Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Long lines at PHL as everyone is given PreCheck [TSA using passenger screening dogs]

Long lines at PHL as everyone is given PreCheck [TSA using passenger screening dogs]

Old Apr 27, 18, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles

... temporarily... during busy periods.

Just a warning on timing for anyone departing PHL during the busy morning periods... based upon my experiences during two recent early morning departures.

The normal PreChek line goes away. All pax enter security thru the same doorway, where you join the same queue. Everyone gets the "keep your shoe on, liquids and computers stay in the bag" treatment.

PreChek holders do avoid that part of the queue outside of the door to security, so you don't have to go to the back of the line that sometimes extends 50 yards down the terminal. And, once you file past the sniffer dog (which is the apparent reason for the single access point), allegedly the PreChek folks are to be expedited to the PreChek desk. However, the highly trained contract personnel administering the system (remember, this is PHL) were not making that segregation on my last trip through, so PreChek pax were part of the throng that meandered through the entire length of the maze.

When I asked the TSA supervisor (officious little twit who tried to use command presence to control the conversation), his assertion was that screening by the sniffer dog was equivalent to whatever background check is conducted before approving someone for PreChek.

Bottom line, don't anticipate a short 10 to 20 person queue for the PreChek line if you are departing out of PHL in the early mornings. Also, expect a higher percentage of newbies who are not familiar with the PreChek procedures. I have to go thru the millimeter wave machine due to a hip implant. I waited a full five minutes while TSA fiddled with the person ahead of me.
Old Apr 27, 18, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter View Post
... temporarily... during busy periods.

Just a warning on timing for anyone departing PHL during the busy morning periods... based upon my experiences during two recent early morning departures.

The normal PreChek line goes away. All pax enter security thru the same doorway, where you join the same queue. Everyone gets the "keep your shoe on, liquids and computers stay in the bag" treatment.

PreChek holders do avoid that part of the queue outside of the door to security, so you don't have to go to the back of the line that sometimes extends 50 yards down the terminal. And, once you file past the sniffer dog (which is the apparent reason for the single access point), allegedly the PreChek folks are to be expedited to the PreChek desk. However, the highly trained contract personnel administering the system (remember, this is PHL) were not making that segregation on my last trip through, so PreChek pax were part of the throng that meandered through the entire length of the maze.

When I asked the TSA supervisor (officious little twit who tried to use command presence to control the conversation), his assertion was that screening by the sniffer dog was equivalent to whatever background check is conducted before approving someone for PreChek.

Bottom line, don't anticipate a short 10 to 20 person queue for the PreChek line if you are departing out of PHL in the early mornings. Also, expect a higher percentage of newbies who are not familiar with the PreChek procedures. I have to go thru the millimeter wave machine due to a hip implant. I waited a full five minutes while TSA fiddled with the person ahead of me.
IIRC that PHL is fully connected airside, you are not required to go through the terminal D/E checkpoint to access Delta flights, thus this could potentially be avoided by entering via terminal C or F checkpoints.
Old Apr 27, 18, 10:22 am

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
IIRC that PHL is fully connected airside, you are not required to go through the terminal D/E checkpoint to access Delta flights, thus this could potentially be avoided by entering via terminal C or F checkpoints.
Definently don’t use F as you’ll have to take a bus to C and walk over to D. Any other terminal will work though.
Old Apr 27, 18, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, MM; Marriott Plat
I have had that happen twice to me, once at a smaller airport (BVT I think) and once at a larger airport where you had to wait for the dog check before hitting the Clear kiosk. Both times I would have been better off with real pre-check.
Old Apr 27, 18, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
This has happened to me a few times at MSP at the North checkpoint (A-E concourses). If you have CLEAR, it is faster to walk from the other checkpoint to the C gates than to wait in the everyone-gets-PreCheck mess.
Old Apr 27, 18, 1:40 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Moderator's Note

Folks,

Please keep in mind that the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum is informational.

Per the forum's sticky post, this is the place for members to ask questions and get information to help them travel safely and with minimal hassle.

Please save your commentary, opinion, rants and diatribes for the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum, where we have a long running thread on this topic:
TSA Using Passenger Screening Dogs
Posts have been deleted.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Apr 27, 18, 3:42 pm

Programs: EZ Pass, Starbucks Gold, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer View Post
Definently don’t use F as you’ll have to take a bus to C and walk over to D. Any other terminal will work though.
It's a ~bit~ of a hike, but I don't know that's the reason to avoid F. (unless you are thinking that F isn't connected to the rest of the terminals airside. it is.)
A better reason might be that F doesn't have a dedicated pre-check line, so you have to wait in the same line as everyone else.
Old Apr 27, 18, 3:47 pm

I went through PHL terminal D this morning and security was out of control. It seemed that they used the same TSA agents to check everyone’s ID and then split into the normal or Precheck lines. I ended up walking to C where there was literally no one in line.
pa3lsvt likes this.
Old May 17, 18, 7:26 am

I typically fly AA out of PHL, and almost always go in via the BC check in.

the old C checkpoint is now 100% TSA PreCheck. The B checkpoint doesn't have PreCheck.

to get to the PreCheck area, you've got to pass a number of uniformed "greeters" who are annoyingly milkitant about wanting to see the PreCheck marking on your boarding pass.

Search this Thread