Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Passport question [dual US/Dutch citizen flying one way US -> Netherlands]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passport question [dual US/Dutch citizen flying one way US -> Netherlands]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:19 pm

I'm also someone with UK/USA passports and never had an issue leaving the US on the US passport and entering the UK on the UK passport.

On one occasion I got questioned by the airline security screening at LHR prior to checking in for a flight back to the US about the lack of an entry stamp on the US passport and so ended up showing them the UK passport. I think the carrier was AA.

The last few times I have been flying BA out of LHR T5 and there is no such screening.

So not sure about the rules in the Netherlands but I doubt it would be an issue to do it this way.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:49 am

Yeah I would say easiest (and we're splitting hairs here) is to show the Dutch passport the entire time. If the airline hassles you about an onward ticket, tell them you're also Dutch and show them the passport if they ask. I have never had a problem leaving the US with my daughter and showing her German passport instead of her US.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:38 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by 1P
Never ever show both passports together. It's an open invitation, at best, to further investigation by an officious customs agent who may want to know whether you are entitled to hold both, at worst, to confiscation of one or even both passports. In these days of terrorism and fake passports, anything that arouses suspicion will result in trouble for you.

The rule is: always show the passport of the country you are flying to. This is especially important when flying to the US. Then you always need to present your US passport when leaving the other country since the airline will need to know that you have permission to enter the US.

dual nationalities are perfectly legal where allowed. family has both UK/US nationalities, and showing both passports to US chek in staff who are looking for UK visa etc never invites any questions
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
dual nationalities are perfectly legal where allowed. family has both UK/US nationalities, and showing both passports to US chek in staff who are looking for UK visa etc never invites any questions
At least for the post-WW2 era, Dutch restrictions against dual-citizenship have been far more rigid for far longer than UK or US restrictions on dual-citizenship.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by 1P
Never ever show both passports together.
That should be qualified: never show both passports together to immigration officers. You can certainly show two passports to an airline agent at check-in and simply tell them that you're exiting country A on the first and entering country B on the second.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.