Does the US keep track of visa denials?

Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Does the US keep track of visa denials?

Hi. I used 2 different date of birth and name with fingerprint and they refused my case like 23 years ago but now I am european national with real name and date of birth. Can I visit to USA? Or they still have old record?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:04 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
You can apply for a Visa, but they will ask if you've ever been refused a Visa, to which lying is a federal offence and will result in immediate Visa denial and being barred entry.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

fingerprint

Mean is that i can not enter ever in USA?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
No. If you were permanently barred (convicted of serious offences, or overstaying a Visa), you would have to apply to your local US embassy for a waiver to enter the country, which requires you convincing them that the reason you were previously denied entry is no longer a concern.

As the reason you were previously denied entry is you lied to CBP (and lying about your date of birth would be considered an attempt to mislead them as to your identity) you would have been barred for a number of years. 23 years is likely to significantly exceed the barring they enforced, however you should definitely contact your local US embassy - no-one on FT will have the answers for you. It does not mean you can never enter the country, but it does mean you cannot use VWP.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by adishari
Hi. I used 2 different date of birth and name with fingerprint and they refused my case like 23 years ago but now I am european national with real name and date of birth. Can I visit to USA? Or they still have old record?
The records are almost certainly still there, and the fingerprint match done on arrival at a US port of entry or equivalent was meant to catch this kind of situation too.

Apply for a US visa at the nearest US embassy/consulate and see how it goes. And make sure your answers are complete and truthful.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA, LH, BA
Originally Posted by GUWonder

The records are almost certainly still there, and the fingerprint match done on arrival at a US port of entry or equivalent was meant to catch this kind of situation too.

Apply for a US visa at the nearest US embassy/consulate and see how it goes. And make sure your answers are complete and truthful.
for the purpose of seeking VWP entry into the US, does it matter if the person has acquired new nationality(from Swedish to Australian)?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by geometry
for the purpose of seeking VWP entry into the US, does it matter if the person has acquired new nationality(from Swedish to Australian)?
The question for VWP is if you have ever had a visa refused/revoked/cancelled, not if you with this nationality have. If you're Indian and get a visa revoked and later acquire UK nationality, you're still VWP-ineligible based on the earlier revocation. That doesn't necessarily mean that a visa application for our now-British citizen will be refused, but an ESTA application should be.

The OP here might get lucky and slip through the cracks, but trying to enter VWP when you've had a previous denial or revocation is a great way to get refused.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA, LH, BA
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
The question for VWP is if you have ever had a visa refused/revoked/cancelled, not if you with this nationality have. If you're Indian and get a visa revoked and later acquire UK nationality, you're still VWP-ineligible based on the earlier revocation. That doesn't necessarily mean that a visa application for our now-British citizen will be refused, but an ESTA application should be.

The OP here might get lucky and slip through the cracks, but trying to enter VWP when you've had a previous denial or revocation is a great way to get refused.
I had a friend who renounced her US citizenship and applied for naturalization in a new country in order to accept a job in that country. She was originally born in Portland. Her new citizenship in the new country meant that she had to apply for a US visitor's visa. (since the new country is not one of the VWP countries) When she went to the US consulate, the visa officer asked "why do you want to visit the US if you renounced your citizenship and didn't want to be one of us no more?" Not sure if the officer was kidding or not, she gave the only answer she could: "the rest of my family, grandpa, grandma, mom, dad, father-in-law, children, uncles, nieces and last, but not least, my dear husband re all still US citizens) She got her visitor's visa, of course, but still....
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by geometry
I had a friend who renounced her US citizenship and applied for naturalization in a new country in order to accept a job in that country. She was originally born in Portland. Her new citizenship in the new country meant that she had to apply for a US visitor's visa. (since the new country is not one of the VWP countries) When she went to the US consulate, the visa officer asked "why do you want to visit the US if you renounced your citizenship and didn't want to be one of us no more?" Not sure if the officer was kidding or not, she gave the only answer she could: "the rest of my family, grandpa, grandma, mom, dad, father-in-law, children, uncles, nieces and last, but not least, my dear husband re all still US citizens) She got her visitor's visa, of course, but still....
If you friend had said that she renounced her US Citizenship to avoid Double Taxation (well technically US Taxation on Worldwide Income), he or she could have been from entering the United States due to the Reed Amendment.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:41 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Folks,

Please get back to the subject of the OP's question, which is NOT renouncing US citizenship.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP must apply for a visa as he is almost certainly VWP ineligible. Tell the truth, no shading the truth, on the visa application and see what happens.

Bear in mind that even if OP slips through the VWP prohibition and is granted an ESTA, that is no guarantee that it won't all be figured out on arrival and that he won't be on a flight back to his origin. While that could happen with a visa too, it is a lot, lot less likely.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Data point: my Chilean wife was denied an embassy issued visitor visa many years ago but upon initiation of the VWP for Chile had no problems being approved twice for ESTA. Will be applying this month for a third time.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:17 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo
Data point: my Chilean wife was denied an embassy issued visitor visa many years ago but upon initiation of the VWP for Chile had no problems being approved twice for ESTA. Will be applying this month for a third time.
Your Chilean wife had a name change between the time of her (US?) visa application denial and the time of her ESTA application? How many years in between the visa application denial and her initial ESTA application?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Your Chilean wife had a name change between the time of her (US?) visa application denial and the time of her ESTA application? How many years in between the visa application denial and her initial ESTA application?
No name change, remember in Chile, the wife does not take on the name of the husband.

Must of been one to two years before VWP started. I was doubtful she would be approved for ESTA but was and even a second time. Will try for number three this month.

The first time we entered at DFW which did not have the obnoxious instruction that ESTA first timers must go to a live agent like at other airports and used the automated kiosk. When we handed over our slips at the booth, the agent payed no attention to her and directed his probe/test questions to me, none having anything to do about my wife. Second time we entered at LAX with her daughter and infant grandson and saw an agent in the family expedited line with no problems.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A lot depends on why the visa was denied so many years ago. It is also possible that one is admitted under an ESTA five times and then CBP tumbles to the fact that there was a long-time ago visa denial and the individual is denied entry on the sixth occasion.

Without knowing the exact facts, I would not draw comparisons between separate results.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.