FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   [Texas] DL [with out of state address] not accepted - what now? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1965124-texas-dl-out-state-address-not-accepted-what-now.html)

Kate2015 Apr 12, 2019 2:23 pm

[Texas] DL [with out of state address] not accepted - what now?

Last week at PHX, the document checker took exception to my TX DL because it has an out of state address on it. I've never in 10 years of having a DL like this had a problem, but the screener insisted my ID was not valid and asked for another form. A third supervisor finally allowed me through, but warned me to "get the ID situation squared away next time I came to PHX."

Problem is, the ID is valid. There's no "situation". Can TSA unilaterally declared it invalid and refuse to accept it anyway? On what basis? And what are my other options?

squeakr Apr 12, 2019 5:19 pm

So you have a Texas license with a non-Texas address?

Or is it that you’re flying out of Arizona with a Texas license? I know here in California the letter of the law is that once you’ve been here 30 days you have to have a California drivers license to drive in California.
So if what TSA is saying is that you can’t fly out of Arizona with a Texas license that seems very bizarre. But if they’re saying a Texas license has to show a Texas address I have no idea what the law is.

and wouldn’t your options be getting a license in the state that you live? Showing an in-state address? Forgive me if I’m misunderstanding the problem.

MSPeconomist Apr 12, 2019 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by squeakr (Post 30994412)
Or is it that you’re flying out of Arizona with a Texas license? I know here in California the letter of the law is that once you’ve been here 30 days you have to have a California drivers license to drive in California.
So if what TSA is saying is that you can’t fly out of Arizona with a Texas license that seems very bizarre. But if they’re saying a Texas license has to show a Texas address I have no idea what the law is.

and wouldn’t your options be getting a license in the state that you live? Showing an in-state address? Forgive me if I’m misunderstanding the problem.

I doubt that a random TSA agent is an expert regarding address requirements for drivers' licenses in all fifty states. In fact, I very much doubt that the 30 days rule is universal, and it could also matter whether the OP actually drives (and where). IIRC I was once in a situation where I was not required by any state government rule to have yet changed the license, but my insurance company wanted documentation of the new license number. [This might have been a matter of an extended temporary job away from home of somewhat uncertain duration.]

Kate2015 Apr 12, 2019 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by squeakr (Post 30994412)

I'm a Texas resident, living in Illinois, flying home from Arizona on a business trip. Texas allows me to have an out-of-state address on my DL - that's the law there in certain situations. My question is, if I don't have another ID, can I take the chance? Continue to ask for a supervisor? What?

(I have a GE ID, but I don't carry it anymore because it was always declined for quality of the photo)

TWA884 Apr 12, 2019 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30994422)
I doubt that a random TSA agent is an expert regarding address requirements for drivers' licenses in all fifty states. In fact, I very much doubt that the 30 days rule is universal, and it could also matter whether the OP actually drives (and where).

The Texas rule is 90 days.

In addition, Texas requires applicants to complete a Texas residency affidavit which states: "To be eligible for a Texas driver license or identification card, the applicant must be a resident of or domiciled in Texas" and: "The individual who resides at the address in Section A must complete Section B certifying that the applicant resides at that address and provide two acceptable documents establishing proof of residency."

ETA:

Then I found this:

If your true, fixed and permanent home (domicile) is in Texas and you are living outside of the state, you may be eligible to renew or replace your Texas driver license or ID card without returning to Texas.

Examples of people living outside of the state who have Texas domicile include certain U.S. active duty military members, students whose parents live in Texas and people temporarily living outside of Texas for work.

Kate2015 Apr 12, 2019 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 30994462)
The Texas rule is 90 days.

In addition, Texas requires applicants to complete a Texas residency affidavit which states: "To be eligible for a Texas driver license or identification card, the applicant must be a resident of or domiciled in Texas" and: "The individual who resides at the address in Section A must complete Section B certifying that the applicant resides at that address and provide two acceptable documents establishing proof of residency."

ETA:

Then I found this:

My husband is active duty military and we've been Texas residents since last living there. I'm in compliance with Texas law.

My concern is that both my forms of ID's have now been declined. I'm kind of running out of options - is this a screener being picky, or a new thing?

MSPeconomist Apr 12, 2019 6:24 pm

Get yourself a passport and passport card. Carry the passport card for travel and generally as officially government issued photo ID. It's hard for anyone to argue against the passport card and it doesn't have an address.

Kate2015 Apr 12, 2019 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30994556)
Get yourself a passport and passport card. Carry the passport card for travel and generally as officially government issued photo ID. It's hard for anyone to argue against the passport card and it doesn't have an address.

I have a passport, but it's kind of expensive to replace - and I travel internationally frequently/can't risk losing it, so I don't bring it if I don't have to.

I guess my other question is, can they decline every ID I have with me? My DL is ReadID compliant and the GE card obviously is. Is something else going on here? Screener threatened to confiscate my DL, so I'm pretty concerned, and curious what law allows them to do that.

TWA884 Apr 12, 2019 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Kate2015 (Post 30994592)
I have a passport, but it's kind of expensive to replace...

You can use a U.S. Department of Defense dependent ID, if you have one, or get a passport card.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...4dd1f7887a.jpg

Kamalaasaa Apr 12, 2019 8:14 pm

You might want to let your Texas US rep and senators know about this, including that your husband is active duty.

Given how proud Texans are of being Texans, and add in the fact that they are generally supportive of the military, and it might get some traction.

Kate2015 Apr 12, 2019 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 30994631)
You can use a U.S. Department of Defense dependent ID, if you have one, or get a passport card.

I don't carry my dependent ID with me. I suppose I'll get a passport card, but I'm afraid they'll find some reason to deny that too. It's a lot of money to spend for no legal reason.

Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa (Post 30994793)
You might want to let your Texas US rep and senators know about this, including that your husband is active duty.

Given how proud Texans are of being Texans, and add in the fact that they are generally supportive of the military, and it might get some traction.

I don't think they care. I emailed TSA about this, and they stated they make a final determination of an ID's validity. I'm not sure how that's legal, but that's why I'm worried about spending money on a passport card.

skywardhunter Apr 12, 2019 9:31 pm

So you have several other ID options as well as getting a passport card (to which you've not responded), but don't carry them with you, so then what other options are you seeking? How often do you lose important documents that you're so afraid of carrying them with you?

mnbp Apr 12, 2019 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Kate2015 (Post 30994441)
(I have a GE ID, but I don't carry it anymore because it was always declined for quality of the photo)

Originally Posted by Kate2015 (Post 30994814)
I don't carry my dependent ID with me. I suppose I'll get a passport card, but I'm afraid they'll find some reason to deny that too. It's a lot of money to spend for no legal reason.

A Passport Card is a completely valid form of identification / proof of citizenship, so much so it is listed #3 on the official TSA ID list: TSA - Identification

And, unlike the photo taken for Global Entry, the photo on the Passport Card is a passport photo that YOU provide as part of your application - and not a snapshot taken from the Global Entry interviewing officer's crappy web camera with typically lousy fluorescent government office lighting. If the picture quality is the problem on your GE card, a Passport Card will certainly solve that problem.

CKDGM Apr 12, 2019 11:13 pm

Also, if ordered along with a passport book renewal the passport card is by far the cheapest federally acceptable ID on a per year basis; it's $30 for 10 years, or $3/year.

FlyingUnderTheRadar Apr 13, 2019 8:06 am

You might carry a copy of the Texas law allowing out of state addresses on a drivers license.