Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Secondary inspection due to lost passport with US visa

Old Jul 2, 18, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

I lost my passport which had a valid US visa 7 years ago. I reported it right away and was issued a new visa by the US embassy. A few months later I found the passport with visa and turned it in to the embassy. They put a cancelled stamp on the visa and gave me back the old passport.

However, almost every time I go fly to the US now I am taken to secondary inspection since the lost visa keeps popping up in the system. Most of the officers are very nice and explain to me that the system is not allowing them to process me and that's the reason for secondary

Anyone knows who I can contact to get this fixed? Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 5, 18, 11:07 am

Programs: CBP
https://www.dhs.gov/dhs-trip
Old Jul 5, 18, 2:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The DHS TRIP process may help. Also, having contact made with a US Senator or Repís constituent services staff (about the problems when trying to travel to and/or to enter the US) may sometimes help. Even helps for some foreign nationals.
Old Jul 5, 18, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
They'll barely help out for their own citizen constituents, and even less so for green card holders. For anyone living outside their district, they'll tell you who your Rep or Senator is and to contact them. For foreigners, they'll tell you to contact the consulate back home.
Old Jul 6, 18, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by catocony View Post
They'll barely help out for their own citizen constituents, and even less so for green card holders. For anyone living outside their district, they'll tell you who your Rep or Senator is and to contact them. For foreigners, they'll tell you to contact the consulate back home.
My experience with that says it varies quite a lot. I’ve seen DHS TRIP go nowhere for so long but a few of the right contacts on the Hill or local constituent service offices make all the difference in the world to expedite a change of outcome. I’ve also seen both approaches appear to flop too. But I suggest going all ways to try to get the situation addressed. That said, once a person is flagged for international travel doc theft/loss, the odds of a recurring problem for the duration of one or more related international travel docs for the person rises substantially even when DHS TRIP and/or federal legislators’ constituent services work.
Old Jul 6, 18, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

I don't live in the US so I don't have a clue which senator to contact.
Old Jul 6, 18, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
GU, I don't want to argue with you, but as a long-time Hill staffer, I can assure you no staffer in any Congressional office is going to spend time helping a foreigner who doesn't live in their district on something like this. If it's an employee at a foreign company that has a presence in the district, like a car factory or something, then sure, they'll help as much as possible, assuming the person is traveling frequently to the US facility. If tis'a family member of a resident of their district, they might help a bit, although it would most likely be a letter with the address the consulate in the OPs home country. Otherwise, they don't have the time, desire or really ability to help in a matter like this. The OP isn't a US resident, much less an actual constituent.

Last edited by catocony; Jul 6, 18 at 11:56 pm
Old Jul 7, 18, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by dean_jones View Post
I don't live in the US so I don't have a clue which senator to contact.
Then you are probably out of luck that way, unless you are in a kind of situation as indicated by catocony.

You should try to also see if your passport-issuing country/authorities are willing to correct any data from filings to Interpol about lost/stolen passports since your passport was just temporarily misplaced rather than permanently lost/stolen. But youíre probably out of luck that way too.

Eventually the secondaries will probably drop off in frequency, more so after the filed passport expiration date ends up being older and older history.
Old Jul 7, 18, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

I will try the US embassy in my country.
Old Jul 7, 18, 6:10 pm

Programs: United Gold, BA Exec Club, Via Rail
It might make sense to enrolling in one of the CBP' trusted traveller programs (i.e. GlobalEntry, Nexus and Sentri) since trusted travellers generally get less grief when entering the US (usually asked why you're entering the US when you hand in your slip in and that's it). In addition the interview with CBP may also help you clear out those flags from your passport.

Safe Travels,

James
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 7, 18, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Depending on your country of citizenship (or more precisely, the country issuing your passport), there may be reasons beyond the lost visa. The more details, the better help you will get here. What country issued your passport.
Old Jul 9, 18, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

The issuing country is Costa Rica. I never had a problem before until this lost passport.

A few months ago, the agent in secondary was nice enough to send a letter and a copy of my lost passport to the embassy here. She said that should do it. But obviously didn't help.
Old Jul 10, 18, 6:24 am

I got help from my senators/congresspersons when I was a US permanent resident when dealing with CIS. You're a potential future voter, and the interns who actually do the work can be fairly decent.
Old Jul 10, 18, 1:00 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by cafeconleche View Post
I got help from my senators/congresspersons when I was a US permanent resident when dealing with CIS. You're a potential future voter, and the interns who actually do the work can be fairly decent.
The OP doesn't live in the US so not a potential future voter, nor do they *have* a senator/congressperson.
Old Jul 11, 18, 2:43 am

Ah yes, true. So, that's a general comment, then

Search this Thread