Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Backpack with integrated unmarked powerbank international to international PEK

Old Oct 20, 17, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS - MVP, Star Citizen - Concierge/Subscriber

This is my first international transfer (ANC-SEA-PEK-BKK) and I am shopping for a new tech backpack. The Ghostek NRG Solar checks off everything I am looking for in a new pack. (water resistant, routable usb cables, external plug, cost under $200)
https://www.amazon.com/Ghostek-NRGso...ct_top?ie=UTF8
When I contacted Ghostek regarding the battery they informed me that the capacity is unmarked on the battery but I could print the invoice to get it through security.

My research has told me that anything unmarked will get confiscated. Would they accept an invoice in lieu of the marked capacity?

If not does anyone have recommendations on packs with routable power?
Old Oct 22, 17, 9:40 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
China is the only place I've been that is absolutely obsessed with battery packs. Expect issues with them.
Old Oct 24, 17, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, I may just leave my extra one at home then and purchase one in Bangkok for the trip.
Old Oct 24, 17, 8:04 pm

Programs: Delta AmEx Gold, United MileagePlus Explorer, Former Delta Silver Medallion & United Premier Silver
I'm transiting PEK in about a month. What are the specific rules on powerpacks (if any exist)?
Old Oct 24, 17, 8:21 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by okamzikprosim View Post
I'm transiting PEK in about a month. What are the specific rules on powerpacks (if any exist)?
Take a look here:
Traveling with lithium batteries

Originally Posted by too2early View Post
PEK is another story. The power supply must be clearly marked and meet the following standards or they will seize the battery. http://en.bcia.com.cn/news/news/141223/news1070.shtml
It's also discussed in the China forum:
China airport checkpoint procedures: things to watch out for
Old Oct 24, 17, 8:32 pm

Programs: Delta AmEx Gold, United MileagePlus Explorer, Former Delta Silver Medallion & United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
Thanks. Mine are quite small and clearly marked at only 3200 mAh and 12 Wh. But I'm not sure what the ICAO standards for State of Charge (SOC) limits refer to or if they are applicable here. There is no marking of SOC on the battery.
Old Oct 26, 17, 5:27 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
Agree you need to be careful going thru PEK...last Int'l transit I made in Feb (also heading to BKK) I remember they made me take every individual charger (I think I had 5!) out of my carry-on and send thru x-ray separately. As well as my bag of plug adaptors.

I didn't have a battery pack, so can't help you there - but they are very obsessive about anything electronic!
Old Oct 26, 17, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rwm818 View Post
Agree you need to be careful going thru PEK...last Int'l transit I made in Feb (also heading to BKK) I remember they made me take every individual charger (I think I had 5!) out of my carry-on and send thru x-ray separately. As well as my bag of plug adaptors.

I didn't have a battery pack, so can't help you there - but they are very obsessive about anything electronic!
PVG, two trips ago my laptop bag ended up virtually empty after they got done pulling stuff out to run separately. (And that was the first time a Chinese security person ever opened a bag of mine--in the past for foreigners they would always indicate the problem and let you show them the item.) Last time I simply emptied out the stuff myself. My battery didn't draw scrutiny, though.
Old Dec 18, 17, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Just a follow up after my trip. I can verify they physically inspect anything that looks like a battery and even make you take out AC adapters.
Old Dec 19, 17, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RoamingGeek View Post
Just a follow up after my trip. I can verify they physically inspect anything that looks like a battery and even make you take out AC adapters.
I guess PEK is more strict than PVG. While PVG is electronics out nobody looked at the battery I had.
Old Dec 21, 17, 1:54 am

Yep. At PEK T2 international transfer security, they were definitely looking at the labels.
Old Dec 21, 17, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by okamzikprosim View Post
Yep. At PEK T2 international transfer security, they were definitely looking at the labels.
I was thinking of bringing my 32,000 Mah battery on the trip but glad I did not. I am still kinda fuzzy on the rules for those. I contacted Hainan regarding it and they said I would have to talk to the Pilot before boarding. Unfortunately that wouldn't be at the first leg of my trip and I did not want to risk losing it in SEA.
Old Dec 21, 17, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was thinking of bringing my 32,000 Mah battery on the trip but glad I did not. I am still kinda fuzzy on the rules for those. I contacted Hainan regarding it and they said I would have to talk to the Pilot before boarding. Unfortunately that wouldn't be at the first leg of my trip and I did not want to risk losing it in SEA.
Those are limited to two batteries and only with airline permission.
Old Dec 22, 17, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
Those are limited to two batteries and only with airline permission.
How do you normally go about getting permission? I was very nervous about not knowing if I had permission until the second leg of my trip and thus my only option if I was declined would be to throw away a not significantly inexpensive battery bank.

Search this Thread