Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Watches and necklaces on or off when going through whole body scanner?

Watches and necklaces on or off when going through whole body scanner?

Old Mar 19, 2018, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Watches and Necklace on or off when being scanned?

Hi All
When they had metal detectors I removed my necklace and watch just in case, so no delays. And I continued doing it when I go thru the scanners now. I only keep my ID in my hand and raise them.

But on my last trip I saw some people keep on their watches.

Is this allowed?

Thanks
Old Mar 19, 2018, 3:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Yes it is
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:15 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this discussion in the TS/S Forum
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Lesterjswinkl likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
It appears different locations have their detectors set at different sensitivities.
In China -for instance- a watch, belt buckle, and/or metal framed sunglasses might trigger the "red beep". The same items will not sound in the USA.
Although they are allowed, I also take watches and belts off in order to hopefully prevent a secondary screening/pat-down.

Added:
I see OP seems to be talking specifically about the new scanners. The scanner will definitely "see" the watch, necklace, and point to its location on the crude body image on the monitor.
It would be up to the security personnel to determine if that is worthy of secondary screening or verification. To improve the chance of "clear passage" I still recommend to take those items off.
Lesterjswinkl likes this.

Last edited by narvik; Mar 19, 2018 at 7:35 pm Reason: added
Old Mar 20, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
My general advice is to remove it. If you get the beep for secondary or at the discretion of an officer for the body scanner or a pat down, then it just creates needless hassle.

As far as actually alerting at the WTMD, It depends on the tolerance of the metal detector. The overwhelming majority in the US won't trigger for a watch, even if it is metal. Neckklace would depend on the size and metal content.

One metal detector I am aware of with an insanely low tolerance is the WTMD at IAH Terminal A Precheck lane. That would trigger for both my shoes (leather with no visible metal) and my belt (only metal is a small buckle, rest is leather). I would go through there once a week for about a year and people would see me taking off my belt, shoes, and taking out a laptop (I had two) and lecture me on how to use the lane properly (In contrast, I had to still remove one laptop at IAH Terminal C, but the same belt and shoes did not trigger the metal detector there, or dozens of other US airport checkpoints).

Like Often1 I just put these key items into a pocket of my carry-on bag and put that in the X-ray before walking through the metal detector.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lindalogan
Hi All
When they had metal detectors I removed my necklace and watch just in case, so no delays. And I continued doing it when I go thru the scanners now. I only keep my ID in my hand and raise them.

But on my last trip I saw some people keep on their watches.

Is this allowed?

Thanks
I am so sorry, I confused everyone as I do not write well.
My question was if I can wear a watch and or necklace when being scanned by those <whole body scanner> machines, not metal detectors. sorry
flatdawgs likes this.

Last edited by TWA884; Mar 20, 2018 at 8:01 pm Reason: Term better left for the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum
Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
I am so sorry, I confused everyone as I do not write well.
My question was if I can wear a watch and or necklace when being scanned by those <whole body scanner> machines, not metal detectors. sorry
The body scanners have detected a clarinex pill (2 millimeters by 1 millimeter tops) in the corner of my pocket. If you leave a watch or necklace on, it is highly likely to be detected by millimeter wave or back-scatter x-ray body scanners.

Last edited by TWA884; Mar 20, 2018 at 8:02 pm Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Mar 21, 2018, 7:30 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note - Please Stay on Topic

Folks,

This thread is about wearing watches and jewelry while being screened in whole body scanners, not while passing through metal detectors.

If you wish to discuss wearing watches while going through the metal detectors, we have an active thread on that topic:
Posts have been moved.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Hi All
I will just try it and see what happens. Like I said, I saw several people go thru the whole body scanners wearing their watches...
I took mine off and my necklace, I was just wondering if it was required to remove them.
Thanks
Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:50 am

I took mine off and my necklace, I was just wondering if it was required to remove them.
There are no universal rules, not only do different countries have different rules but different ports have different technology even within a single country and so may well have different procedures.

I wear a dress watch and silver ring, the former I take off and the later stays on and never had an issue. The Mrs does similar but has much more jewelry (silver, gold and platinum). She's had to go through body scanners a couple of times and never been asked to remove anything (and in fact cannot remove her wedding band even if she wanted to)
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Thank you TWA884
During whole body scanners, I now keep my watch and necklace on, while keeping my ID in my hand.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Thank you TWA884
During whole body scanners, I now keep my watch and necklace on, while keeping my ID in my hand.
When you show your ID at front of security checkpoints, but you don't have show your ID to screener again after you cleared at security. Just put it away. You put ID in your wallet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.