Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Enhanced ID vs Real ID vs Nondriver ID vs Nondriver ID Renew Online/Mail?

Old Apr 1, 19, 10:37 am
Original Poster

I have a question. Not that long ago i needed to renew my NYS non driver id because it expired. When i did this at the DMV, i brought the necessary doc to get the real id. Enhanced cost 30 dollars more and i did not need it. I have a valid passport as well. I have a family member that has to renew their nondriver id. They wanted to know if they could do it online or mail the form instead of going to the DMV. They already have a valid passport. They do not even travel much at all. From what i read online, if you do it online or my mail, it says not for federal purposes. I read this mean starting next year, you can't fly with it domestically but she doesn't fly much at all. Also read you cannot use it to get into federal building etc. But she does not do that. But can someone plain not for federal purposes meaning? So if jury duty, that would be issue if she has that? But bringing her passport would be good enough right? So would you recommend renewing a nondriver id online as oppose to going t here? Because if you go there, you won't have that not for federal purposes wording whether you get real id or nondriver id.

Thoughts? Anyone here renew online or mail have opinion on this? Its better to just go to DMV to do this right?
Old Apr 1, 19, 12:48 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Take a look at this thread, it may answer some of your questions.
Real ID 10/2020 deadline: best ID to carry? DL? GE? passport?
Old Apr 2, 19, 3:55 am

With a passport the DL real ID compliance is irrelevant. The passport is always compliant and can be used i all cases except for when driving.
Old Apr 8, 19, 12:01 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
A passport will always be good for any kind of travel BUT

I got a real ID because I don’t want to have to carry my passport for domestic travel. If you or your relative is in the same situation you may want to consider getting a real ID.

and in California at least you can’t get a real ID through the mail even if it’s a renewal – you have to go in person with the required documentation.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 19, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by kevinpauly View Post
But can someone plain not for federal purposes meaning?
That basically means the federal government will refuse to accept that ID as a valid ID.

(Note - while I am not sure how exactly the federal government refuses it, given USPS is also a federal agency, I will assume that USPS will not accept the ID as well.)

So if jury duty, that would be issue if she has that?
Yes if the summons is for the U.S. District Court.

But bringing her passport would be good enough right?
Yes. But your passport is not always available. And it can expire as well.

So would you recommend renewing a nondriver id online as oppose to going t here?
I would get the REAL ID still. It is a one-time verification anyway. Once the REAL ID has been issued, the whole online/internet renewal starts again.
Old Apr 8, 19, 1:35 pm

According to the DHS REAL ID Frequently Asked Questions for the Public:
Starting October 1, 2020, every state and territory resident will need to present a REAL ID compliant license/ID, or another acceptable form of identification, for accessing Federal facilities, entering nuclear power plants, and boarding commercial aircraft. This is what we call “card-based” enforcement. The card, itself, must be REAL ID compliant unless the resident is using an alternative acceptable document such as a passport. The Act does not require individuals to present identification where it is not currently required to access a Federal facility (such as to enter the public areas of the Smithsonian) nor does it prohibit an agency from accepting other forms of identity documents other than documents from non-compliant states (such as a U.S. passport or passport card).
The USPS will continue to accept non REAL ID compliant identification documents.

I highly doubt that individuals summoned for jury duty at federal courthouses will be required to present REAL ID compliant documents; that will make it too easy to evade subpoenas or jury service. For what it is worth, I don't recall having to present any form of ID when I reported to jury duty at the United States District Court for the Central District of California.
Old Apr 8, 19, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
I highly doubt that individuals summoned for jury duty at federal courthouses will be required to present REAL ID compliant documents; that will make it too easy to evade subpoenas or jury service.
I believe they are independent issues. But I do agree that it is indeed a loophole.

For what it is worth, I don't recall having to present any form of ID when I reported to jury duty at the United States District Court for the Central District of California.
I recall every single time, I needed to be stop at the security checkpoint in order to show my ID in order to enter U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, regardless branches.
Old Apr 8, 19, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
I recall every single time, I needed to be stop at the security checkpoint in order to show my ID in order to enter U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, regardless branches.
The San Francisco Chronicle agrees with you:
Do I need the Real ID? And other questions about the new California driver's license
Starting Oct. 1, 2020, a regular California driver's license or ID card won't be accepted as a valid form of federal identification. The old cards will still be a valid form of state ID (so you'll be able to get into bars, show it to a cop if you're pulled over, etc.), but they will not be sufficient at federal courthouses, military bases, or — the big one — airports.

<snip>

If you don't go into the DMV and complete the above steps when your license or ID is up for renewal, you'll be issued a federal non-compliant card. It will have the words "Federal Limits Apply" printed on the card, and will not be sufficient to board planes, enter federal courthouses, or access military bases.
Old Apr 8, 19, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
The Postal Service isn't considered to be a Federal agency.
Old Apr 12, 19, 8:31 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by catocony View Post
The Postal Service isn't considered to be a Federal agency.
Actually it is...

The USPS is often mistaken for a government-owned corporation (e.g., Amtrak) because it operates much like a business. It is, however, an "establishment of the executive branch of the Government of the United States", (39 U.S.C. § 201) as it is controlled by Presidential appointees and the Postmaster General. As a government agency, it has many special privileges, including sovereign immunity, eminent domain powers, powers to negotiate postal treaties with foreign nations, and an exclusive legal right to deliver first-class and third-class mail. Indeed, in 2004, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in a unanimous decision that the USPS was not a government-owned corporation, and therefore could not be sued under the Sherman Antitrust Act.[92]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...d_organization
Old Apr 12, 19, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The USPS will continue to accept non REAL ID compliant identification documents.
There is actually 1 instance that the USPS will refuse accepting non-REAL ID compliant identification documents - when you apply your passport through USPS
Old Apr 16, 19, 5:43 am

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
There is actually 1 instance that the USPS will refuse accepting non-REAL ID compliant identification documents - when you apply your passport through USPS
Not sure if serious, but I haven't seen that stated anywhere before. Citation/source?
Old Apr 16, 19, 9:28 am

Exclamation Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Folks,

FlyerTalk is a venue for discussing frequent-flyer and other loyalty programs, and other topic about enhancing your travel experience.

While some natural deviation from the topic is perfectly acceptable, please let's keep the focus of this conversation on forms of identification that are acceptable to use at TSA security checkpoints when traveling by air.

Yes, I'm perfectly aware that I too was guilty of topic drift.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Search this Thread