Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

access being denied of a us citizen into the usa

Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

cleveland hopkins airport- customs is detaining an individual who is a us citizen and will not let him enter the us- how long can they detain a person -
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Welcome to FT.

Immigration can deny entry to a person until they are sure they are a US Citizen and are not committing a crime whilst entering the USA.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:02 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by lmh111066
cleveland hopkins airport- customs is detaining an individual who is a us citizen and will not let him enter the us- how long can they detain a person -
DHS has detained some US citizens for over a year without trial by denying the citizenship and/or identity recognition of the individual.

They could be detaining the individual for extradition/handoff or just for further questioning as part of a governmental fishing expedition gone wild.

What’s the perceived ethnicity of the assumed US citizen individual detained? And what are the detention conditions like for the person?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

he is caucasian; I do not know. I would like to know. Where would they house them if they are detaining them?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:08 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Without more information it's very difficult to answer

As others have mentioned the grounds for detention would be if if CBP believed he/she was not actually a US citizen. And the airport makes some difference in germs of where they would be housed if detained.

Is the detainee not allowed phone calls to get documentation?

he is caucasian; I do not know. I would like to know. Where would they house them if they are detaining them?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

he was texting me up until 2 days ago- texts stopped on Monday evening.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:39 pm

Is this something you can ask your/his representative/congressperson/senator about? (Sorry not sure of the chain of command.)
Old Oct 4, 2018, 5:36 am
Suspended

Maybe he was sent packing to the country from which he came or in which he may have been wanted. That assumes he’s no longer in the country or isn’t waiting to be sent out of the US, but that assumption is not necessarily applicable. It’s not unheard of for cell phones and other electronic devices to be denied to detainees, and that can make communicating out difficult or limited to higher priority parties — for example, a lawyer to file a writ — unless and until he is free somewhere.

On what basis are you certain he was actually at CLE on the day in question and in the federal inspection area as an international arrival passenger?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
If he's a US citizen, I think there's zero chance Immigration is holding him. Maybe he was smuggling something and got arrested, or maybe he's really not a US citizen.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
you need to give much more information here instead of 1-2 line posts offering drips and drabs.

Is he a naturalized citizen or native born citizen? How do you know?
What's his ethnicity?
Does he hold citizenship from another country?
Does he live in another country?
Is he a criminal?
Where was he flying in from?
Did he have a valid US passport in his possession?
Why do you think CBP is holding him? People aren't allowed to send texts from CBP secondary inspection.
Has he been detained by CBP before?

CBP doesn't normally detain Americans for two days unless they are arresting them.

But you posted the original post on Saturday.

Last edited by TWA884; Oct 5, 2018 at 9:56 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function
Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by catocony
If he's a US citizen, I think there's zero chance Immigration is holding him. Maybe he was smuggling something and got arrested, or maybe he's really not a US citizen.
Or maybe the person just never was where he said he was or was going to be under the conditions he said?

Even if the person isn't arrested for a crime, there is a very low chance of the US detaining a US citizen as if the US citizen is a removable alien. There is some history of the US deporting/removing US citizens from the territorial US as if the US citizens weren't US citizens.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 5, 2018 at 11:32 am
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Or maybe the person just never where was he said he was or was going to be under the conditions he said?
There is some history of the US deporting/removing US citizens from the territorial US as if the US citizens weren't US citizens.
Yes, but those are usually Mexican-Americans caught near the border who are unable to articulate their claim to citizenship or who can't satisfy Border Patrol that they are citizens.

I wonder if the OP is being scammed in some kind of romance scam.

"Honey I want to meet you but I've been detained at the airport, please send money via Western Union."

A lot of romance scammers use photos of U.S. servicemen and pretend to be deployed U.S. servicemen as a way to explain why they are unable to meet/video chat, etc.

Last edited by jphripjah; Oct 5, 2018 at 9:04 am
Old Oct 5, 2018, 11:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jphripjah
Yes, but those are usually Mexican-Americans caught near the border who are unable to articulate their claim to citizenship or who can't satisfy Border Patrol that they are citizens.

I wonder if the OP is being scammed in some kind of romance scam.

"Honey I want to meet you but I've been detained at the airport, please send money via Western Union."

A lot of romance scammers use photos of U.S. servicemen and pretend to be deployed U.S. servicemen as a way to explain why they are unable to meet/video chat, etc.
It’s not limited to or usually just Mexican-Americans who have been the US citizens detained and even deported/removed from the US as if aliens to the US.

Also, not all US servicemen are US citizens, with some not even being LPRs. Just mentioned in case the OP believed the person was a US citizen because of perceived affiliation with the uniformed US military services.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I know of someone who always claimed he is a US Citizen and to this day he still tells everyone he is, but I know he is not. He only recently got LPR. If you look or listen to him, you would assume all American. I don't know why he lies about this aspect only. Perhaps shame or embarrassment, or perhaps he told this lie to someone close and now he has to perpetrate this lie...

Are you sure this person being detained is a US Citizen?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 3:14 am
Suspended

Any update on how this worked out?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.