Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Dual US and Mexican citizen travel with Mexican a passport

Dual US and Mexican citizen travel with Mexican a passport

Reply

Old Apr 22, 18, 7:46 am
  #16  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,060
Originally Posted by wackyflyer View Post


Yes, his citizenship verified, along with the fact that he was trying to avoid his debts. No doubt he’ll get admitted though might end up getting held up trying to explaining him self.
Very unlikely to have to do anything except deal with the proof of US citizenship and proof of identity need when at a US port of entry (on US soil)..

Questions about civil debts, even to the federal government, don’t generally come up except in the rare situations where the the US dual-citizen is flagged for questioning to locate the alleged debtor subject to some sorts of federal claims. Unless the US dual-citizen is flagged for US passport revocation/denial while known to have been issued an unexpired US passport, I wouldn’t expect much more than a routine inquiry to verify citizenship and identity even of persons subject to US passport denial for civil debts.
GUWonder is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 18, 8:23 am
  #17  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 15,786
Just to make sure, your passport expired, and thus not able to renew due to child support? If so then as noted you'll need to fly to Mexico and enter via land border crossing. This will still subject you to issues with CBP, and in fact could cause legal issues since you lacked required documents for a US citizen to travel and re enter the US.

However it is different if you had your passport revoked. In that case you could run into much bigger legal issues returning to US. You'll be let in. However I would expect legal action for traveling without the correct documentation knowing that it couldn't legally be issued.

Bottom line you need to really ask a lawyer. Traveling could also prove problematic for your CS case and land you in jail. Ie if you can't afford CS then how can you afford travel, plus possible restrictions that were placed by judge or under state law .
flyerCO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 18, 9:16 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Dulles, VA
Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Posts: 2,522
US citizens enter the country every day without a passport, for a number of reasons, and none are prosecuted for it. Many are hassled, but that's the worst of it. Many dual citizens leave the US on a foreign passport. They are not prosecuted for that.

A US passport is truly not needed to leave or enter the US. The real problem, as frequently discussed, is getting on a plane without a passport valid to enter the US.
catocony is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 18, 11:51 am
  #19  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,060
Originally Posted by catocony View Post
US citizens enter the country every day without a passport, for a number of reasons, and none are prosecuted for it. Many are hassled, but that's the worst of it. Many dual citizens leave the US on a foreign passport. They are not prosecuted for that.

A US passport is truly not needed to leave or enter the US. The real problem, as frequently discussed, is getting on a plane without a passport valid to enter the US.
Indeed. The return to the US is where the issue is most likely, and that is why the OP will have to look at using a US land-border crossing to get back into the US or the OP will have to get a US embassy/consulate involved in getting a US-issued international travel doc to return to the US — speaking of the use of commercial carrier means.
GUWonder is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 18, 1:08 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Dulles, VA
Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Posts: 2,522
I wonder what a consulate would do if an American showed up and needed a temporary passport or another doc acceptable to airlines to travel. Would they tell the American tough luck, since he or she is not eligible for a passport? The State Department can deny a passport, but can they refuse to assist a US citizen from returning home? Not prevent him or her, but not assist?
catocony is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 18, 1:12 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 170
I believe they'd issue a one time use emergency travel document, good for one trip destined to the United States.
iamflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 18, 1:55 pm
  #22  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,060
Originally Posted by catocony View Post
I wonder what a consulate would do if an American showed up and needed a temporary passport or another doc acceptable to airlines to travel. Would they tell the American tough luck, since he or she is not eligible for a passport? The State Department can deny a passport, but can they refuse to assist a US citizen from returning home? Not prevent him or her, but not assist?
From State, such US citizen gets a limited use US passport or substitute document to facilitate their return to the US.
GUWonder is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 18, 3:03 pm
  #23  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 41,901
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post


From State, such US citizen gets a limited use US passport or substitute document to facilitate their return to the US.
This would seem logical because there must be some people who leave the country on a valid US passport and who are out of the country when their passport is revoked.

