Wiki Posts
Search

Liquids in Clear Bag Requirement Gone?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Liquids in Clear Bag Requirement Gone?

Has this requirement de facto gone away? I haven’t removed my liquids in ages and never had my bag pulled for not removing them.

I ask because my 311 clear waterproof bag has reached the end of its life and I need to replace it. Looking at non clear options but don’t want to run into any issues.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Whether it has de factor gone away or not, it's best to obey the rules as closely as possible, whether you believe they're properly enforced or not. All it takes is one TSO having a bad day, working to rule, to ruin your flight, your day, your trip, over something as insignificant as whether your 3-1-1 bag is 1-qt, clear, and resealable. The TSA web site doesn't use the word "clear" in it's description of the requisite 3-1-1 bag, but their YouTube video DOES specify that the 3-1-1 bag should be clear, so IMHO it's best to err on the side of caution and stick with a clear bag.

Keeping that in mind, I suggest Dollar Tree. Eight bags for a buck. Your sig says your location is DFW, Dollar Tree's web site shows numerous locations around Dallas.
https://www.dollartree.com/Hefty-One...3415/index.pro

Of course, the sliders are not as waterproof as the freezer bags, but it seems that Dollar Tree only carries the sliders. If you want the freezer bags, you can go to Walmart and get a box of the Ziploc brand. 24 bags for three bucks. Lots more than you need for this application, but zipper close quart bags are useful items for storage and organization, so having plenty of them around isn't so bad.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ziploc-Do...24-Ct/14122371

Going with the cheap, disposable bags, as opposed to something more expensive, is my preferred option. The disposables are easy to find, cheap to replace, and small enough to carry several spares tucked into my carry-on for uses other than 3-1-1 bags.
MichaelKade likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
IME, with pre-check, this requirement is basically gone in the USA. In the last year I've gone through dozens of airports with my toiletries in a non-compliant bag and never have I had my bag selected for additional screening because of it. This includes getting stopped for other reasons (usually shoe trees), where nobody has mentioned that I didn't take liquids out of my bag or anything else.

Regardless, these days, I usually put all of my liquids in a compliant ziploc bag inside of my Dopp kit, just to make sure. This is extra handy when outside of the USA, where this requirement is much more uniformly applied.
Often1 and MichaelKade like this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by manacit
IME, with pre-check, this requirement is basically gone in the USA. In the last year I've gone through dozens of airports with my toiletries in a non-compliant bag and never have I had my bag selected for additional screening because of it. This includes getting stopped for other reasons (usually shoe trees), where nobody has mentioned that I didn't take liquids out of my bag or anything else.

Regardless, these days, I usually put all of my liquids in a compliant ziploc bag inside of my Dopp kit, just to make sure. This is extra handy when outside of the USA, where this requirement is much more uniformly applied.
Same here. But, given that a zip lock 1 qt. bag comes in a box of 30-40 for $2-3 at a typical grocery store, it seems a bit foolish to mess around with this.
MichaelKade likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: SWA - A-list, AA Gold, Hilton Gold
Not sure if the terminals (specifically A & C) at DFW still have them, but they used to stock a bunch of clear 311 bags outside of security by the check-in desks. These were great, as they were taller than standard ziplocs. I grabbed a hundred of them many years ago and am still using them. If you're near DFW, I'd take advantage of the free curbside 60-minute parking.
MichaelKade likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Everywhere I just use my toiletries bag which is definitely more than the "3-1-1" size. Only time was in Japan, they forced me to empty everything into their Liter sized plastic bag.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's all about risk management. If a new 3-1-1 bag cost $1,000 and the requirement was rarely enforced, I would ignore the requirement and worry about a solution if the need arose.

But given that these bags come in bulk for less than a penny each, I take the opposite view.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I've found enforcement of this lax as well. I've forgotten to take out my 311 on several occasions lately and it wasn't mentioned. Nonetheless, I would not take this as a signal to stop using one.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
I usually bring a large and wide variety of 1oz adult beverages with me on my flights (for delays, of course) in a kippie-bag in addition to my toiletry bag and frequently have other small bottles liberally spread around my bags. Only once in the last 5 years have I had a security screener stop/ask me about it (on return from MEX) - and that was only because he thought it was not allowed to bring alcohol on the flight. But the rule is still in place and screener discretion is still allowed.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
It's such a simple thing to do so why not do it. Ziploc quart size bag is not a big deal, unless I didn't have it and was stopped and had to go through a search of all my stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.