Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Dual US and Mexican citizen travel with Mexican a passport

Old Apr 20, 2018, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Can I leave from lax and return to lax (international travel) using only my Mexican passport?

I am was born in the US and live and work here but also have Mexican citizenship. I can no longer obtain a US passport.

Last edited by Pablo Zatarain; Apr 20, 2018 at 2:48 pm Reason: Clarify
Old Apr 20, 2018, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You can depart the US on any passport which the receiving country recognizes. The US simply requires a passport, but there is no outbound passport control. Your air carrier is looking for a document which will get you admitted at the destination. Thus, presuming you are headed to a country which recognizes Mexico and does not also require a visa of Mexican nationals, you are all set.

On return, it is a bit dicier. While US law requires that USN's travel to the US on a US passport, that provision is not enforced. Additionally, as a USN, you cannot be denied entry to the US. However, this does not mean that it will be a pleasant experience at CBP and your air carrier will be looking for the documents which support a US entry for a Mexican national, e.g., a visa. Thus, you may be denied boarding.

However, this gives rise to the question of why you can "no longer" obtain a US passport. Without knowing the reason for that statement by you, it is hard to really drill down. Can you provide some information?
Old Apr 20, 2018, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
You can depart the US on any passport which the receiving country recognizes. The US simply requires a passport, but there is no outbound passport control. Your air carrier is looking for a document which will get you admitted at the destination. Thus, presuming you are headed to a country which recognizes Mexico and does not also require a visa of Mexican nationals, you are all set.

On return, it is a bit dicier. While US law requires that USN's travel to the US on a US passport, that provision is not enforced. Additionally, as a USN, you cannot be denied entry to the US. However, this does not mean that it will be a pleasant experience at CBP and your air carrier will be looking for the documents which support a US entry for a Mexican national, e.g., a visa. Thus, you may be denied boarding.

However, this gives rise to the question of why you can "no longer" obtain a US passport. Without knowing the reason for that statement by you, it is hard to really drill down. Can you provide some information?
​​​​​​
I owe child support arrears it will take some time to pay them off. They put a hold on your passport mine has expired and cannot be renewed.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:01 pm

You'd most likely be denied boarding on the way back. One possibility might be to fly to TIJ, cross over the CBX, then make your way to SAN for a domestic flight. Not sure if they check for a visa before allowing you to cross the CBX, but if you make it to CBP you'd eventually be granted entry.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:36 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
There are several threads in this forum discussing various aspects of your questions;
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:43 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Pablo Zatarain
Can I leave from lax and return to lax (international travel) using only my Mexican passport?

I am was born in the US and live and work here but also have Mexican citizenship. I can no longer obtain a US passport.
Flying to Mexico (or other country where Mexicans don’t require a visa) on a Mexican passport isn’t a problem unless you get stopped by US law enforcement for other reasons while attempting to fly out, but that kind of problem flying out is not generally applicable unless subject to arrest.

Getting back to the US with just a Mexican passport? This won’t generally work if trying to fly by commercial airlines. For flying back to the US, you would need something from the US Department of State, thus needing to visit a US consulate/embassy. Getting back to the US via land crossings should work, but then there is the issue of proof of US identity and citizenship; and that is where the variability in results is greatest/worst.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
A land crossing shouldn't be a problem. I would just show my driver's license and say I didn't bring my US passport, which is somewhat true. I wouldn't mention the Mexican passport at all, as it won't help you re-enter the US.

I also agree that there's little chance of getting on a flight back to the US with a Mexican passport without a visa.

What country are you traveling to? If it's Mexico, the do as suggested and fly to one of the border towns, walk across, then travel on the US side. Tijuana is the largest Mexican border airport, and would have the easiest travel to the US side (cross at San Ysidro and take the trolley to San Diego). However, Juarez to El Paso is a snap. Nuevo Laredo is a small airport but Laredo, TX airport isn't too far away. Matamoros (Brownsville or Harlingen) has a small airport. Others would be ok for a land crossing, like Mexicali and Reynosa, but you're probably looking at a bus or a rental car to get anywhere once across.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by catocony
A land crossing shouldn't be a problem. I would just show my driver's license and say I didn't bring my US passport, which is somewhat true. I wouldn't mention the Mexican passport at all, as it won't help you re-enter the US.

