TSA And Baby Formula

Old Oct 22, 18, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
TSA And Baby Formula

Sorry for the noobish question, I searched the forum and found some guidance but looking for first hand experiences and rules seem to keep on changing.

New parent here and we are taking our 3 month old to Hawaii next week and looking at taking formula with us for the plane trip. Typical TSA is not clear and lets agents determine "reasonable" which drives me insane that they won't set a clear limit, but that seems to only apply to the premixed formula I am gathering? Next part of my question is powder formula. We use the Costco powder and TSA recently clamped down on powders but baby formula seems to be exempt.

TL: DR- I don't really want to check a whole tub of it, rather carry on just in case we miss a connection, delays, lost luggage, etc.- would we be ok taking a tub of powdered formula on our carryon? There seems to be a lot of ambiguity around this. Thanks
Old Oct 22, 18, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by DG206 View Post
Sorry for the noobish question, I searched the forum and found some guidance but looking for first hand experiences and rules seem to keep on changing.

New parent here and we are taking our 3 month old to Hawaii next week and looking at taking formula with us for the plane trip. Typical TSA is not clear and lets agents determine "reasonable" which drives me insane that they won't set a clear limit, but that seems to only apply to the premixed formula I am gathering? Next part of my question is powder formula. We use the Costco powder and TSA recently clamped down on powders but baby formula seems to be exempt.

TL: DR- I don't really want to check a whole tub of it, rather carry on just in case we miss a connection, delays, lost luggage, etc.- would we be ok taking a tub of powdered formula on our carryon? There seems to be a lot of ambiguity around this. Thanks
And the answer is: Who knows? Who knows what the screener you encounter will determine is allowed and is not allowed - it's according to his/her discretion. I read just this morning that TSA took away ice packs being used to keep formula cool on a long haul flight.
Old Oct 22, 18, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Even for the powder? TSA page does not even reference powder or liquid, just ‘formula’ and don’t even reference the powder limits

Hawaii has Costco so not end of world if we need to just buy more, but next month we are are doing Europe for few weeks so more of a concern there
Old Oct 22, 18, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA
Can you put the formula in more than one container? Two smaller quantities might attract less attention in separate bags.
Old Oct 22, 18, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's a good chance you won't have a problem with TSA but it's not 100%. Take the formula mix and have a good trip.
DG206 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 18, 6:54 am

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
How big of a tub are you talking about?

In Europe, they have better powdered formula (no added sugar, better farming practices, etc) anyway, so no worries there, other than it probably costing more.
Old Nov 1, 18, 11:57 pm

TSA screening for family and a child?

they allow but they check with sticks or something!

Search this Thread