Wiki Posts
Search

Agricultural Inspection at JFK

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Agricultural Inspection at JFK

Hello,

Not sure if in the right forum, but here goes...

My wife and I flew into JFK last night from Curacao. After passing through customs (very quick) and waiting for our luggage (not so quick) we were then ushered (along with everyone else on our flight) to an agricultural inspection area, where all of our bags (along with the rest of the passengers on our flight) were passed through an x-ray machine for an agricultural inspection. This line was long and slow and added nearly 30 minutes to the process of exiting the airport.

Having flown into JFK from other international destinations (as well as into EWR) and never having seen this before I was wondering if this is a new procedure or some random process where select flights are made to pass through this screen (or maybe it had to do with where we were returning from).

Anyone have insights to share?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:10 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moving to the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum, which covers customs topics. Thanks! /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:38 am

Hi, it could have been an enforcement blitz, I've seen it done before.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It was either random or it was not.

Could be based on recent experiences where there are a lot of violations or it might be totally random and your flight was selected.

It's useful for all those people who will knowingly tell you that there is "never" a generalized ag inspection. Except when there is.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mgiannetto
Hello,

Not sure if in the right forum, but here goes...

My wife and I flew into JFK last night from Curacao. After passing through customs (very quick) and waiting for our luggage (not so quick) we were then ushered (along with everyone else on our flight) to an agricultural inspection area, where all of our bags (along with the rest of the passengers on our flight) were passed through an x-ray machine for an agricultural inspection. This line was long and slow and added nearly 30 minutes to the process of exiting the airport.

Having flown into JFK from other international destinations (as well as into EWR) and never having seen this before I was wondering if this is a new procedure or some random process where select flights are made to pass through this screen (or maybe it had to do with where we were returning from).

Anyone have insights to share?
I've encountered it on PVG to SFO? I heard two officials discussing whether our flight was 100% inspect.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:09 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Talking

Happens often on my flights from Italia (FCO/MXP) to EWR (and, given how often Italians smuggle illegal food into the US, they should LOL )

Also, had 100% on PTY-IAH flights. As others have noted, there is a sometimes a random aspect to it and others the flight is targeted. It is not 'rare' per se but given the number of inbounds to the USA daily the odds of being on one are relatively slim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.