I also agree that there's little chance of getting on a flight back to the US with a Mexican passport without a visa.

What country are you traveling to? If it's Mexico, the do as suggested and fly to one of the border towns, walk across, then travel on the US side. Tijuana is the largest Mexican border airport, and would have the easiest travel to the US side (cross at San Ysidro and take the trolley to San Diego). However, Juarez to El Paso is a snap. Nuevo Laredo is a small airport but Laredo, TX airport isn't too far away. Matamoros (Brownsville or Harlingen) has a small airport. Others would be ok for a land crossing, like Mexicali and Reynosa, but you're probably looking at a bus or a rental car to get anywhere once across.

The Philippines is my destination country
Old Apr 21, 2018, 5:19 pm

Your best option then is to fly from the PI to Mexico, then fly to Tijuana and walk across. You will not get on a plane with a US destination with just a Mexican passport, regardless if you have a US birth certificate or other proof of citizenship on you.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by catocony
Your best option then is to fly from the PI to Mexico, then fly to Tijuana and walk across. You will not get on a plane with a US destination with just a Mexican passport, regardless if you have a US birth certificate or other proof of citizenship on you.
​​​​​​
I am in America I live here. I want to travel to the Philippines and return. Sorry if wasn't clear
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:37 pm

It doesn't matter that you live in the US. If you fly to the PI, you can easily do so on your Mexican passport. What you can't do is fly back to the US on your Mexican passport. You have three choices. One, don't go. Two, get your legal issues cleared up and get a US passport. Three, use your Mexican passport to get back to Mexico, then do a land crossing using non-passport ID, then drive/fly/whatever from wherever you cross to wherever you live.
König likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If OP attempts to enter the US across a land border as a Mexican national, he will still be on a watch list for the child support issue. At the border crossing, he will be pulled into secondary and eventually admitted simply because he can't be denied entry as a citizen. But, it will be a lengthy and unpleasant process.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:54 pm

He won't be crossing the border as a Mexican national but as a US citizen without a passport on him. The secondary is implied since they'll have to do the database lookup and verification process to determine if he is a US citizen. The legal issues will add to the bad experience, but with the options available, it's the best one by far.

OP, keep in mind that the best case scenario for you on a trip like this is a massive hassle getting back into the US. You will have zero sympathy from CBP on this. In fact, they will make it as hard as possible for you, with the idea that if you can afford a trip to the PI, presumably a hooker run, then you can afford to pay off some of your child support. Since you were presumably on a hooker run to the PI, anticipate having your cell phone/tablet/laptop inspected and possibly seized for forensic inspection since some of the hookers might be underage. I would not rule out a body cavity search for drugs either.

They will make your life very difficult as you are circumventing the lack of a US passport due to legal issues. In their eyes, you're a deadbeat dad who won't take care of his kids. Expect to be treated as such, even if it's not the real situation.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 11:08 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Often1
If OP attempts to enter the US across a land border as a Mexican national, he will still be on a watch list for the child support issue. At the border crossing, he will be pulled into secondary and eventually admitted simply because he can't be denied entry as a citizen. But, it will be a lengthy and unpleasant process.
The OP is returning as a US citizen, and generally there is nothing lengthy and unpleasant about the process as long as the OP’s identity and citizenship claims can be readily verified.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:47 am

Programs: Air NZ *E
Originally Posted by GUWonder

The OP is returning as a US citizen, and generally there is nothing lengthy and unpleasant about the process as long as the OP’s identity and citizenship claims can be readily verified.
Yes, his citizenship verified, along with the fact that he was trying to avoid his debts. No doubt he’ll get admitted though might end up getting held up trying to explaining him self.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.