Sydney airport security

Old Aug 27, 18, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP 75K; UA Plat MM; Hyatt Globalist; Starwood, Marriott, Hilton Gold.
Sydney airport security

I want to be fully prepared for security at SYD. We will be departing Terminal 3 (QF domestic) as well as Terminal 1 (Intl).

For each of these, do we have to remove shoes? Are there walk through metal detectors or millimeter wave detectors?

Do I have to remove an iPad for a domestic flight? International flight?

Thank you!
Old Aug 27, 18, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K View Post
I want to be fully prepared for security at SYD. We will be departing Terminal 3 (QF domestic) as well as Terminal 1 (Intl).

For each of these, do we have to remove shoes? Are there walk through metal detectors or millimeter wave detectors?

Do I have to remove an iPad for a domestic flight? International flight?
Airport security in Australia is less invasive than in USA. And far quicker.
SYD airport has walk through detectors.
Shoes do not need to be removed. If they beep then will be inspected.
Laptops & ipads removed from your carry-on bag, put in a tray and sent through the Xray machine.

Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport
Old Aug 27, 18, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP 75K; UA Plat MM; Hyatt Globalist; Starwood, Marriott, Hilton Gold.
Thank you, Mwenenzi.
Old Aug 27, 18, 5:21 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Water restrictions as well. And in my one time through the screeners just as crappy as the TSA.
Old Aug 30, 18, 9:48 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar View Post
Water restrictions as well. And in my one time through the screeners just as crappy as the TSA.
Be fair. They have that typical mindless Australian mullet-bro aggressive attitude, as opposed to the passive-aggressive faux polite routine that TSA favours. It gives an entirely different flavour to the experience when they start out hostile and condescending and just get more so.
Old Aug 31, 18, 1:22 am

They also have a fast lane at SYD. You will get a paper voucher at the Check-In. I had once a flight where I checked in online and proceeded straight to security without this voucher---> got declined from the queue manager.
Old Aug 31, 18, 2:07 am

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Domestic is particularly painless, no liquid restrictions. In all (or at least all of the ones I've been through) Australian airport security checkpoints they perform an explosives test just after the main security and seem as soon as they finish swabbing one person than immediately select the next with no particularly order, totally random and involves swabbing your body, shoes and inside your bag.

Search this Thread