FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Travelers with Non-Compliant ID's from Real ID Compliant States (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1891349-travelers-non-compliant-ids-real-id-compliant-states.html)

nopeda Jan 29, 2018 7:26 pm

driver's license id always worked but suddenly won't any more! Please Help!!!

I've had no problem getting through airport security with my current valid GA driver's license for years but today learned we can no longer get through with a valid driver's license that doesn't have a gold star on it which was never an issue before. At this point in time it's within 150 days of when the license will expire so I "should be" able to renew it, but it takes 2 weeks from the time you renew until you actually receive the new license and my date to fly is in only 10 days. Don't they take your old license when you renew, leaving you with no photo id? Would that not make it impossible to get through security? Could it possibly be better to not renew since there isn't enough time to actually receive the new license, and take the old still valid!!! license and birth certificate and social security card and work id with a photo on it and check stub with the last four digits of my social and...??? Or is there any other way of still possibly going on the flight? And getting back again also??? Paid for tickets to fly out of ATL to BOS 2/10/18, then back from BOS to ATL 2/14/18

Thank you for any help with this terrible situation!!!
David

MSPeconomist Jan 29, 2018 7:39 pm

I guess we can assume that this is a domestic itineerary.

If OP has a valid passport or passport card, problem solved. The same is true for GE card, NEXIS card, military photo ID, etc.

This sounds like a matter of "real ID." If so, OP should check carefully regarding the current status of the read ID requirement for GA state ID as I know that some states were recently given further extensions.

ADDED: If you have CLEAR and so does your departure airport(s), CLEAR is supposed to work so that you don't show an ID to a TSA document checker or anyone else for airport security. You might still need real ID compliant photo ID to check a bag (or not).

Often1 Jan 29, 2018 7:46 pm

If you have some other piece of compliant ID such as a passport or passport card, that is the easiest.

If you do not, TSA may still clear you through a checkpoint if it can verify your identity through other documents. Read the following from the TSA website and also bring with you as many pieces of ID as you can find. This could include work or school ID, utility and tax bills.

Allow plenty of extra time.

Forgot Your ID?

In the event you arrive at the airport without valid identification, because it is lost or at home, you may still be allowed to fly. The TSA officer may ask you to complete an identity verification process which includes collecting information such as your name, current address, and other personal information to confirm your identity. If your identity is confirmed, you will be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint. You may be subject to additional screening, to include a patdown and screening of carry-on property.

You will not be allowed to enter the security checkpoint if your identity cannot be confirmed, you chose to not provide proper identification or you decline to cooperate with the identity verification process.

TSA recommends that you arrive at least two hours in advance of your flight time.

If your identity cannot be verified, you will not be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint.

TWA884 Jan 29, 2018 8:11 pm

Moderator's Note

@nopeda,

I moved your thread to the relevant forum.

Take a look at these threads:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

sorab Jan 29, 2018 8:51 pm

"Don't they take your old license when you renew, leaving you with no photo id?"

I don't think it works that way, though I have no experience with GA DMV. Generally, they'll either issue you a new license at the spot or mail you a new one with a new expiration date. You get to keep your previous license (I know I still have my old license), so you'll never be without a license.

phltraveler Jan 29, 2018 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by sorab (Post 29355853)
"Don't they take your old license when you renew, leaving you with no photo id?"

I don't think it works that way, though I have no experience with GA DMV. Generally, they'll either issue you a new license at the spot or mail you a new one with a new expiration date. You get to keep your previous license (I know I still have my old license), so you'll never be without a license.

This is an interim license in New York:

https://i.imgur.com/Mtyd3xzm.png

You don't get to keep your prior license when exchanging for an interim in NY. (You can if you renew online/by mail, but there are limitations around that depending on your documentation, age, and how long it has been since you have had your last photo taken). The prior document is surrendered and the interim is all you have in the meantime.

The interim from Georgia has photos but is printed on "secure paper", which likely presents acceptance challenges out of state. TSA may or may not accept it.

OP should exchange the license for the temp and then take the paper copy along with some credit cards/other potential proofs of ID with extra time for screening. At least GA prints the photo on the temp license, which is way better than NY (screeners/bartenders/anyone checking ID out of state laughs at the temp NY license and a lot of in-state parties will refuse it).

rickg523 Jan 29, 2018 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by nopeda (Post 29355596)
I've had no problem getting through airport security with my current valid GA driver's license for years but today learned we can no longer get through with a valid driver's license that doesn't have a gold star on it which was never an issue before. At this point in time it's within 150 days of when the license will expire so I "should be" able to renew it, but it takes 2 weeks from the time you renew until you actually receive the new license and my date to fly is in only 10 days. Don't they take your old license when you renew, leaving you with no photo id? Would that not make it impossible to get through security? Could it possibly be better to not renew since there isn't enough time to actually receive the new license, and take the old still valid!!! license and birth certificate and social security card and work id with a photo on it and check stub with the last four digits of my social and...??? Or is there any other way of still possibly going on the flight? And getting back again also??? Paid for tickets to fly out of ATL to BOS 2/10/18, then back from BOS to ATL 2/14/18

Thank you for any help with this terrible situation!!!
David

David,
Check the rules again.
I found this on dds.georgia.gov

Air Travel Alert

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) no longer accepts Temporary (Interim) Licenses and ID Cards as proof of identification for boarding flights at airports. If you're making changes to your license and plan to fly, please plan ahead of time. Your permanent license will be received within 30 days of receiving the Temporary (Interim) document. Please refer to the TSA website for a list of acceptable documents.

ga_girl Jan 30, 2018 10:06 am

I'm not sure why Real ID would be enforced now. This site:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.1debb6e85d57
says that non compliant Georgia drivers licenses can be used for air travel until Oct 1 2020

Georgia is compliant with Real ID, so I believe your old license would still be usable.
https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs#
Starting January 22, 2018, passengers with a driver's license issued by a state that is still not compliant with the REAL ID Act (and has not been granted an extension) will need to show an alternative form of acceptable identification for domestic air travel to board their flight. To check whether your state is compliant or has an extension, click here. Passengers with driver's licenses issued by a state that is compliant with REAL ID (or a state that has been issued an extension) will still be able to use their driver's licenses or identification cards.

When you renew your Georgia DL, you'll have to have a fair amount of documentation
https://dds.georgia.gov/SecureId

nopeda Jan 30, 2018 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by ga_girl (Post 29358022)
I'm not sure why Real ID would be enforced now. This site:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.1debb6e85d57
says that non compliant Georgia drivers licenses can be used for air travel until Oct 1 2020

Georgia is compliant with Real ID, so I believe your old license would still be usable.

Thank You!!! I found several other sites saying the same:

If travelers live in a Real ID compliant state but hold a noncompliant license, they will be able to use the noncompliant license as ID until Oct. 1, 2020.
TSA grants states extension to meet Real ID requirements: Travel Weekly

If you haven’t yet received your state's REAL ID compliant driver’s license — the new higher-security ID that will be required to board domestic flights — you probably won't need to worry about it for a while: The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has pushed the official deadline for enforcement from Jan. 22, 2018, to Oct. 1, 2020, for the 27 states that already have them available; other states have been granted extensions.
https://travel.aarp.org/articles-tip...icense-fd.html

This means that if you have a driver’s license from one of the yellow-colored non-compliant states on the DHS website, your license could only be good for air travel through October 11, 2018. If you live in a green-colored compliant state, you have until Oct 2020 to be sure you have a compliant ID.
TSA Archives - TravelSkills

27 states, as well as the District of Columbia, already are compliant; people in those states can use their old IDs until Oct. 1, 2020, or can use their new Real IDs as they’re issued.
Should You Worry About Real ID?: Business Travel News

Update 12/28/17: The TSA has reached out to clarify that only IDs issued by compliant states can be used until 2020. IDs issued by states with extensions are valid until October 11, 2018.
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/12/tsa...vers-licenses/

TWA884 Jan 30, 2018 2:02 pm

Moderator's Note

The thread title has been updated to accurately describe the topic of the discussion.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator