Multi-airline / multi-country visa Issue?

Old Jan 2, 19, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Multi-airline / multi-country visa Issue?

I recently booked a multi-leg (multi) partner award with UA consisting of 3 OJs. After booking, it occurred to me that there could potentially be a visa issue, so I'm checking in to see if the folks here can provide some advice/reassurance. The three OJs are all at least 30 days apart from one another, so I will not even be able to get a through check-in. US passport holder, FWIW.

Leg 1: April --> KTM-GYD on TK
Leg 2: July --> PEK-ULN on CA
Leg 3: Aug --> BOM-DEL on AI

I will get a visa on arrival for GYD and no visa needed for ULN. I already have a 10-yr visa for China and will get a visa on arrival in Nepal. I'm a bit concerned that an over-zealous (or under-trained) agent at KTM or PEK will ask to see a copy of my Indian e-visa for Leg 3. Due to e-visa validity limitations, I won't apply for the Indian e-visa until after the trip to ULN.

According to traveldoc.aero, there is no visa needed for Leg 3 (BOM-DEL), as it's a wholly domestic segment. I'd try TIMATIC as well, but I couldn't find an interface that allows a multi-segment routing.

My hunch is that I should be ok to travel as is, but I'm checking in for advice out of an abundance of caution.
Old Jan 2, 19, 10:00 am

Programs: UA Plat, 0.8MM; PPL
I think it will be difficult for the TK or CA agent to even see the AI segment. They'd have to go out of their way to pull up the entire reservation (assuming they even can).
Old Jan 2, 19, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sincx View Post
I think it will be difficult for the TK or CA agent to even see the AI segment. They'd have to go out of their way to pull up the entire reservation (assuming they even can).
Excellent.
Old Jan 2, 19, 12:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA Platinum/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
The agent will only be concerned about the immediate itinerary. However, depending on the country, they may require to see proof of how/when you were planning to leave the country. Also, review TIMATIC to see if there were any specific visa-on-arrival requirements. For example, Bolivia requires you to have a visa application in hand, and I was nearly denied boarding because an overzealous employee read the rule literally.
swingaling likes this.
Old Jan 2, 19, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by swingaling View Post
I will get a visa on arrival for GYD
Are you sure? Timatic says :

E-visas can be obtained before departure at https://evisa.gov.az/en/
Nationals of USA can obtain a visa on arrival for a maximum stay of 30 days. Passengers must:
- arrive on a direct flight from New York (JFK) with Azerbaijan Airlines (J2), and
- have a passport valid for at least 4 months from the arrival date.
Passengers with an official invitation letter issued by the State Migration Service of Azerbaijan can obtain a visa on arrival. They must have a passport valid for at least 4 months from the arrival date.
Staff of the Asian Development Bank and their dependents can obtain a visa on arrival if they have an official invitation letter from the Asian Development Bank. They must have a passport valid for at least 4 months from the arrival date.
The first doesn't apply to you as you're not coming from JFK. I'm guessing you don't work for ADB, which leaves only the middle option.

For ULN you will likely need to hold an onward ticket (I presume to India?) - will you have already purchased that one before flying PEK-ULN?

Warning:
Visitors not holding return/onward tickets could be refused entry.
​​​​​​​
Old Jan 2, 19, 3:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
As this is a multi-airline / multi-country immigration / country travel document query and not UA related, will move this to Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues where travel document queries are regularly handled.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jan 2, 19, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
TK will not know or care about #2 and CA will not care about #3 .

You should however check TIMATIC for each of these as a separate journey, because they are. In particular, I am not sure that you have read the VOA rules for GYD correctly and you should also make certain that, if required, you have paper copies of your e-ticket receipts showing onward travel out of the countries in question.
swingaling likes this.
Old Jan 3, 19, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by swingaling View Post
According to traveldoc.aero, there is no visa needed for Leg 3 (BOM-DEL)
Check this thread.
Old Jan 3, 19, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by docbert View Post
The first doesn't apply to you as you're not coming from JFK. I'm guessing you don't work for ADB, which leaves only the middle option.

For ULN you will likely need to hold an onward ticket (I presume to India?) - will you have already purchased that one before flying PEK-ULN?
Yes, you're correct. I misspoke. I'll need an e-visa for Azerbaijan.

And I plan to book my onward travel from both GYD and ULN prior to departure, but haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
I saw that thread some months ago. However, I'm not sure it applies, as none of the carriers on my ticket is responsible for transporting me into India.
Old Jan 3, 19, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
TK will not know or care about #2 and CA will not care about #3 .

You should however check TIMATIC for each of these as a separate journey, because they are. In particular, I am not sure that you have read the VOA rules for GYD correctly and you should also make certain that, if required, you have paper copies of your e-ticket receipts showing onward travel out of the countries in question.
Thanks for confirming.

Yes, you’re correct about the GYD visa requirements. I always travel with printed eTickets, especially when traveling on separate tickets like this. More often than not, they come in handy. And sometimes they’re needed simply to gain admittance to the airport terminal (DEL, MNL, etc).

Search this Thread