Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RatherBeOnATrain
U.S. Customs and Border Protection is not able to use overtime to cover sick call-outs, causing waits more than an hour long for non-U.S. citizens and close to an hour for U.S. citizens at Atlanta (ATL) according to the airport's General Manager.
Print Wikipost

US airports during a government shutdown

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
From the Atlanta newspaper's website:LInk: AJC - Hartsfield-Jackson security lines more than an hour long amid federal shutdown

Link includes a photo of the checkpoint waiting time sign showing "60+ Minutes" on it.
How's the Precheck or CLEAR lane?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by davie355
Unknown to me.

The newspaper has posted a photo gallery of the long lines: AJC.com - PHOTOS: Atlanta airport travelers stuck in long TSA wait lines

The last photo shows an Air Traffic Controller holding a "Will VECTOR for food" sign.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by davie355
On the news tonight someone indicated that it took 40 minutes to get through Pre-check at ATL today.

I'll be back in the air on Wednesday and I'll give an update on the situation at CLT.

I flew out of DFW on Sunday morning (1/13/19) and things were running smoothly there at that time.

Last edited by KenTarmac; Jan 14, 2019 at 8:15 pm
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:56 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Anyone know if travel insurance would cover missing flights due to excessively long security queues at affected airports? Guidance given is usually 2 hours prior, but airports are now just saying "ask your airline". If the airline has no better guidance and you miss your plane, who's responsible? Should pax be arriving 12 hours in advance now to clear security?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:59 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I wonder how bad this weekend will be given that Monday is Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:26 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by kyanar
I'm seeing reports that IAH has shut down security at Terminal B due to unavailability of TSA staff to operate checkpoints, directing pax to clear security at other checkpoints and walk airside to the terminal. Anyone been through that can confirm?
as of yesterday at IAH Terminal B's TSA checkpoint was still closed and had been a couple of days at least. There are signs all over the airport entry's and stores in local Houston media noting B is closed. Everyone for UA express must enter in C or E and walk or take skyway to B. I did that very thing yesterday, but I always use the terminal C Global Services entry anyway. That said, the pre-check lines at C were moving normally. As an aside Newark pre-check was fine at Term C Sunday also. YMMV...
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:08 am

Travelling from LHR TO LAX on Friday (and return in 3 weeks)

Hello,

This is my first post though I often read things in the forum. I'm currently booked on an avios reward flight from LHR to LAX this Friday 18th January. I plan to do a 3 week road trip around California.

The govt shutdown has me really worried, and I was wondering if anyone could give me their thoughts on whether I should be concerned about my trip??

Will there be delays on the way in? Are the customs people checking you when you arrive part of the shutdown?

I'm worried about the flight home which is on the 9th February - I was thinking surely the shutdown would be over by then but who knows at this rate.. The way home will take me from LAX - DFW on AA and then I have 1.5 hours to change to my BA flight to LHR. This part was booked in first class - not sure if that makes any difference, do I have to go through TSA at this point and would the 90 minutes be long enough, it's booked as one trip via BA.

Thanks for any help!

Christine

Last edited by christabella76; Jan 16, 2019 at 7:12 am Reason: Typo
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:44 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by christabella76
Will there be delays on the way in? Are the customs people checking you when you arrive part of the shutdown?

I'm worried about the flight home which is on the 9th February - I was thinking surely the shutdown would be over by then but who knows at this rate.. The way home will take me from LAX - DFW on AA and then I have 1.5 hours to change to my BA flight to LHR. This part was booked in first class - not sure if that makes any difference, do I have to go through TSA at this point and would the 90 minutes be long enough, it's booked as one trip via BA.
Welcome to FlyerTalk @christabella76!

CBP immigration and customs inspections appeared to be operating normally when I arrived at LAX on an international flight last week.

There is no need to pass through TSA security when connecting from domestic to international flights at DFW. If your BA flight to LHR departs from a different terminal than where your AA flight from LAX arrives, simply take the Skylink, which operates inside the secured area. For additional information, please refer to the DFW - Dallas Ft Worth flight connections in the Texas forum.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by christabella76
Hello,

This is my first post though I often read things in the forum. I'm currently booked on an avios reward flight from LHR to LAX this Friday 18th January. I plan to do a 3 week road trip around California.

