body scanner on flight via 3 airports

Old Feb 9, 19, 4:53 am
Original Poster

body scanner on flight via 3 airports

i am travelling with my family (kids are 4, 8 and 9) from germany to amsterdam to detroit to a small town and back small town to atlanta to france to germany.

1. we do not like to use a bodyscanner. we will start at a German airport to fly to amsterdam. will we have to use one in amsterdam or in detroit when we change planes and on our back tour in atlanta or in paris back to germany?

planes there and on our back tour in atlanta or in paris?

2. is it still possible to opt out in the us? is this possible in germany, the netherlands and france?

thank you so much.
Old Feb 13, 19, 9:30 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by Basti View Post
i am travelling with my family (kids are 4, 8 and 9) from germany to amsterdam to detroit to a small town and back small town to atlanta to france to germany.

1. we do not like to use a bodyscanner. we will start at a German airport to fly to amsterdam. will we have to use one in amsterdam or in detroit when we change planes and on our back tour in atlanta or in paris back to germany?

planes there and on our back tour in atlanta or in paris?

2. is it still possible to opt out in the us? is this possible in germany, the netherlands and france?

thank you so much.
I can not speak to what experience you will have in Germany or Amsterdam, but in the US the AIT is the primary type of screening. You can find the posted information about flying with children in the US at the TSA Traveling with Children site.

Since all of your children are under the age of 12, this particular passage should be of interest to you:

"TSA has developed modified screening procedures for children who appear under the age of 12. TSA Officers will consult parents or the traveling guardian about the best way to relieve any concerns during the screening of a child."

As to your second question, yes, you may always opt out of the AIT screening at all US Airports.
Yoshi212 and Basti like this.
Old Feb 13, 19, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso View Post
I can not speak to what experience you will have in Germany or Amsterdam, but in the US the AIT is the primary type of screening. You can find the posted information about flying with children in the US at the TSA Traveling with Children site.

Since all of your children are under the age of 12, this particular passage should be of interest to you:

"TSA has developed modified screening procedures for children who appear under the age of 12. TSA Officers will consult parents or the traveling guardian about the best way to relieve any concerns during the screening of a child."

As to your second question, yes, you may always opt out of the AIT screening at all US Airports.
I think it is only fair to tell OP that if a person Ops Out of the Whole Body Imager (AIT) that person will get a full body pat down, man, woman, or child.
Old Feb 13, 19, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA, SPG, Hilton Gold, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I have opted out in Germany. Even with my very limited German it was not difficult to get across. Like in the US it resulted in a <full body pat down> though the Germans were a bit kinder about it. It did take a bit of time so add in 15-20 additional minutes for the family.
I cannot speak for Amsterdam but in the US you will have to clear security again in DTW to fly to the small town but you can opt out to the <full body pat down>. In ATL you may not have to reclear security fr a domestic to international flight.
Basti likes this.

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 14, 19 at 6:34 am Reason: Please leave the commentary and charged terms for the Policy Debate Forum
Old Feb 15, 19, 7:00 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold
Opting out is your right in all EU member countries.
Basti and FriendlySkies like this.
Old Feb 15, 19, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K, *G, Global Entry, Hertz PC
Well the pat down at SFO international the other day (I did not opt out, and was told it was random down the TSA Pre lane) was rather concentrated on the waist and groin with a proper feel between the legs. I have to say it quite made me flinch when he caught me in a rather sensitive area and I uttered "bloody hell, wasn't expecting that, I wouldn't do your job". Still he had latex gloves on !
Basti likes this.
Old Feb 16, 19, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mfkne View Post
Opting out is your right in all EU member countries.
thank you! is it the same in the US?

war there body scanners in small cities? will there be another security check in atlanta or will we be prechecked?
Old Feb 16, 19, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes. One may always opt out. As others note, it will result in a pat down. Depending on how small the airport is for the "small town" departure, make sure you allow sufficient extra time as TSA resources at some small airports are constrained and there may be a wait associated with the pat down. The pat down itself won't take more than 1-2 minutes.
Basti likes this.
Old Feb 16, 19, 11:14 am
Original Poster

thank you so much. we opted out some years ago and have no problem with it. it took longer than the body scanner procedure. so i would like to know how often we have to do it. it is interesting that there is another security at the first airport in the us.
Old Feb 16, 19, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gsoltso View Post

thank you for this. yes, they are under the age of 12. so this is important for us.
gsoltso likes this.
Old Feb 16, 19, 1:35 pm

I'm always opting out - and while they don't like it - it rarely adds more than 1-2min to the screening process.
Basti likes this.
Old Feb 16, 19, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K, *G, Global Entry, Hertz PC
After my experience at SFO with having the crown jewels ruffled, I'll never opt out. For those that do are you sure you are doing it for the right reasons
nancypants and Basti like this.