Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Alcohol in checked luggage - resealable flask?

Old Dec 30, 18, 11:55 am
Original Poster

I'm traveling from the US to an international destination in a couple of weeks and I would like to take 2 liters of alcohol in my checked luggage. Two liters (1 liter per person) is the limit for the country I'm visiting. I would like to carry the spirits in a couple of flat, resealable flasks. I would prefer to use the flasks because they are less breakable and quite a bit lighter than using the original bottles. I've looked at discussions about packing alcohol in checked luggage, and I've seen references to a requirement that the alcohol be in the original retail packaging. The flasks I want to use are the kind that are sold to people who want sneak alcohol onto cruise ships, so they should be adequate for my purpose.

Does anybody know if the TSA really cares about how alcohol is packaged? Does anybody have experience carrying a couple of liters of spirits in these kinds of containers on flights?
Old Dec 30, 18, 2:29 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Orville View Post
Does anybody know if the TSA really cares about how alcohol is packaged? Does anybody have experience carrying a couple of liters of spirits in these kinds of containers on flights?
From the TSA website:
Alcoholic beverages

Checked Bags: Yes

Alcoholic beverages with more than 24% but not more than 70% alcohol are limited in checked bags to 5 liters (1.3 gallons) per passenger and must be in unopened retail packaging. Alcoholic beverages with 24% alcohol or less are not subject to limitations in checked bags.

<snip>

For more information, see FAA regulation: 49 CFR 175.10(a)(4).
Old Dec 30, 18, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I know that's what it says.
I've seen references to a requirement that the alcohol be in the original retail packaging.
I'm asking if anybody has experience with this. Do they really enforce this, or will they allow it in other containers?
Old Dec 30, 18, 4:38 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Folks,

When posting in this thread, please keep in mind that the FlyerTalk Rules prohibit supporting, encouraging or promoting illegal activity (FT Rule 15).

The Federal Aviation Regulations, specifically, FAR 175.10, state that alcoholic beverages that contain more than 24% alcohol by volume are permitted in carry-on or checked baggage only when carried in unopened retail packaging.

Those regulations have the force of law.

Advocating anything to circumvent these regulations is against our rules.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Dec 31, 18, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
Even if it was permissible under TSA rules to decant them into another container, you risk issues at destination customs if you can't easily verify the contents of the flasks, which you could do easily if it was in retail bottles.

When I check wine bottles, I put them in these:
Amazon Amazon

Not only are they bubble wrapped but they're watertight in the event of damage. You can even find heavier duty equivalent products if your risk tolerance is lower.