FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Active visas on expiring US Passport (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1944201-active-visas-expiring-us-passport.html)

cagcag Dec 6, 2018 1:04 am

Active visas on expiring US Passport

Hello. I wasn't sure where to post this query.
I have active 10 year visas to both China and India. They are contained in my US Passport which is due to expire in March 2019. May I continue to use these visas in the expiring passport while traveling with the newly issued passport. Thanks

WineCountryUA Dec 6, 2018 1:09 am

Originally Posted by cagcag (Post 30504314)
I have active 10 year visas to both China and India. They are contained in my US Passport which is due to expire in March 2019. May I continue to use these visas in the expiring passport while traveling with the newly issued passport. Thanks

You carry the old and new passport and pesent both.

Will move this to Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues where these issue are discussed

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

GUWonder Dec 6, 2018 6:12 am

Originally Posted by cagcag (Post 30504314)

For at least trips to India, traveling with my old passports with the still valid Indian visas works when I present the old passports and the included visa along with my currently valid passports.

Often1 Dec 6, 2018 7:03 am

The decision as to whether a current visa in a voided passport is acceptable is one made by the specific country issuing the visa. Thus, you would need to check with that country. This information is generally available on that country's embassy / consular website in your country. The general answer is that you carry both your new passport as it is your passport and the voided passport because it is simply the document which holds your visas. But, that is general information only.

cagcag Dec 6, 2018 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30504935)
The decision as to whether a current visa in a voided passport is acceptable is one made by the specific country issuing the visa. Thus, you would need to check with that country. This information is generally available on that country's embassy / consular website in your country. The general answer is that you carry both your new passport as it is your passport and the voided passport because it is simply the document which holds your visas. But, that is general information only.

Thanks to all who responded. I contacted Chinese Consulate in NYC. As I had predicted, one can travel with expired Passport containing unexpired visa along with new unexpired passport for entrance into China