Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Loaded Magazine Found in Carry On Bag - Consequences?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Loaded Magazine Found in Carry On Bag - Consequences?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2018, 8:44 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Reminder:

Originally Posted by TWA884
When replying to this thread, please bear in mind that the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum is informational. Please answer the OP's question and limit your responses here to facts, past experiences and data points. Save your opinion and commentary for the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old May 25, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
Busted: Loaded Mag In My Carry-on. What to expect

So I was goung through the TSA Pre-Check screen ing and they found a loaded magazine in my carry-on.

I am a range instructor and participate in numerous firearms training events to this end I have a dedicated range bag so I do not know how it got mixed in with my carry on.

I am fully permitted to carry in my state as I worked for the district attorney's office. That being said, TSA called the cops and the TSA Supervisor.

I explained that I apologize and bear full responsiblity for my actions and presented my Global Entry and CCW credentials.

The LEO stated that he was not going to cite me but would have to write a report about it.

The TSA supervisor said as I had taken responsiblity and was very cooperative he would write in the report that this was a violation but was a "positive" encounter. Later he advised me that if I have no criminal history and no prior negative encounters with TSA that my punishment would be suspension from Global Entry for a year followed up by a warning letter with no fine imposed.

As a case report is generated, I will have to report this to my issuing agency for CCW. They may pull my permit or give me a

All in all, it sounds like I should not be worried. But would still like to hear about any possible other things I should be concerned about.

Yes, I am an Idiot. I should have checked my carry on.
Old May 25, 2018, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OUTraveling
So I was goung through the TSA Pre-Check screen ing and they found a loaded magazine in my carry-on.

I am a range instructor and participate in numerous firearms training events to this end I have a dedicated range bag so I do not know how it got mixed in with my carry on.

I am fully permitted to carry in my state as I worked for the district attorney's office. That being said, TSA called the cops and the TSA Supervisor.

I explained that I apologize and bear full responsiblity for my actions and presented my Global Entry and CCW credentials.

The LEO stated that he was not going to cite me but would have to write a report about it.

The TSA supervisor said as I had taken responsiblity and was very cooperative he would write in the report that this was a violation but was a "positive" encounter. Later he advised me that if I have no criminal history and no prior negative encounters with TSA that my punishment would be suspension from Global Entry for a year followed up by a warning letter with no fine imposed.

As a case report is generated, I will have to report this to my issuing agency for CCW. They may pull my permit or give me a

All in all, it sounds like I should not be worried. But would still like to hear about any possible other things I should be concerned about.

Yes, I am an Idiot. I should have checked my carry on.
If you were not cited are you sure you need to report this to the issuing agency.
Old May 25, 2018, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Given your position, I would consult a lawyer. That is specifically because of your position and possible, but unlikely consequences. If all of this goes sideways, you do want to be prepared and not in "wait" mode.

While you did the right thing by bringing the temperature down, TSA and certainly nobody at the checkpoint is the final say on what happens. Thus, you have to be prepared for someone up the food chain to take any action possible. Those actions:

1. Criminal - This was a crime. Seems highly unlikely in that people do this, are belligerent and unapologetic, and don't get find.
2. Civil penalty - DHS may seek penalties of up to $11,000. If DHS pursues this, it would propose a fine, usually a lot less than the maximum and you could either agree to that or contest the matter and be heard before an administrative judge. A finding could be appealed to federal court.
3. Your GE will likely be revoked. CBP, which administers the program, is really tough. One-year might apply to Pre-Check and you could apply for that after a year, but don't get your hopes up on GE.

In the ordinary course, I would tell you to sit back and do nothing. If anything happens, you will be notified. Nobody will arrest you in the middle of the night. But, if I worked in law enforcement or had a similar position, e.g. something where the consequences of action could go far beyond the issue itself, I would want a lawyer to take a look at all of this.

As to whether you notify the DA, that is a matter of your employer's policy and it may or may not matter that there is a citation issued. Something you or your lawyer will have to research.
Old May 25, 2018, 1:55 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Given your position, I would consult a lawyer. That is specifically because of your position and possible, but unlikely consequences. If all of this goes sideways, you do want to be prepared and not in "wait" mode.

