Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

UK to allow US, Canada, NZ, Australia, and Japan Passport Holders to Use E-Gates

UK to allow US, Canada, NZ, Australia, and Japan Passport Holders to Use E-Gates

Old Oct 29, 18, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond

Just read this in the Japanese Asahi Shimbun that holders of passports from Japan, the US, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand will be able to use E-Gates at UK airports. This is not a "trusted traveler" program and there will be no registration required. There is no effective date in the article.

The Mirror today also published a similarly vague article, without mentioning when this would start.

For returning Britons, this may slightly delay their re-entry home. For visitors like myself, hopefully it will help shave what can sometimes be hours-long waits to clear immigration at Heathrow.
Old Oct 30, 18, 7:54 am

Just saw this in the Independent and CNN too. Cool.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8608301.html

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/artic...row/index.html
Old Oct 30, 18, 8:03 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Being discussed here

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-...countries.html
Old Oct 30, 18, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by LASNRT View Post
Just read this in the Japanese Asahi Shimbun that holders of passports from Japan, the US, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand will be able to use E-Gates at UK airports. This is not a "trusted traveler" program and there will be no registration required. There is no effective date in the article.

The Mirror today also published a similarly vague article, without mentioning when this would start.

For returning Britons, this may slightly delay their re-entry home. For visitors like myself, hopefully it will help shave what can sometimes be hours-long waits to clear immigration at Heathrow.
They seem to be aiming to do this before the summer of 2019, which isn’t that far removed from when there may be a possible hard Brexit and whatever that too means for visiting EU citizens entering the UK.

I hope that this doesn’t mean the end of my ability to use Fast Track immigration as a US passport bearer. I can already use the e-Gates at LHR; and yet to save time I often skip the automated border control gates and choose to use either Fast Track or even the standard line designated also for those with UK visas in their passports.

I am assuming they will continue to keep the egates/ABC disables for children under say 12 years of age, a dynamic which can add to making the variance in time to clear passport control very extreme.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 30, 18 at 9:02 am

Search this Thread