Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Airports with Unified Immigration/Customs Screening

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
At least a few U.S. airports appear to have unified immigration (passport check) and customs (baggage check) for GE, MPC, APC, and and all others. Instead of a process involving a CBP check of your passport (or reviewing your GE slip) followed by collection of checked bags and then questions from a customs agent re food, other things to declare, etc., now there's a single check by a CBP agent immediately after the GE kiosk or other check (mobile passport, regular line). After that, you're free to proceed unless there's a reason for CBP to direct a secondary screening.

After claiming your luggage, all exit through one exit which is overseen by CBP, but similar to European "nothing to declare" lines, no one is stopping you (unless you are pulled aside for a secondary).

Airports with unified screening

• Atlanta (ATL)
  • Boston (BOS)
  • Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)
  • Houston (IAH)
  • Miami (MIA)
  • Newark (EWR)
    • Terminal B
  • New York JFK (JFK)
    • Terminal 1
    • Terminal 4
    • Terminal 8
  • San Diego (SAN)
  • San Francisco (SFO)
  • Washington Dulles (IAD)
Print Wikipost

Airports with Unified Immigration/Customs Screening

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 12:02 pm

All passengers get this treatment at NAS and STT, I wonder if it's also the case at other preclearance airports.
Old May 30, 2018, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by samwise6222
I traveled through JFK in April and some of them were still getting used to this unified processing thing.

After we were told to go to the baggage area, someone ran after us to collect the global entry forms (about 20 of us went through without anyone collecting our GE form).
Is this at all terminals in JFK or only some? I don't recall seeing it last time at JFK, but can't remember which terminal I was at
Old Jun 2, 2018, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
All passengers get this treatment at NAS and STT, I wonder if it's also the case at other preclearance airports.
Actually, only NAS, FPO, AUA, and some Canadian cities, as well as DUB & SNN and AUH, as well.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:56 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I think ATL also falls under the unified list. The last few times I've arrived, no CBP form has been distributed and passengers just collect their bags and exit.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:50 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
From the American Airlines | AAdvantage forum:
AA Guide: DFW / Dallas - Fort Worth International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc

Originally Posted by georgina80
I thought that it was interesting that the GE officer took our print-outs before we had even collected our baggage. It's like they consolidated the immigration and customs into one officer. When I fly into LAX, it's usually a two-step process where I go through the GE kiosk, keep the paper, and get into a second line for customs once I have collected my luggage. Interesting.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by SDQBound
I think ATL also falls under the unified list. The last few times I've arrived, no CBP form has been distributed and passengers just collect their bags and exit.
No CBP form is even distributed? That's new - usually you have to fill out the blue form, unless you're using one of the automated systems) - unified system means only that they collect it at immigration.

Edited to add: Oh, I see now the blue form is being phased out. I'd say that's different, although related to, the unified check being discussed in this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29944993-post2.html
Old Jul 23, 2018, 1:48 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by drewguy
No CBP form is even distributed? That's new - usually you have to fill out the blue form, unless you're using one of the automated systems) - unified system means only that they collect it at immigration.

Edited to add: Oh, I see now the blue form is being phased out. I'd say that's different, although related to, the unified check being discussed in this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29944993-post2.html
I haven't seen CBP forms distributed in over a year on multiple international flights to JFK, IAD, ATL, which creates an issue at some PoE because they still require passengers who cannot go through the automated passport control to fill one out. At JFK, for example, the Diplomatic line has a sign asking Diplomats / Officials to fill out a form, only to have it stamped and retained by the immigration officer.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Hmm - I guess with GE I just haven't paid attention, but thought I had waved off the FAs during distribution.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:38 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation Moderator's Action

As unified screening is being used for just about all passengers arriving at airports where the procedure has been implemented, not just Global Entry members and other trusted travelers, please follow this thread as it is relocated to the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
That seems to be the norm at several airports; I've had a few similar experiences in MIA about a year ago.
And JFK T8 in mid June of this year.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:20 am

Thought I would add to this discussion based on my experience at SAN 2 weeks ago. A slightly modified procedure from what is described in the Wiki and different to what I saw 9 months ago.

Upon arrival passengers go direct to baggage claim. GE Kiosks are also located nearby.

Upon collection of checked luggage passengers go to see an office at a booth. Photo taken by the officer, a few brief questions about food etc and then out to the exit. No sign of APC machines and no blue forms were collected.

Since the international terminal appears to be undergoing renovations it is not clear if this process is temporary or not.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Where is EWR Terminal C? It is not often used, but it is the same process as Terminal B; actually, even easier than Terminal B in my opinion.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:16 am

Programs: UA 1k
I think they changed to this in SFO, too, sometime between March and June (if my memory serves correctly; which it often doesn't).
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:43 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by polarbears
I think they changed to this in SFO, too, sometime between March and June (if my memory serves correctly; which it often doesn't).
Yeah, it was changed sometime after March 24 and before Jul 8.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by polarbears
Yes, when I arrived at SFO G on Friday there was a big EXIT sign after baggage claim pointing to an open path. I did a GE interview on arrival, so I never had a receipt and can't comment on that part of the process (my actual entry apparently was handled through the mobile app submission). It does look like everyone with actual GE had to line up to hand their receipt to the immigration officer; I don't know if that was true before or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.