The govt shutdown has me really worried, and I was wondering if anyone could give me their thoughts on whether I should be concerned about my trip??

Thanks for any help!

Christine
The customs and immigration officials, Air Traffic Controllers, TSA, FAA inspectors - all are working for agencies who are "shut down". However, many, or in some cases like ATC pretty much all, employees are required to continue reporting to work despite not being paid.

- Customs/immigration at LAX (assuming that is your first point of entry to the US) may take a bit longer due to staffing shortfalls but it isn't a big deal especially since you don't have a connecting flight to catch afterwards.
- You won't need to re-clear TSA or any outbound immigration/customs at DFW - 90 minutes should be fine. You'll only have to deal with TSA at LAX - no outbound immigration control. Check closer to your return flight what the recommended arrival times are at LAX. TSA so far seems to be the biggest bottleneck as they have more employees with unplanned absences right now.

We're in uncharted territory with a shutdown this long. Longer term it's possible there could begin to be more staffing issues with ATC for example, that could impact flight schedules or cause delays. But even if there were a schedule change or delay due to ATC delays, the carrier would reschedule or rebook in some manner. So I wouldn't be overly worried, personally - just my two cents. Have a good trip!
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
CLT was running smoothly this morning with no apparent problems related to the shutdown.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:47 am

@TWA884 and @84fiero - Thank you I feel a lot better now about my upcoming travel!
84fiero likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

U.S. Customs & Border Protection is NOT able to use overtime to cover sick call-outs

An update from the ATL newspaper:
Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport general manager John Selden said some passengers waited in security lines for two hours Monday, and more crowds are coming this weekend for the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday period.

“We did have quite a problem on Monday,” Selden told the Atlanta city council transportation committee at a Wednesday morning meeting. “I think some people were at two hours or a little plus two hours to get through the TSA checkpoint” Only 18 of 27 security lanes were open Monday in the Atlanta airport domestic terminal, he said.

Selden said on Monday night, the Transportation Security Administration flew 20 officers in -- who are also not being paid -- to help handle the lines at the Atlanta airport.
Also:
Selden said U.S. Customs and Border Protection is not able to use overtime to cover sick call-outs, and waits are more than an hour long for non-U.S. citizens and can be close to an hour for U.S. citizens.
Link to full article: AJC.com -Hartsfield-Jackson manager: After 2-hour security waits Monday; more crowds coming
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:04 pm

Just came through ATL this afternoon. Used Pre-Check and the wait was about 20 mins. There were 2 Pre-Check lanes. I rarely fly to ATL so I'm not sure if they have more lanes open usually.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thursday January 17, 2019 morning update from the Atlanta newspaper:
Lines were 30 to 45 minutes long at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport early Thursday morning amid the partial federal shutdown, as travel for the busy holiday weekend begins.
Link to full article: Long lines greeted travelers at Hartsfield-Jackson early Thursday morning
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
The customs and immigration officials, Air Traffic Controllers, TSA, FAA inspectors - all are working for agencies who are "shut down". However, many, or in some cases like ATC pretty much all, employees are required to continue reporting to work despite not being paid.

- Customs/immigration at LAX (assuming that is your first point of entry to the US) may take a bit longer due to staffing shortfalls but it isn't a big deal especially since you don't have a connecting flight to catch afterwards.
- You won't need to re-clear TSA or any outbound immigration/customs at DFW - 90 minutes should be fine. You'll only have to deal with TSA at LAX - no outbound immigration control. Check closer to your return flight what the recommended arrival times are at LAX. TSA so far seems to be the biggest bottleneck as they have more employees with unplanned absences right now.

We're in uncharted territory with a shutdown this long. Longer term it's possible there could begin to be more staffing issues with ATC for example, that could impact flight schedules or cause delays. But even if there were a schedule change or delay due to ATC delays, the carrier would reschedule or rebook in some manner. So I wouldn't be overly worried, personally - just my two cents. Have a good trip!
On the ATC side the controllers are coming in our support staff are not and that is starting to lead to some internal issues. Nothing that will impact the flying public at this time.
84fiero likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.