FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   REAL ID - how will travelers from non-compliant states w/o passports be affected? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1870623-real-id-how-will-travelers-non-compliant-states-w-o-passports-affected.html)

Cloudship Oct 6, 2017 9:19 am

REAL ID - how will travelers from non-compliant states w/o passports be affected?

Supposedly several state's extensions for not having the new Real-ID licenses expires October 10th. Will they be giving any kind of grace period? If someone does NOT have a passport, or a valid license, will they be turned away or just get "enhanced" screening?

gfunkdave Oct 6, 2017 10:00 am

I think such people will either need a form of ID the TSA accepts, or go through the TSA's procedure for people who show up without ID.

They'd originally been saying that Maine residents would encounter this after January 2018, but apparently the legislature recently enacted RealID compliant laws, so the deadline is removed.

k374 Oct 6, 2017 10:02 am

this link explains it clearly:

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/09/real-id-act-compliance-update/

twb3 Oct 6, 2017 11:21 am

My solution was to acquire a passport card so that I have a wallet-sized ID to use for TSA. No longer use my driver's license with TSA, even for domestic flights.

TWB

LarryJ Oct 6, 2017 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by k374 (Post 28900793)

Good article.

The link wasn't clickable, for some reason. Hopefully it'll work this time.

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/09/rea...liance-update/

JY1024 Oct 6, 2017 1:44 pm

Moving this to the Practical Travel Safety and Security forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator

Often1 Oct 6, 2017 3:49 pm

The DHS Real ID website is quite clear:

1. As of today all states are either compliant or have an extension at least through October 10, 2017. Those from states under an extension expiring on October 10, will be out of compliance themselves but will be exempt from enforcement until January 22, 2018. Practically, anyone with a US driver's license has at least until 1/22/2018.

2. The DHS website now states that after 1/22/2018, if you cannot present a valid state REAL ID or a listed federal ID, e.g. passport card, GE card, you will not be admitted to the checkpoint. It does not contain the carveout for lost/stolen ID's. That may well be an omission, but it is not something I would rely on until it is rewritten.

All of this suggests that if you have a DL from a state with an extension expiring on 10/10, and your state has not complied, you should seek an alternative compliant ID. Passport books, cards, and GE are three easy examples.

mistermap Oct 6, 2017 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 28902121)
The DHS Real ID website is quite clear:

2. The DHS website now states that after 1/22/2018, if you cannot present a valid state REAL ID or a listed federal ID, e.g. passport card, GE card, you will not be admitted to the checkpoint. It does not contain the carveout for lost/stolen ID's. That may well be an omission, but it is not something I would rely on until it is rewritten.

I think that the DHS timeline is actually quite confusing, and it took me a while to fully understand. Point 2 given above is, I believe, incorrect. My reading of the material suggests that an ordinary driver's license will usable until October 1, 2020, as long it is from a state that has implemented REAL ID or that has an extension.

Often1's follow-up point (I've lost the quote) is certainly right; it's time to seek an alternative ID if you are from a state with an extension that is expiring.

FlyingUnderTheRadar Oct 6, 2017 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by twb3 (Post 28901124)
My solution was to acquire a passport card so that I have a wallet-sized ID to use for TSA.

I use my global entry card ... but will get a passport card when I next renew.

See this thread for more: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28896948-post15.html

Often1 Oct 6, 2017 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by mistermap (Post 28902361)
I think that the DHS timeline is actually quite confusing, and it took me a while to fully understand. Point 2 given above is, I believe, incorrect. My reading of the material suggests that an ordinary driver's license will usable until October 1, 2020, as long it is from a state that has implemented REAL ID or that has an extension.

Often1's follow-up point (I've lost the quote) is certainly right; it's time to seek an alternative ID if you are from a state with an extension that is expiring.

DHS defines existing DL's issued from pre-REAL ID times as REAL ID compliant. The point is taken directly from the DHS website.

Cloudship Oct 6, 2017 7:13 pm

But supposedly some states may get an additional extension. It doesn't make clear which states. And more importantly - does that mean those people simply can't fly at all?
"That is going to be a huge mess. On the other hand, if all those people are now going to be getting extra screening - security lines are going to be inconceivably long.

reclusive46 Oct 6, 2017 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Cloudship (Post 28902663)
But supposedly some states may get an additional extension. It doesn't make clear which states. And more importantly - does that mean those people simply can't fly at all?
"That is going to be a huge mess. On the other hand, if all those people are now going to be getting extra screening - security lines are going to be inconceivably long.

Nope they won't be able to fly at all. Non-compliant states will need to get a US passport/passport card or another one of the compliant IDs.

Flaflyer Oct 8, 2017 8:36 am

Originally Posted by reclusive46 (Post 28903027)
Nope they won't be able to fly at all. Non-compliant states will need to get a US passport/passport card or another one of the compliant IDs.

Instead of presenting a non Real ID DL, why can't people present no ID and go through the no ID procedures?

TWA884 Oct 8, 2017 10:39 am

Moderator's Note

Folks,

Please keep in mind that the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum is informational. It is the place to ask questions and get information to help you travel safely and with minimal hassle.

Please limit your contributions here to factual information.

Opinion, commentary and speculation about REAL ID and the TSA name verification and screening procedures belong in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Posts have been deleted.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

reclusive46 Oct 8, 2017 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Flaflyer (Post 28907153)
Instead of presenting a non Real ID DL, why can't people present no ID and go through the no ID procedures?

That procedure won't be there anymore.