Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passports and changes in appearance

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2007, 12:22 am

Programs: MR Gold, DCL Silver, RSSC Silver
I look very different than my passport photo, especially my beard.

Never even got a comment on it.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 7:11 am

From day 1 my PP photo never resembled me at all. The photo was taken at a bad, wide-angle and makes my face look rounder and fatter than it is, but I was in a hurry at the time and just needed a photo to get the PP.

Friends tell me I look nothing like the photo.

Sometimes I am asked about this at immigration, (most of the time, they ask if I've lost weight) but other than a few perfunctory questions like this, I've never had any problems. I'd say 95% of the time no one even takes a second look.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 7:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It might get a comment or a few more questions, but it's unlikely to cause any serious problem even for those travelling internationally a lot.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 7:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AA Platinum
Ive put on a lot of weight and look nothing like my id. No one questions me, but as long as you look "normal" (with or without facial hair) then you should have no problem. It is you after all.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 8:39 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
I lost 40 pounds since my last passport photo... and a little more hair.

Nobody notices. Would it kill them to say, "Gee, Mr. Sinanju... good job dropping the weight"?
Old Oct 10, 2007, 11:22 am

Programs: AA, US, DL, UA, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver
My Drivers license had a bad picture. Horrible actually. It was from the big glasses, big hair era (pictures were saved at DMV and used on renewals). Since then I've become much more updated in style. Well I started traveling a lot domestically and I used to get a ton of comments. They used to just flat out laugh and say "my, you've improved with age!". Was funny until I was traveling with my boss and he wanted to see what they were laughing at. Went to DMV that week and insisted on a new picture.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 12:09 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I have gotten occasional comments on some ID photos which don't look as much like me as they should (my passport is OK; my DL photo looks much younger, as does an ATM card photo taken several years after my passport photo, of all things).

Never any problems, though. Just the occasional, "Were you in high school when this was taken?" and the like (and no, I wasn't, either--oldest of those photos is my passport, which was taken the year I graduated from college).
Old Oct 10, 2007, 4:44 pm
Pit

Programs: AA Plt, Hyatt Dia
I've added facial hair and aged 8 years since my pp photo was taken. Looks nothing like me (IMO), but I've not had any problems.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:07 am

Hair dye/Passport question

So here is an odd question I'm hoping the FT community can help me with.

In January, my wife and I made a deal with my son-if he continued to achieve a 4.0 grade average in 6th grade through the end of school, we would let him temporarily dye his hair fluorescent green for our trip to Mexico over Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, he achieved his end of the deal, and graduated 6th grade with a 4.1 GPA (still unsure how he got the .1 grade point, but that's a separate discussion for a different forum).

My concern is this-his passport photo is that of a brow- haired, smiling 12 year old, not that of a 12 year old with hair coloring resembling a safety barricade on a construction site. While I'm more than happy to simply play the role of the parent and say 'nope-pick another time', we did have a deal. I'm just worried getting turned away by either the <redacted by moderator> members at the TSA checkpoint of the airport, or worse, Customs and Immigration in Cancun, due to his passport not matching the individual in front of them.

Am i being overly worried?

To my son's credit, and after explaining my concerns, he understood completely and is fine with whatever decision is made (not that he'd have a choice, but this isn't a matter of 'YOU PROMISED, DAD!!!').

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by TWA884; Oct 28, 2017 at 8:11 am Reason: Derisive gross generalization (please refer to this forum's sticky post)
Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Don't worry. If hair color was something that they rejected people for neither Mrs drminn nor any of her friends would be able to cross any international border.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Absolutely will not be a problem. When our daughter was a teenager traveling with us worldwide her hair was various colors, including bright pink, fluorescent blue, neon green, etc. No one at any immigration office ever blinked an eye.

In fact her hair was partially dyed bright blue when she needed her passport renewed. Concerned whether it would be OK for the photo, the passport agent at the post office called the State Department to confirm that wouldn't be a problem for the passport photo itself, and it wasn't. The next trip with her using the new passport (to CUN in fact), her hair was actually back closer to her natural sandy blonde color and her passport photo had the blue hair - again, no problems.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
It won't be a problem as long as the picture still resembles the real one.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 12:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk @Phineas Q Butterfat.

Please follow the redirect as we move your post.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Oct 28, 2017, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Hair color changes all the time for lots of people. It won't be a problem. If it makes you feel any better, bring along a "before" picture.

At worst, your son will get a bit of a stare and an extra glance.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Hair color changes all the time for lots of people. It won't be a problem. If it makes you feel any better, bring along a "before" picture.

At worst, your son will get a bit of a stare and an extra glance.
Usually I'm the one causing the stares and extra glances. It'll be pleasant to have another person in our party be the center of attention.

Thanks for all of the answers and helpful advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.