Search

LCD computer monitor

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Location: Inland Empire, semi-regularly going between LAX/ONT/SNA and IND/STL
Programs: Rapid Rewards, SkyMiles, AAdvantage
LCD computer monitor

I have an LCD compute monitor I'll be traveling with. I plan to pack it in the original box, which has styrofoam packaging in it, and in addition place it in my large suitcase with clothes around it for extra padding/protection.

If TSA gets curious and decides to open it up, will they tape it back shut for me or will I be out of luck on that?
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Nope. Just like a carry-on which TSA searches, you will be left at a table with the item to repack and retape. However, no reason to presume that TSA will want to open the box.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Location: Inland Empire, semi-regularly going between LAX/ONT/SNA and IND/STL
Programs: Rapid Rewards, SkyMiles, AAdvantage
Thanks! It's actually too big to fit in my carry-on, so I'm planning on putting it in my checked suitcase--does that change anything?
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: Delta, United
If you check it and it breaks you have no recourse. You are better shipping it with insurance.
Spiff and Loren Pechtel like this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

When TSA opens my boxes, if they are taped boxes, then they most commonly seem to tape them back up. Not always the best job with re-taping the boxes, but not always the worst job either. But if the taped box is inside a suitcase or say duffel bag, then the chances of them re-taping the box drops off big time in my experience.

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
If you check it and it breaks you have no recourse. You are better shipping it with insurance.
Damage to the monitor is legally covered by the airlines when it breaks as part of checked luggage on a trip covered by either the relevant Warsaw or Montreal Conventions.

The airlines COC clauses for checked baggage liability does not supersede not invalidate binding international legal agreements applicable to flights covered by such international legal agreements. And so I frequently check in replaceable electronics on my domestic US flights and on my international flights, as they are covered by the airline despite the clauses in the airline COCs.

Is the OP’s trip covered by either the Warsaw or Montreal conventions applicable to checked baggage liability for the airline? In some cases, at least for someone like me, it may be covered even if the ticketed flight (with electronics in checked luggage) is on a ticketed PNR with only domestic flights on it.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 19, 2018 at 1:52 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.