Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Flying with a baby before a birth certificate has been issued

Old Jun 29, 18, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone. Firstly, hoping that I've picked the right board for this topic!

I'm slightly concerned regarding my partner's upcoming travel arrangements. Quick background - she's a maternity nurse, currently living and working with a Saudi family who recently traveled to Canada ahead of the birth of their son. He has now been born and the plan was to fly back to the UK tomorrow, she'd stay with them for a week or so then they would fly back to Saudi and she'd come home. That changed last week when they asked her to travel with them to Saudi a few days early to help the mum settle in. That's now changed again - they're claiming that as he doesn't yet have a birth certificate he can't fly to the UK so they'll have to go straight to Jeddah - with my partner. She agreed to this and didn't question any of it.

So, my question is: does the birth certificate issue make sense, in that they can fly to Saudi (they are Saudi nationals so I guess the baby will be too) but not the UK? I doubt it makes much of a difference but they're booked with BA, presumably with a layover in London.

Apologies for the essay and thanks in advance for any help!
Old Jun 29, 18, 2:54 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
They wouldn't be able to enter the UK with a baby that doesn't have a birth certificate since they can't get the baby a passport without a birth certificate - and a passport is required to enter any country other than one you hold citizenship with (who cannot legally refuse you entry).
Old Jun 29, 18, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks kyanar. Presumably Saudi would accept him then, and I guess there wouldn't be the issue of proving he's under 2 as he's barely 3 weeks old. Thanks for your response, that's made me feel a bit more comfortable with it all.

Search this Thread