Metal travel mug

Old Jan 21, 18, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NPR
Metal travel mug

Will a metal travel mug (Contigo brand) give me a problem?

I don't need it while in transit, so I'd prefer to carry it in my checked bag. But if it's going to have to be taken out for inspection, I'll probably put it in my carry-on. In principle I don't object to their opening my checked bag if they must, but in practice I don't trust them to repack it accurately.
Old Jan 21, 18, 11:55 pm

Shouldn't be a problem (as long as it's empty):

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...-thermos-empty
Old Jan 22, 18, 3:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by kochleffel View Post
Will a metal travel mug (Contigo brand) give me a problem?

I don't need it while in transit, so I'd prefer to carry it in my checked bag. But if it's going to have to be taken out for inspection, I'll probably put it in my carry-on. In principle I don't object to their opening my checked bag if they must, but in practice I don't trust them to repack it accurately.
In checked luggage, it may increase the odds of the bag being selected for some kind of rummaging examinations by screeners. Much the same as part of carry-on luggage if empty, but Id remove it for separate bin placement and scanning.
Old Jan 22, 18, 9:38 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
I've carried similar travel mugs in the past and I don't think I've ever had a checked bag opened when I had one. I'm about 50/50 when carrying beer and wine in my checked bags.

If you have room in your carry on and you're worried about it, I'd say just carry it on and be done with it.
Old Jan 23, 18, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies.

To be precise, the mug won't be empty. Even my checked bag will be of carry-on size, so I'll need the space for something. The mug just won't contain any liquid (or mysterious white powder, modeling clay, or peanut butter). My thought is that it increases the risk that the bag will be opened because of what it might contain.

I'll have to see whether there's room in the actual carry-on bag.
Old Jan 26, 18, 5:30 pm

Programs: EuroBonus
I've flown back from the US to Europe twice with mine filled with random stuff and a pair of socks, no inspection. This was out of IAD. YMMV.Fabric is probably safer than cables. Socks, ties, or whatever.I have also carried (empty) Sigg metal waterbottles in carry-or, no questions. DanishFlyer
Old Jan 27, 18, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DanishFlyer View Post
Fabric is probably safer than cables. Socks, ties, or whatever.
I was thinking the same thing. Thank you.
Old Feb 1, 18, 6:46 pm

I recently flew with a stainless steel tea kettle in my carry on. They didn't even look in the bag. The kettle was empty, and it's single-wall rather than the double-wall that you probably have with the mug, but I suspect you'll have no problems.

Search this Thread