Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

am I allowed to bring deep dish pizza through TSA checkpoints at Chicago O'Hare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

am I allowed to bring deep dish pizza through TSA checkpoints at Chicago O'Hare?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LH, BA

it has a LOT of sauce, which is technically liquid...
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by geometry

Yup.

etc. etc.

Last edited by Newbie2FT; Mar 5, 2018 at 5:52 pm
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LH, BA
Originally Posted by Newbie2FT
Yup.

I sort of deconstructed a medium deep dish pizza and weighed all the ingredients that could be considered a liquid. Sauce: 9.8 ounces. Mozzarella(melted): 17.2 ounces.

Or does it not count when the liquid in question is cooked food?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:31 pm

I sort of deconstructed a medium deep dish pizza and weighed all the ingredients that could be considered a liquid. Sauce: 9.8 ounces. Mozzarella(melted): 17.2 ounces.

Or does it not count when the liquid in question is cooked food?
That's what their Twitter account appears to be saying. You may want to have those Tweets ready to show the TSO if they tell you otherwise at the airport.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Fresh or frozen?

I've brought frozen Giordano's deep dish pizza through ORD security in the past without issue, I think you'll be fine.

Unless you encounter hungry screeners at the checkpoint, in which case all bets are off...
OSSYULYYZ likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:09 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

Folks,

Just a gentle reminder that the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum is informational.

Per the forum's sticky post, this is the place for members to ask questions and get information to help them travel safely and with minimal hassle.

Please save your commentary, opinion, rants and diatribes for the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

Yes, of course you can! You can bring deep dish pizza. They have no problem at all. You are allowed to bring a pizzas.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
Yes, of course you can! You can bring deep dish pizza. They have no problem at all. You are allowed to bring a pizzas.
I'm not sure it's necessarily that obvious.

I quoted the specific askTSA tweets because other informal Twitter postings indicate that TSA screeners have a history of sometimes forcing travelers to abandon foods (solid, gelatinous, with some liquidous content, etc. etc.).

And @geometry raised a good point, which is that there is substantial liquid content in a deep dish-style pizza. So I think he was right to be concerned, and should be ready for a TSO who might grumble about it (and should be prepared to show the tweets to keep his food).
Old Mar 7, 2018, 2:18 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Folks,

The official position of the TSA, as stated in their What Can I Bring? page, is that pizza is allowed in carryon bags.

Keep in mind, though, that "The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint."

As per my earlier note, this forum is informational. Please limit your contributions here to facts and data points. Opinion and commentary belong in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Post(s) have been deleted.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Did it last year, took a Pequod's Pizza home to RDU. No one so much as looked at me sideways.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by CMK10
Did it last year, took a Pequod's Pizza home to RDU. No one so much as looked at me sideways.
Good. Nothing happened. Move along for next one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.