While you did the right thing by bringing the temperature down, TSA and certainly nobody at the checkpoint is the final say on what happens. Thus, you have to be prepared for someone up the food chain to take any action possible. Those actions:

1. Criminal - This was a crime. Seems highly unlikely in that people do this, are belligerent and unapologetic, and don't get find.
2. Civil penalty - DHS may seek penalties of up to $11,000. If DHS pursues this, it would propose a fine, usually a lot less than the maximum and you could either agree to that or contest the matter and be heard before an administrative judge. A finding could be appealed to federal court.
3. Your GE will likely be revoked. CBP, which administers the program, is really tough. One-year might apply to Pre-Check and you could apply for that after a year, but don't get your hopes up on GE.

In the ordinary course, I would tell you to sit back and do nothing. If anything happens, you will be notified. Nobody will arrest you in the middle of the night. But, if I worked in law enforcement or had a similar position, e.g. something where the consequences of action could go far beyond the issue itself, I would want a lawyer to take a look at all of this.

As to whether you notify the DA, that is a matter of your employer's policy and it may or may not matter that there is a citation issued. Something you or your lawyer will have to research.
(3) is incorrect. GE is unlikely to get revoked. This is unlikely to get back to CBP. TSA PreCheck will likely be denied for 1 year based on the PreCheck disqualification list. See the GAO report for more information on how that list works.
Old May 25, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, IHG, BA, DL
I take it you had to throw away your mag and ammo at the TSA station ??

Since I was once an FFL, and consistently carry along my CCW handgun in my checked luggage, I always make it a habit of double checking my carry on's bag, zippered pockets, side pockets, etc before going thru the checkpoint.

I have had this fear that something like this might happen because I was so used to carrying gun frames, slides, parts, mags and ammo in my range bags as part of my old business....
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 3:46 pm

I would think if it was considered a felony the officer would be obligated under law to make the arrest therefor since you were not arrest on scene you are probably off the hook for any felony charge.
Given your description of the events if the responding police officer took the magazine and not the TSA it's a strong possibility that no further action will be taken.
Since you identified yourself as someone affiliated with law enforcement (worked for the DA) the TSA and the officer may have just decided to use some discretion, give you some professional courtesy and let the entire incident evaporate into nothing...
Do nothing/Say nothing and it may very well go away.... The fact that you continue to fly without any issue infers a strong probability you're off the hook...
Old May 28, 2018, 9:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The Officer, while a TSA Officer, is not a law enforcement officer and cannot make an arrest for anything. The most he could do is "briefly" detain a felon and hold him for a law enforcement officer to make an arrest (or not). Law enforcement officers are not required to make arrests for felonies, at least not for federal violations and most state jurisdictions.

I think that it is way overstating the authority of a front-line TSA Officer to suggest that a criminal or civil proceeding may follow. While it certainly helps that the Officer did not take immediate action, he did "write it up" and that report will be reviewed way above his pay grade.

OP should not do anything himself. But, a sensible person who cannot affirmatively say that he will not face felony prosecution and especially one who may face a job loss, ought to consult a lawyer. A real one whom he may consult on a privileged basis.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 1:15 pm

Did you ever heard anything about this issue ?

I hope you and yours are well on this crazy times. Did you hear anything back on your situation. I traveled a couple of days ago and used a carry on bag hadn’t used in a while. I passed through security and a barrel was found. Forgot I had a spare Glock barrel. They did the same thing picture of part, Id wrote in a piece of paper my name address etc. cops came,they were actually nice no issue I told them it was a mistake. They return the part to me and ask to check luggage. Nervous as they took Pictures of ID etc. didn’t say anything else. Was wondering what’s next ? Words of wisdom. ?? Please
Old Feb 22, 2021, 3:54 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
If you were allowed to continue on your way with the "offending" item then nothing is next.

However, the incident and your identifying information have been entered into a database. This might result in being singled out for additional screening the next time passing through a checkpoint.

Should you be involved in a future incident with the same law enforcement agency (or possibly others depending upon data sharing agreements between them) then they will be aware of the previous incident which might or might not have some bearing on the investigative process for the new incident.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 4:08 pm

Thank you for your response.

Originally Posted by Section 107
If you were allowed to continue on your way with the "offending" item then nothing is next.

However, the incident and your identifying information have been entered into a database. This might result in being singled out for additional screening the next time passing through a checkpoint.

Should you be involved in a future incident with the same law enforcement agency (or possibly others depending upon data sharing agreements between them) then they will be aware of the previous incident which might or might not have some bearing on the investigative process for the new incident.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.