Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

resident alien flying on a Brazilian passport in the USA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:21 am
Original Poster

My girlfriend is a Brazilian, she's been in the USA for decades, with Resident Alien card, Calif. driver's license, utility bills in her name, etc. etc. Can she fly in the USA using her Brazilian passport as her ID or does she need to apply for and get a Real ID card? Naturally, this question refers to the time period AFTER 1 October 2020.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:59 am

A foreign passport is fine, but why wouldn't she just use her green card?

Plus, next time she's renewing her CA DL in person, it's not particularly difficult to get the "Real ID" version.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...identification
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A foreign-government issued passport is on the list of acceptable ID. There is no restriction or requirement that a LPR not rely on the foreign passport. But, it is always nice to have the passport as a backup, but I would strongly suggest that if she does not have a Real ID DL, that she have hers updated at renewal.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Wootherspoon51
My girlfriend is a Brazilian, she's been in the USA for decades, with Resident Alien card, Calif. driver's license, utility bills in her name, etc. etc. Can she fly in the USA using her Brazilian passport as her ID or does she need to apply for and get a Real ID card? Naturally, this question refers to the time period AFTER 1 October 2020.
She can fly with her Brazilian passport. Also, she will probably still be able to fly with her California driving license as long as it's still valid or not expired by more than a year.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
ok...so help me out with this as I'm in a similar situation...why isn't her Cali drivers license not considered a real ID and what is a real ID in this case?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by closetasfan
ok...so help me out with this as I'm in a similar situation...why isn't her Cali drivers license not considered a real ID and what is a real ID in this case?
Suggest you Google "Real ID driver license." "Real ID" -- with a capital R -- is a term of art in the U.S.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:39 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moving to the Practical Travel Safety/Security forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz moderator
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Suggest you Google "Real ID driver license." "Real ID" -- with a capital R -- is a term of art in the U.S.
Prior issued ones are valid with caveat, as post below notes

Last edited by s0ssos; Jan 3, 2019 at 3:06 am
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:30 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by s0ssos
And prior issued ones are not valid anyway (feds decided CA's process insufficient)
Not completely accurate. Previously issued CA Real ID's are valid.
The New York Times:

Another Headache for California From the D.M.V., This Time Involving ‘Real ID’

The Department of Homeland Security notified officials at the California D.M.V. in November that its process for verifying residency before issuing identification cards — including driver’s licenses — did not meet federal requirements. California has already issued cards to 2.3 million individuals so far. The D.M.V., which did not immediately disclose that notification to the public, is now seeking to ease confusion among those affected.

The agency has said that Californians who received an ID this year do not have to have their cards reissued. But new applicants will need to show two forms of residency verification — instead of one — beginning this spring in order to receive a Real ID card.

But in November, the D.M.V. was told in a letter from the Department of Homeland Security that its system was not compliant with federal requirements. Beginning in April, individuals will have to provide two forms of proof of identity in person.

Enterprise-Record:
Q&A: Confused by REAL ID? You are not alone

Q: I renewed my license on Nov. 10 and was very happy to receive a new license a week later with the little golden bear in the upper right-hand corner. Beside my passport, I had two forms of documentation, an SSA-1099 and a car pink slip, both of which have my address which is what the Department of Homeland Security says is required. So I am caught between Uncle Sam and the California DMV. Do you think that this will get resolved before my next trip in August? Bob Hughes

A: Good gosh, yes. Anyone who currently holds a REAL ID license or identification card does not have to do anything. Read that again. You do not need to do anything.

As long as the card is valid, it will be accepted by the federal government when it implements the new requirement in October 2020. But you will need to supply the DMV with a second proof of California residency when your license is up for renewal. The DMV has been using the method originally approved by Homeland Security to collect one proof of California residency. Recently, DHS informed the DMV that the current method is no longer acceptable, so the state is adjusting to meet the revised requirement.

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 2, 2019 at 9:38 pm Reason: Add second source
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:54 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Given the following two facts:
1. A Permanent Resident Card (aka I-551 or Green Card) is a form of ID compliant with the REAL ID Act's requirements for use at TSA checkpoints.
2. "If you are a permanent resident age 18 or older, you are required to have a valid Green Card in your possession at all times."

She can use her Green Card for air travel (point 1) and will have it with her when she is traveling (point 2), so there's no reason to worry about whether a California driver's license is sufficient or not.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
Not completely accurate. Previously issued CA Real ID's are valid.
Enterprise-Record:
Thanks

My source was https://www.sfgate.com/local/article...e-13491667.php
I guess the prior issued ones, which are said to not have been issued correctly without residency verification, are valid until renewal? How does that make any sense? If they are valid, then they should remain valid. If they are not valid, then they should not be valid.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:10 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Thanks

My source was https://www.sfgate.com/local/article...e-13491667.php
I guess the prior issued ones, which are said to not have been issued correctly without residency verification, are valid until renewal? How does that make any sense? If they are valid, then they should remain valid. If they are not valid, then they should not be valid.
That's because at the time that those licenses were issued, the DMV was using a verification method which was originally approved by DHS as proof of residence. The previously issued Real ID licenses and identification cards remain valid until their expiration dates, at which time two proofs of residence will be required. I guess that I won't be able to renew my CDL by mail in four and a half years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.