Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Bag clearing TSA checkpoint before me - best practice?

Old Mar 28, 18, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National Executive Elite

I heard it's good practice to ensure your bag enters the X-ray prior to yourself walking through the metal detector.

What is best practice when the metal detector selects you for a random screening and you're made to wait for an agent while your bag is already on the other side of the X-ray?
Old Mar 28, 18, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It depends on the checkpoint. Most are set up so that you can keep your eye on the bag until an Officer pulls you (and the bag) into secondary. But, not all. If you can't see your bag, you can try to enlist an Officer to pull the bag and stick it somewhere you can see it, but it's an urban myth that you have a right to this.
Old Mar 28, 18, 12:24 pm

Programs: UAL IK;Marriott Plat Elite;Hyatt Diamond;Hilton Gold;Hertz Presidents Circle
Tell the TSA you must be able to see your bag at all times
Old Mar 28, 18, 1:45 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Originally Posted by debua1k View Post
Tell the TSA you must be able to see your bag at all times
You can try that, but odds are that it won't work. It never has for me. I always opt out and have always been pulled aside and rarely can I see my bags. When I bring this to the attention of the TSA inspector, I usually get grief and have been told that it is my problem because I choose to opt out.
Old Mar 28, 18, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by davie355 View Post
I heard it's good practice to ensure your bag enters the X-ray prior to yourself walking through the metal detector.

What is best practice when the metal detector selects you for a random screening and you're made to wait for an agent while your bag is already on the other side of the X-ray?
Make sure anything theft-worthy is in a locked compartment. Unfortunately, that doesn't help with all electronics, but it does mean things like sunglasses and wallets and watches and jewelry and prescription meds aren't ready to hand.
Old Mar 28, 18, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, La Quinta, BW
Always lock a bag going through screening. Put phone, wallet, purse, etc. into a locked section of your carry-on. If delayed, say in a loud voice, "I cannot see my bag(s)." Keep making noise about it. I find the more I protest the faster I'm reunited with my possessions.
Old Mar 31, 18, 9:45 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
This.

Originally Posted by Dianne47 View Post
Always lock a bag going through screening. Put phone, wallet, purse, etc. into a locked section of your carry-on..
Old Apr 2, 18, 10:32 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Folks,

Per the sticky post, the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum is informational. Before posting here, please ask yourself: “If I were traveling today, is this something I need to know?”

Please limit your messages to practical advice and save you opinion, commentary and rants for the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Post(s) have been deleted.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Apr 5, 18, 12:59 pm

TSA doesn't have an issue with locked bags going through security? I guess not from this posts, but that is a surprise to me.
Old May 1, 18, 1:15 pm

It used to be a TSA requirement that you waited to go thru the metal detector until your bag was on the conveyor belt and on its way into the machine.
Old May 2, 18, 10:04 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
TSA doesn't have an issue with locked bags going through security? I guess not from this posts, but that is a surprise to me.
They don't care as long as you can unlock it. I've had a locked bag go for secondary inspection by hand a couple times and they just ask me to remove the lock and then inspect as normal.

(On the handful of occasions this has happened at various airports the security checkpoint staff had never had the Travel Sentry master keys for the "TSA compliant" locks, so they ask me to open it instead).
Old May 18, 18, 3:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If you want to minimize the chances for unaccountable theft or other misappropriation of your carry-on items while being bodily screened or waiting to be bodily screened, then note what some do: use a locked, hard, non-zipper case with a non-TSA lock and take nothing out of the case for separate screening on the X-ray belt; and while this may often result in the bag being opened in owner’s presence and its held items being removed for screening/re-screening, af least it works out better for those who are willing to spend a little more time to reduce the chances of an item going missing at the screening checkpoint.
Old May 18, 18, 5:43 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Reminder!

Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
Folks,

Per the sticky post, the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum is informational. Before posting here, please ask yourself: “If I were traveling today, is this something I need to know?”

Please limit your messages to practical advice and save you opinion, commentary and rants for the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Post(s) have been deleted.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Just to be crystal clear, your opinions of TSA screeners and how they should be called or addressed belong in the Debate forum.

Additional posts have been deleted.

TWA884

Search this Thread