likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by KevinDTW
I'd be surprised if an older version works when you actually go to use it, so if anyone tries it please report back.
The version from before today’s update version still works/worked as of today with previously stored passports.

Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Originally Posted by KevinDTW

That's my understanding as well. My stored profiles were deleted and it appears that you now have to enter your info and take a picture each time upon arrival. Another "enhancement" to the travel experience.
just landed at LAX and used the “old” version of the MP app.
Everything has gone fine so far. Generated the screen with the QR code for CBP.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:23 pm

i had thought to give a try and now i can forget it ...
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:06 pm
Suspended

You can still give it a try using the new version of the app; or use it with the old version of the app for that matter if you have it already.

It's to be seen if/when the Airside company winds up with the older version of the MPC app being disabled in some way or another.

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 23, 2019 at 7:56 pm Reason: Opinion/commentary not practical travel security/safety advice/information
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:32 am

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Well, it WAS a great free app.

I wonder how difficult it is to cancel before the end of two weeks for the free trial?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:26 am

Disappointed to learn the new launch of Mobile Passport PLUS v 3.3.0 on 4/23/19 with a subscription of $14.99 A YEAR -- https://mobilepassport.us/announceme...-passport-plus

Glad I was able to use the then free version to automatically scan my passport and save my upcoming trip information on a visit to Canada 2 months ago.

Dear Members,

We launched Mobile Passport in 2014 with the vision of expediting travelers' arrival into the U.S. and making it incredibly easy to do. No complicated interview or application needed while ensuring the privacy and security of our members' data. We are humbled that our app now reaches more than six million travelers. It has been incorporated into nearly 30 airports and cruise ports and was featured as Apple's App of the Day. We owe all of our success to the loyalty and feedback of our members. Thank you!

Today begins a new chapter for Mobile Passport. We're excited to introduce Mobile Passport plus, a premium version of our app that allows U.S. citizens and Canadian visitors to enjoy all the basic features of Mobile Passport in addition to other convenient features, like use of the automated passport scanner and encrypted storage of passport profiles to prepare for upcoming trips. Mobile Passport plus will be priced at $14.99 per year and we're providing a free 7-day trial to all members.

By offering Mobile Passport plus, we will be able to invest more resources into building greater functionality within the app, make operational improvements, as well as create new products and services that will provide value to travelers beyond the Mobile Passport app.

We will still offer a free basic version of Mobile Passport that will allow access to the Mobile Passport Control express lanes, however there will be some product limitations. Users of the free version will not be able to store passport information for upcoming trips or use the document scanner to automatically enter their document information. But, they will be able to manually enter and submit their details upon arriving at their port of entry.

At Airside, we're focused on building innovative digital identity products that not only offer convenience, but also are built with a privacy-by-design approach to empower our consumers in an information sharing world. Thank you for joining us along the journey!
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:33 am

I don't understand. Are you saying that the new price for Plus is too much or too little? The money goes to support development of new features. I'm amazed if they gave this away for free. I always thought it was a paid for service.
RandomBaritone and ajGoes like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.