On the other hand, OP should be very careful not to make any untrue statements on his DS-11 and other accompanying forms and oral statements. Making false statements (written or oral) is a felony in and of itself. Thus, OP would need to explain that he deliberately did what he did in order to travel without a passport.

Depending on how much the Phillipines trip cost, those statements may amount to a confession to the federal crime of wilfully failing to pay child support. Not often prosecuted, but not out of the question in the case of someone who has crossed both State and CBP, as well as local authorities.
Often1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 18, 3:24 pm
  #24  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,060
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Thus, OP would need to explain that he deliberately did what he did in order to travel without a passport.

Depending on how much the Phillipines trip cost, those statements may amount to a confession to the federal crime of wilfully failing to pay child support. Not often prosecuted, but not out of the question in the case of someone who has crossed both State and CBP, as well as local authorities.
There is no need for doing what is suggested in the quoted first sentence above. The topic of how the OP got/is abroad will often come up but it doesn’t change a thing. If there is an effort to issue a passport, then the classification of being subject to passport denial/revocation will already be obvious to those providing ACS to the OP at our embassies/consulates and discussing a civil debt claim need not be done — just listen.

The cost of the Philippines trip is irrelevant to such circumstances and has nothing to do with willful or unwillful payment of civil debt claims and the related entitlement to some or all US consular services for getting US docs to fly back to the US.

Providing the government with more details than minimally necessary to procure a “service” is never a good idea even when not subject to passport denial/revocation. And there is no need in such circumstances as the OP’s to discuss anything with State other than to work toward getting accepted as having proof of identity and citizenship and seeking facilitation to repatriate.
GUWonder is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 18, 3:41 pm
  #25  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 41,901
Nobody has suggested that OP provide more than is required. The temporary passport replacing document process will require OP to provide the same information as a new or renewal passport application as well as an explanation of the circumstances of his "lost or stolen" passport. False statements in connection with that are felonies and, to put it politely, inadviseable.

OP won't need to raise the passport revocation issue. That will be known to the Consular officials with whom he is dealing and the whole mess referred over to either Diplomatic Security (which handles this stuff for State) or ICE (which handles for DHS) once he is back in the US.
Often1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 18, 4:50 pm
  #26  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,060
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Nobody has suggested that OP provide more than is required. The temporary passport replacing document process will require OP to provide the same information as a new or renewal passport application as well as an explanation of the circumstances of his "lost or stolen" passport. False statements in connection with that are felonies and, to put it politely, inadviseable.

OP won't need to raise the passport revocation issue. That will be known to the Consular officials with whom he is dealing and the whole mess referred over to either Diplomatic Security (which handles this stuff for State) or ICE (which handles for DHS) once he is back in the US.
What “lost or stolen” passport? That, DS(S) and ICE have nothing to do with the OP’s situation unless you know more about the OP than that which has been mentioned by the OP in this thread.
GUWonder is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 18, 5:50 pm
  #27  
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: VNY | BUR | LAX
Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Posts: 11,544
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Folks,

This subject matter has been exhausted.

Unless you have something new to add or the OP adds additional details about his situation, it is time to move on.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security comoderator
TWA884 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 18, 6:22 pm
  #28  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: California
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Just to make sure, your passport expired, and thus not able to renew due to child support? If so then as noted you'll need to fly to Mexico and enter via land border crossing. This will still subject you to issues with CBP, and in fact could cause legal issues since you lacked required documents for a US citizen to travel and re enter the US.

However it is different if you had your passport revoked. In that case you could run into much bigger legal issues returning to US. You'll be let in. However I would expect legal action for traveling without the correct documentation knowing that it couldn't legally be issued.

Bottom line you need to really ask a lawyer. Traveling could also prove problematic for your CS case and land you in jail. Ie if you can't afford CS then how can you afford travel, plus possible restrictions that were placed by judge or under state law .
My passport did expire I sent in the renewal and it was denied due to CS. I was told it wouldn't but i had a feeling it would. I do pay for both CS and arrears. I won't be able to renew my US passport till I bring my balance to 0 which won't be for a few years.

I do go to mexico i just use the California real ID with no issues to cross back
Pablo Zatarain is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread