Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wearing Watch through Metal Detector?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: UA Plat
In one of my last four ex-CDG departures (ca. 2/2017), I was asked to remove my (mostly non-metal) fitness watch. No choice. At none of the other times was the same watch a problem.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
I've had the same two experiences multiple times.

TSA/CATSA agents telling me to put it in my carry on............TSA/CATSA agents not caring that it is left on my wrist, and not getting frisked.

I just put it in my carry on now to reduce time spent in case I get hassled.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by KDS777
I've had the same two experiences multiple times.

TSA/CATSA agents telling me to put it in my carry on............TSA/CATSA agents not caring that it is left on my wrist, and not getting frisked.

I just put it in my carry on now to reduce time spent in case I get hassled.
I've had the same happen. It's the uncertainty that causes me to err on the side of caution. Easier to take it off and put it in m carry-on than risk being frisked or having to drop it in the bin.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:36 pm

I've had good results with a mixed material watch - metal face/clasp but plastic band.

I have however had the WTMD go off for a Fitbit Zip (clipped onto a pocket) and if you can believe it, nail polish with metallic glitter pieces. So I mainly stash Fitbit/watch/jewelry now.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I've never taken a watch off, or a belt in years, and I've never buzzed (other than random selections).
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:59 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
I always remove my watch before going through a metal detector at airports. I do the same at Federal buildings. I don't wear a necklace, so I can't comment on that. It may depend on whether your strap is metal or leather/cloth.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 5:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
It depends on the setting of the metal detectors and how much metal is in the watch. My plastic Casio has very little metal and can usually go through without a problem. My stainless Omega with a steel bracelet goes into my bag before going through. If in doubt take it off but don't be surprised or complain if you leave it on and get a secondary inspection. I recall being held up by a woman who furiously arguing about being wanded even though she was wearing a heavy bracelet, necklace, earrings, large wrist watch and multiple rings.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 6:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no correct answer to this. If you travel through a specific checkpoint on a regular basis, you will likely figure out the machines' tolerance for metal. But, that includes all metal in roughly the same vicinity, e.g., watch, belt buckle and anything else.

I toss everything, including watch, into a pocket of my carry-on and don't even think about it. It may add 5-10 seconds to the process.
Randyk47 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
I do the same as Often1. I really haven’t changed my routine even with PreCheck.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:25 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
I always remove my watch before going through a metal detector at airports. I do the same at Federal buildings. I don't wear a necklace, so I can't comment on that. It may depend on whether your strap is metal or leather/cloth.
Bolding mine: No necklace for me but I also always remove my watch* (and place it into my jacket pocket which then goes into a bin and thru the x-ray machine) whenever I go thru any metal detector (airport, official type building, sports arena and etc)

*metal case and metal wrist band
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:08 am
Suspended

Interesting question. I've never bothered or been asked to remove my watch before walking through the screening machine. I think the sensitivity of the machine is variable and some airports have them dialed up quite a bit higher than other airports. It think it is cumulative as mentioned above but if they are dialed right up, just about anything including a simple belt buckle will set them off. I sometimes walk through and set it off. That usually just results in having the 'wand' passed over me and as it beeps when passing over my watch, the cause is obvious and I am then passed on with no more hassle. I have actually been stopped more often for something in my carry-on that the person could not identify in the x-ray and asked me to get out and show them.

As I wear a relatively expensive watch, I would be reluctant to remove it and throw it in the trays provided for loose change etc. Too many people in a somewhat confusing situation, who might get light fingered if they saw the opportunity. It's a Rolex. I would consider it more hassle to remove it and put it in my carry-on, then have to take it out of my carry-on and put it back on my wrist, than it is to just have the wand passed over me if I set the machine off.

But again, I've never been asked to remove it. Shoes yes, belt yes, but never asked to remove my watch.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:16 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by narvik
It appears different locations have their detectors set at different sensitivities.
In China -for instance- a watch, belt buckle, and/or metal framed sunglasses might trigger the "red beep". The same items will not sound in the USA.
Although they are allowed, I also take watches and belts off in order to hopefully prevent a secondary screening/pat-down.
In China the metal detector is a formality, everyone beeps and is simply an excuse for the secondary wanding and pat down by the person behind. I have yet at PVG and PEK not beeped. I suspect you can go thru naked and you'd beep, with a lot of eyes following you, LOL
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, Hertz 5*
My Rolex President is large and all 18 carat. We've been through numerous 'ports and it has never set off a detector.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:53 pm

I usually take mine off but recently I went through with it on and the gentleman never said anything.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My watch, with a stainless steel band, sets off the metal detector. I put it in my bag for the trip through security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.