FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Flying with framed paintings as carry-on (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1949500-flying-framed-paintings-carry.html)

craz Jan 6, 2019 11:43 am

Flying with framed paintings as carry-on

As per the title Id like to carry a painting on board. I doubt it will fit thru the xray machine once enclosed in cardboard to protect it, maybe wont even w/o the cardboard. Is there any way to get it thru? w/o checking it as a checked bag.

1s time doing this yes its an expensive painting no not millions, yes could pay to unframe it and reframe it once at its destination, no dont want to go thru that expense

A domestic flight that will be on a widebody so will put it into a closet once its aboard

just dont want to get to TSA and be told sorry you cant take that thru with you and then miss the flight

Often1 Jan 6, 2019 3:39 pm

<redacted>. However, TSA does have the means to screen larger items which are required to be transported, e.g. wheelchairs and the like.

A better question is what the plan is if you can make it through the checkpoint?

craz Jan 6, 2019 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30619297)
<redacted>. However, TSA does have the means to screen larger items which are required to be transported, e.g. wheelchairs and the like.

A better question is what the plan is if you can make it through the checkpoint?

thx, and my plan is as I stated to put it into a closet on the plane, which Ive seen done on my Inbounding Intl flights many a time, its apx 25 x 30 including the frame

Loren Pechtel Jan 6, 2019 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30619297)

I've seen people fly with oversize paintings--they're flat enough they can generally lay on top of the stuff in the bins.

Often1 Jan 6, 2019 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel (Post 30619642)
I've seen people fly with oversize paintings--they're flat enough they can generally lay on top of the stuff in the bins.

OP says it won't.

Boggie Dog Jan 6, 2019 6:34 pm

TSA could manually screen the painting and its container. What is the plan if TSA says it can't go? Depending on the media used there could be some trace chemicals which could alarm the ETD tester.

craz Jan 6, 2019 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 30619939)
TSA could manually screen the painting and its container. What is the plan if TSA says it can't go? Depending on the media used there could be some trace chemicals which could alarm the ETD tester.

no plan B as of yet. Could either if enough time go back to the parking lot and put it in the trunk, or check it in, both I prefer not doing, there will still be a couple of more flights after mine so hopefully I will beable to get on one of them if I need time to find a place to put it till I get back.

Ive taken statues but they went into a bag that went thru the machine, no I dont do this for my work, simply little by little bringing certain items to my older brother that I dont want that belonged to our parents when they were alive. Most items went into numerous suitcases that I took out there till now, now I got to start to get the paintings out there.

chollie Jan 6, 2019 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by craz (Post 30620469)
no plan B as of yet. Could either if enough time go back to the parking lot and put it in the trunk, or check it in, both I prefer not doing, there will still be a couple of more flights after mine so hopefully I will beable to get on one of them if I need time to find a place to put it till I get back.

Ive taken statues but they went into a bag that went thru the machine, no I dont do this for my work, simply little by little bringing certain items to my older brother that I dont want that belonged to our parents when they were alive. Most items went into numerous suitcases that I took out there till now, now I got to start to get the paintings out there.

TSA can clear it outside the xray - after all, if you're willing to pay for a seat, you can take a cello on, and I suspect a cello in a hard-case is pushing the limits of what the x-ray can accept.

Just try to wrap it with ease of unwrapping in mind, if it becomes necessary. I've always got a few feet of tape with me.

Boggie Dog Jan 6, 2019 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by craz (Post 30620469)

Depending on value, FedEx in a specially prepared wood box would be one alternative. Any art dealer would know how to prep and ship.

craz Jan 7, 2019 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 30620569)
Depending on value, FedEx in a specially prepared wood box would be one alternative. Any art dealer would know how to prep and ship.

Its value doesnt warrant such expensive shipping and packing.Thats the problem, if the value was way up there I could justify spending what need be to have it done right. Plus it would probably be cheaper to simply unframe them and get them reframed at their destination.

Looks like I will roll the dice, thx everyone

Mtbscott Jan 15, 2019 2:34 pm

Just from experience I've bought two paintings from the same artist while visiting NYC. The first one was large but still an unmounted canvas that could be rolled up. He wrapped it in plastic, I took it to a Fedex/Kinkos, bought a shipping tube and shipped it home.
The second piece was much smaller and already stretched on a wood frame. He wrapped it in plastic and it barely fit in my carryon bag, but made it home that way. I wouldn't try to bring on a large mounted canvas. Assuming they let it through security the airline may still scoff at bringing something like that onboard. I would ship it if I was you.

catocony Jan 20, 2019 8:39 am

Closets are few and far between on a lot of planes these days. Unless you're flying in First, I would not assume you'll have a closet to put anything into.

craz Jan 20, 2019 9:27 pm

Update

OK flew out last Thurs, sorry for the delay in reporting what happened but the hotels I stayed at had super super slow WiFi

The box with 2 paintings didnt fit the xray machine as I thought it wouldnt. I was told to walk thru and to leave the box leaning against the other machine and the TSA agent called for a manual scan. waited apx 10 mins before the other agent was able to take care of things. I was told to take the rope off it as he went to get some tape to reseal it. he opened the box enought to see all there were were the 2 paintings and he ran a swipe over the glass of 1 of the paintings. scaned the swipe and helped me reseal the box and off i went

No one said boo to me about boarding with box I was flying UA and board with group 1. As I entered the aircarft a 787-10 (never flew on any UA 787) i asked the FA at the door about placing it in a closest to which she answered sorry there are no closets on this aircraft, I asked about bIz class cabin, and she said I told you there are no closets at all on this plane and suggested I put it behind the last row of seats in coach. As I got to my row (Prem Econony- new seats) I pulled down the bin to put my carry-on in it and to my amazement the bin was Huge. i quickly put my carry-on down , picked up the box and was able by slanting it get it to fit in. Success!

Low and behold as some non-rev FAs boarded just before they were to close the door both of them pop open some closet doors to put their stuff into it, either of which would have held my box

Flight was 90 mins delayed taking off and after we were 1/2 way to LA I searched out the FA that lied to me and in front of the other FAs gave her a piece of my mind for lying to me. she was like a deer looking into oncoming headlights and tried to offer up some very lame excuse and a couple of the FAs told her dont make it any worse then you already have

any other aircraft but the 787-10 I hardly doubt the box would have fit into the bin, then again since its 2-3-2 and I was in the 2 seats and my row mate didnt have any carry-on it all worked out

I did get to EWR 2+ hrs before departure time just in case TSA denied me to take it as a carry-on

Thx to all who opined it all helped me get a Plan B and C into place just in case

Section 107 Jan 24, 2019 9:35 am

Originally Posted by craz (Post 30680266)
I did get to EWR 2+ hrs before departure time just in case, TSA denied me to take it as a carry-on

is the comma misplaced and I am reading the sentence wrong or are you saying at EWR the TSA did not allow you to bring it on the plane?

TWA884 Jan 24, 2019 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Section 107 (Post 30695161)
is the comma misplaced and I am reading the sentence wrong or are you saying at EWR the TSA did not allow you to bring it on the plane?

@craz was allowed to bring the paintings on the plane.

Originally Posted by craz (Post 30680266)
The box with 2 paintings didnt fit the xray machine as I thought it wouldnt. I was told to walk thru and to leave the box leaning against the other machine and the TSA agent called for a manual scan. waited apx 10 mins before the other agent was able to take care of things. I was told to take the rope off it as he went to get some tape to reseal it. he opened the box enought to see all there were were the 2 paintings and he ran a swipe over the glass of 1 of the paintings. scaned the swipe and helped me reseal the box and off i went

No one said boo to me about boarding with box I was flying UA and board with group 1. As I entered the aircarft a 787-10 (never flew on any UA 787) i asked the FA at the door about placing it in a closest to which she answered sorry there are no closets on this aircraft, I asked about bIz class cabin, and she said I told you there are no closets at all on this plane and suggested I put it behind the last row of seats in coach. As I got to my row (Prem Econony- new seats) I pulled down the bin to put my carry-on in it and to my amazement the bin was Huge. i quickly put my carry-on down , picked up the box and was able by slanting it get it to fit in. Success!