Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Can someone with knowledge explain if you can go to Europe with felonies?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2019, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum

Hello,

Want to take a European trip(my first) with a good friend. He has a few felonies on his record for forgery and bad checks and lots of misdemeanor arrests and convictions. He has addictions and not made the best choices but he is a lifelong friend to me. He told me he has been arrested in 10 states(mostly misdemeanor offenses) and nothing on his record is violent or sex offenses or drug offenses. Mostly trespassing and panhandling etc.. plus the felonies.

So with that background he wants to get a passport. We would like to fly to Heathrow and stay in London for a few days and then fly to Paris for a few days and then Italy. Trip would last 10 days 2 weeks tops.

Will he most likely be able to get the passport? And if so, because it's a relatively short trip would he be allowed to fly to these countries no problem? I heard something like if it's 90 days or less he doesn't need a visa and it should be okay with the UK and France and Italy. But I am not sure though.

If anyone with knowledge could let me know I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mikebor
Will he most likely be able to get the passport?
No problem based on the scenario.

Note - State Department does not determine passport eligibility based on criminal record. Instead, State Department uses other factors, like outstanding child support, back tax, etc. to determine passport eligibility.

And if so, because it's a relatively short trip would he be allowed to fly to these countries no problem?
Unlikely if your friend is either being honest or the country has access to the U.S. NCIC record.

Even applying for a visa in advance for your friend won't help at all.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by garykung
No problem based on the scenario.

Note - State Department does not determine passport eligibility based on criminal record. Instead, State Department uses other factors, like outstanding child support, back tax, etc. to determine passport eligibility.
State does base passport eligibility based on criminal record, but the circumstances where such criminal record hits a passport applicant with a denial are limited to a small subset of crimes and to current status as a criminal of sort.

If the OP’s friend gets a US passport application fulfilled with a regular US passport issued with no special notation in if, then a short trip to London and Paris would generally work out without issue with the UKBA and Schengen border control authorities.
mikebor likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:16 pm

And if so, because it's a relatively short trip would he be allowed to fly to these countries no problem? I heard something like if it's 90 days or less he doesn't need a visa and it should be okay with the UK and France and Italy.
Schengen countries will check passports against the SiS database (Schengen Information System). UK will check againts its national database and SiS (if no hard brexit, then they will lose access to SiS).

So unless your friend has caused trouble before in Europe or is in an Interpol Database, no problem to go in.

Actually, depending on how busy they are in passport control in France / Italy, they may not bother to check an US passport. Stamp and in.
mikebor, GUWonder and seawolf like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by schrodingerdog
Actually, depending on how busy they are in passport control in France / Italy, they may not bother to check an US passport. Stamp and in.
At my last CDG connection, the passport control agent was busy....busy happily talking to a colleague. Just stamped and didn't even make eye contact with me.
mikebor and GUWonder like this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:25 am
Suspended

So unless your friend has caused trouble before in Europe or is in an Interpol Database, no problem to go in..
There is some exception to that. The US does engage in providing some advance notice to some foreign national authorities about the upcoming arrival of some valid US passport users and their criminal past without the use of any Interpol database or any EU-wide database to cause them potential problems, but it’s not applicable for most people with a criminal past.
mikebor likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:43 pm

Programs: RFC
French Immigration is usually quite consistent. If you want to enter the Shengen region then Italy is the slackest <redacted by moderator> for entry, and once you're in then you're generally good for travel within the region.

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 7, 2019 at 10:24 am Reason: Not practical trusted travelers advice/information
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
French Immigration is usually quite consistent. If you want to enter the Shengen region then Italy is the slackest <redacted by moderator> for entry, and once you're in then you're generally good for travel within the region.
Not the guys at London St Pancras. They literally stamped South Korean / Japanese / US passport faster than you can imagine it's possible. It actually took way more time to process my EU ID card.

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 7, 2019 at 10:25 am Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I fondly remember dozens of trips into Shengen when they never even stopped me. Hold up a US Passport and just get waived through. At Schiphol I don't think I ever got within 6 feet of a booth.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
I'd probably go to the UK last. If you enter Schengen through Italy or France, you're unlikely to have a real conversation with an agent, but the UKBA loves asking questions. If they find out about the criminal history, it's a toss-up about whether your friend gets in. If that's at the start of your trip, denial of entry into the UK could affect ability to enter other countries using SIS. Conversely, if it's at the end, at least you've been to 2/3.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:59 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
We assume your friend hasn’t missed dates, gone AWOL, or has outstanding warrants

Given the scenario you propose, it seems that you are assuming he has taken care of all these various arrest etc. I would be concerned with someone with that much trouble that they have not taken care of all their responsibilities around fines, treatment, jail time etc. The first step would be to see if you could get a passport and if so that would at least give you some information. I wouldn’t plan any trips or put any money down until he has a passport in hand.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pewpew
I'd probably go to the UK last. If you enter Schengen through Italy or France, you're unlikely to have a real conversation with an agent, but the UKBA loves asking questions. If they find out about the criminal history, it's a toss-up about whether your friend gets in. If that's at the start of your trip, denial of entry into the UK could affect ability to enter other countries using SIS. Conversely, if it's at the end, at least you've been to 2/3.
For regular entries into the UK at staffed passport control counters, my travel party members and I have never been asked any question about criminal records as far as I know. And given the volume of travel involved and some other stuff, I am pretty confident that they don’t usually ask such questions unless tipped off already or highly inclined to frustrate entry even before questioning.

Not the guys at London St Pancras. They literally stamped South Korean / Japanese / US passport faster than you can imagine it's possible. It actually took way more time to process my EU ID card.
That’s pretty consistent for French passport control at rather high volume ports. Of the last 100 or so entries into the Schengen area in France using my ordinary US passports, I have had questions once and that was at CDG — and that was despite the passports having every possible indication that I likely have exceeded 90 days of staying in any given 180 day period. If the objective is to enter Schengen with the lowest chance of being questioned when presenting a very recently issued US passport, CDG is a great port of entry, even better than MXP and FCO in some cases.

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 8, 2019 at 10:27 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder

For regular entries into the UK at staffed passport control counters, my travel party members and I have never been asked any question about criminal records as far as I know. And given the volume of travel involved and some other stuff, I am pretty confident that they don’t usually ask such questions unless tipped off already or highly inclined to frustrate entry even before questioning.

That’s pretty consistent for French passport control at rather high volume ports. Of the last 100 or so entries into the Schengen area in France using my ordinary US passports, I have had questions once and that was at CDG — and that was despite the passports having every possible indication that I likely have exceeded 90 days of staying in any given 180 day period. If the objective is to enter Schengen with the lowest chance of being questioned when presenting a very recently issued US passport, CDG is a great port of entry, even better than MXP and FCO in some cases.
Unless something has changed, I would tend to agree.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:22 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by pewpew
Or just use the e-gates from this summer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.