Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Flying with my boarding pass and someone else's too

Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

I've got a roundtrip ticket going from Los Angeles to Tokyo (Narita) on All Nippon Airways for two passengers, me and my mom, departing on Jan 6. Unfortunately, my mom had to go to Tokyo early so she isn't able to use that roundtrip ticket. Its a waste of a ticket because ANA will probably cancel the second leg from Tokyo to Los Angeles. So, do you guys think I could use both my mom's and my own boarding pass at the gate scanner?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
Originally Posted by The metamorphosis
I've got a roundtrip ticket going from Los Angeles to Tokyo (Narita) on All Nippon Airways for two passengers, me and my mom, departing on Jan 6. Unfortunately, my mom had to go to Tokyo early so she isn't able to use that roundtrip ticket. Its a waste of a ticket because ANA will probably cancel the second leg from Tokyo to Los Angeles. So, do you guys think I could use both my mom's and my own boarding pass at the gate scanner?
The gate agent will need to see the passport corresponding to the boarding pass, this is an international flight.

Forget about it.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The head count won't match, either. Forget about it.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:21 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
And NH have a history of turning planes around 4 hours into flight if passengers don't match manifest. LOL
trooper likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:09 pm

So, do you guys think I could use both my mom's and my own boarding pass at the gate scanner?
Why would you want to?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:13 pm

BAD IDEA!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Why would you want to?
I guess OP never came back...I also wondered the same as your question.
To get FF miles? Or just to keep the seat next to him empty?

I guess similar to folks asking if they can online check-in to a hotel, never show up, and get the night credit.
But planes are different than rooms...
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by rwm818
I guess OP never came back...I also wondered the same as your question.
To get FF miles? Or just to keep the seat next to him empty?

I guess similar to folks asking if they can online check-in to a hotel, never show up, and get the night credit.
But planes are different than rooms...
Presumably, to have the empty seat next to him.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Presumably, his mom is still returning at the same time as him so maybe she bought a one-way and was hoping to use the return on the original ticket. Best bet probably would have been to break apart the PNRs and just change the outbound on his mom's itinerary. But all that is speculation and pointless now since OP was Jan 5 and flight was Jan 6.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
And if your mom doesn't use the outbound, the return gets canceled.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Why would you want to?
This was from a long time ago, but I was thinking that if I could, then it would be possible for my mom to use the returning leg of the ticket from Tokyo back to Los Angeles. I can't remember what ended up happening, but I think the leg from Tokyo to Los Angeles was cancelled, so she ended up buying another one-way ticket from Tokyo to Los Angeles.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 10:27 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
This was from a long time ago, but I was thinking that if I could, then it would be possible for my mom to use the returning leg of the ticket from Tokyo back to Los Angeles. I can't remember what ended up happening, but I think the leg from Tokyo to Los Angeles was cancelled, so she ended up buying another one-way ticket from Tokyo to Los Angeles.
That's a question for the ANA forum.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.