FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Culinary Torch "Head" on Carry-on (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1910411-culinary-torch-head-carry.html)

caGALINDO May 21, 2018 7:29 am

Culinary Torch "Head" on Carry-on

Hi guys please help, does anyone know if I can carry-on the top portion of a culinary torch? (detached gas canister)

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...0a0e42c707.png

Section 107 May 21, 2018 2:53 pm

you might be able to carry it - but maybe not.. It is allowed in checked baggage so why not check it or, if no checked baggage, why not buy one when you get there or mail it to yourself at your destination?

WillCAD May 23, 2018 8:43 am

If you're talking about travel in the US and whether TSA will disallow that item, I agree with Section 107 - pack it in your checked bag, or if you're not traveling with a checked bag, buy one at your destination. Another option, if you must have a specific torch head that is unavailable at your destination, would be shipping it in advance.

The problem is this: It's shaped like a gun. It even has a trigger. The actual prohibition is against realistic replicas of weapons, and you and I can certainly recognize that your item is not a gun, and not a danger to either an aircraft or its occupants, but TSA has a track record of over-reacting when it comes to anything vaguely resembling a weapon. In four incidents I can recall discussing here on FT, TSA has disallowed women's shoes with six-shooter heels; a young woman's clutch purse with only the image of a gun on it; a bottle of perfume that vaguely (very vaguely) resembled a WWII era pineapple-shaped hand grenade; and they attempted to confiscate the lightsaber-shaped cane of actor Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca from the Star Wars triology). Yup - they actually tried to confiscate a man's cane because it was a replica of a fictional weapon that does not actually exist.

Add to that the fact that your torch actually could be made into a weapon if connected to a gas cylinder (even though such cylinders are not available inside the sterile area of an airport), and I would guess that you have a 50/50 chance of having your item disallowed.

I recommend that you play it safe and make other arrangements to get your tool to your destination.

Often1 May 23, 2018 9:55 am

I strongly suspect that TSA will not have any problem with the item. But, it will almost certainly cause a minor panic if you leave it in your checked bag and do not take it out voluntarily. Raise it to the Officer at the ID checker podium and do not describe it as something that looks like a firearm. Once you say that, that is what it will look like.

It goes without saying that if you are checking a bag, you ought to toss it in the bag (although I would leave it on top in the event that your bag is opened) and that you do have to make a choice if in carry-on, whether you would refuse to fly or toss the item.

Section 107 May 23, 2018 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 29785909)
I strongly suspect that TSA will not have any problem with the item. But, it will almost certainly cause a minor panic if you leave it in your checked bag and do not take it out voluntarily. Raise it to the Officer at the ID checker podium and do not describe it as something that looks like a firearm. Once you say that, that is what it will look like.

It goes without saying that if you are checking a bag, you ought to toss it in the bag (although I would leave it on top in the event that your bag is opened) and that you do have to make a choice if in carry-on, whether you would refuse to fly or toss the item.

did you mean "...if you leave it in your carry-on bag and do not take it out...."?