Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

[Texas] DL [with out of state address] not accepted - what now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Texas] DL [with out of state address] not accepted - what now?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CKDGM
Also, if ordered along with a passport book renewal the passport card is by far the cheapest federally acceptable ID on a per year basis; it's $30 for 10 years, or $3/year.

A Military dependent ID card is also an government ID that is accepted and it is free - the OP has one and refuses to use it so VoV
TWA884 and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:54 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Kate2015
I don't carry my dependent ID with me.
Since you already have it, perhaps you should start carrying it. It is valid identification for airport security checkpoints.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:07 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Kate2015
I'm a Texas resident, living in Illinois, flying home from Arizona on a business trip. Texas allows me to have an out-of-state address on my DL - that's the law there in certain situations. My question is, if I don't have another ID, can I take the chance? Continue to ask for a supervisor? What?

(I have a GE ID, but I don't carry it anymore because it was always declined for quality of the photo)
Just don’t worry about the TSA making up stuff like this and just continue to use your Texas ID as usual. Some TSA employees may make a fuss about it at times but I doubt it will be a show stopper for the trips. I’ve seen TSA TDC make a fuss about various sorts of things for my travel party members and the percentage of time where the TSA TDC’s fuss was a show stopper: 0%, even when the TSA TDC tried to act as if they were doing the passengers a favor but that they may not next time.

The valid TX ID is acceptable for flying domestically in the US, so continue to use it without burdening yourself with carrying additional ID when you have no required need for carrying additional ID.

The more ID you travel with together and thereby place at risk of loss/theft, the easier you make life for identity thieves of various sorts. “Less is more” comes to mind.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
https://www.tsa.gov/contact-center/form/complaints

File a complaint and request that the PHX screeners be retrained. Make it brief & to the point, but I'd phrase it as you're a TX resident with an unexpired valid license issued by TX with a temporary out of state address (not that you're living in IL, which could imply that you're really an IL resident). Same if a TSA screener hassles you in the future.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would the TSA have the authority to confiscate a DL? I would certainly call for a police officer if that happened.
Then you could, in theory, go through the procedure for flying without valid ID.

Or, to make this simpler, you could just get a passport card or use your passport (how is losing that any more likely or problematic than losing your drivers license?)
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Would the TSA have the authority to confiscate a DL? I would certainly call for a police officer if that happened.
Then you could, in theory, go through the procedure for flying without valid ID.

Or, to make this simpler, you could just get a passport card or use your passport (how is losing that any more likely or problematic than losing your drivers license?)
I never ever take anything more than I need (IDs, credit cards) when I travel. It's an opportunity to lose something that I didn't need to carry. It's an unnecessarily elevated risk.

If I'm out of town and my wallet gets stolen, I know that when I get back home, I have at least one valid ID to use to start rebuilding. If I'm traveling domestically, the at-home ID is my passport. If I'm traveling outside the country, my DL stays at home.

I shouldn't have to put myself at greater risk or have to pay money for additional IDs just because a screener chooses to impose his/her own rules.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Just don’t worry about the TSA making up stuff like this and just continue to use your Texas ID as usual.
Agree, especially:

1. TSA's website does not specifiy a particular standard for ID/DL; and,

2. Both AZ and TX are REAL ID compliant states (assuming your TX DL is REAL ID compliant); and,

3. TSA accepts various documentation regardless if it is on its own list or not.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ijgordon

When a person ends up having a US passport filed as lost with State and/or Interpol, it can result in some additional hassles during international travel (or otherwise) for the person even after getting and using a valid new/replacement passport. For one of many examples I have seen in practice, a few weeks ago a travel party member was flagged down at German passport control because someone with the same name had a lost passport record accessed.

A lost US state driving license is way less likely to result in future international travel hassles at foreign ports than a lost passport, duly reported as lost — hassles they can come even if the reported passport was lost more than 1/2/4/5/10 years ago.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 22, 2019 at 2:32 am
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:01 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
I have a Texas DL with a an out-of-Texas address on it and have for nearly 20 years. Never once has the TSA not accepted it. A few times checkers have made comments, and once a girl asked for a supervisor but in five seconds after his arrival I was let through. The address on the license is not something required for any TSA screening. Ask for a supervisor, get the doc checkers name, and contact the FSD at the airport so the person can be re-educated. I know over 20 people with TX DLs with out-of-state addresses and none of have ever had a problem either.

Sounds like an untrained screener, let the FSD know.
GUWonder and rustykettel like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.