Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Flagged by Customs after I Lost My Global Entry Help!!

Old Oct 12, 17, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Hi, looking for any help or advice. I was coming back from Paris to Minneapolis 9 months ago and going thru Global Entry, got pulled aside for a random Agricultural Inspection...forgot I had an apple in my bag. I was held for 2.5 hours, paid a $500 fine, lost my Global Entry (for life) Lost my TSA Precheck, and have been flagged at Customs every time (over 100 times in last 9 months. I am a International Commercial Pilot, so this has been almost a career ending event all for an apple. Anyone know what options to get off the flagged status? Any possible way to ever get global entry back? thanks. Rick
Old Oct 12, 17, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Eventually they'll probably ease off on the customs.
Old Oct 13, 17, 5:08 pm

Programs: RFC
For the Global Entry ban, appeal to the Ombudsman. Explain the effect has been out of proportion to the crime and that the fine was enough to get the point home. If they accept that then you can get GE back and everything else will fall into place over time.
Old Oct 13, 17, 5:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The CBP secondary will end once you've demonstrated that you really are "clean".

You may, of course, pursue the Ombudsman angle. But, understand that people who lose GE for a violation where they actually pay a fine simply don't get it back. So, don't get your hopes up.
Old Oct 13, 17, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA - PlatPro, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Executive, NEXUS
OP seems to have missed the part during the GE interview where it was explained that all GE members are expected to know and follow immigration & customs rules at all times with zero tolerance for any violations. That's the quid pro quo for the expedited entry privileges - your warning was at the interview.

Originally Posted by https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/globalentry-info-guide.pdf
MEMBER RESPONSIBILITIES
PENALTIES FOR PROGRAM VIOLATIONS
All travelers, including Global Entry members, are subject to full and random examinations by CBP officers upon entering the U.S. If you violate any condition of Global Entry or any law or regulation of the U.S., officers may:
Revoke your Global Entry privileges;
HOW TO USE A GLOBAL ENTRY KIOSK
Declare goods
5. You must declare any fruits, ...
Originally Posted by https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/eligibility
You may not be eligible for participation in the Global Entry program if you:
Have been found in violation of any customs, immigration or agriculture regulations or laws in any country;
So, don't ever expect to get GE reinstated. The secondaries will probably start to taper off over time, but for now you are seen as untrusted and require extra scrutiny in case you "forget" a piece of fruit again.
Old Oct 15, 17, 4:01 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I have no problem with his GE being revoked, it's a privilege, not a right, blah blah.

But

OP, are you saying you have been referred to secondary inspection and detained had your bags searched A HUNDRED TIMES over the last nine months because you once brought an undeclared apple into the country?

That's insane. What usually transpires during these flagged secondary inspections?

It's hard to believe.

All I can think of is that they have flagged you for a period of time for this offense, like a year, which would not be a big deal to most people, as most travelers don't re-enter the USA more than a few times a year.

Keep in mind that during these inspections, assuming you are a US citizen, you have no obligation to answer any questions and they still have to re-admit you. Exercising your right to stay silent may not get you unflagged sooner, and it may not be good for your career, but it's a valid option for you to say "I've answered all these questions 100 times before, I'm not answering them again, search the bag."
Old Oct 15, 17, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Rick80607 View Post
Lost my TSA Precheck...
You did not lose TSA PreCheck, as you never have it.

TSA PreCheck is a complementary add-on to GE. Since you never enroll it, simply enroll it with TSA.

Anyone know what options to get off the flagged status?
No way.

1. CBP's border searching authority is absolute.

2. Given your occupation, you pose a higher risk for customs violation than other typical travelers. With such mistake, you should consider the flagged status as a gift (as you said, it could end your career).

Any possible way to ever get global entry back?
You are done. End of story.
Old Oct 15, 17, 9:59 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Folks,

The Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum is informational.

Please limit your responses here to practical advice and information.

Opinion and commentary belong in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Posts have been deleted.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Search this Thread