Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

REAL ID - how will travelers from non-compliant states w/o passports be affected?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

REAL ID - how will travelers from non-compliant states w/o passports be affected?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2017, 7:03 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by reclusive46
That procedure won't be there anymore.
It will still be there.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It will still be there.
Are you sure? I'm almost 99% positive it would be phased out and surely if there are large amounts of people who don't have the right ID, TSA agents will just refuse to do it?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:45 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

That procedure won't be there anymore.
I'm almost 99% positive it would be phased out and surely if there are large amounts of people who don't have the right ID, TSA agents will just refuse to do it?
Please cite a credible source for your claim that the TSA procedure for verifying the identity of passengers traveling without valid identification is being discontinued.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
Please cite a credible source for your claim that the TSA procedure for verifying the identity of passengers traveling without valid identification is being discontinued.

Thank you,

TWA884
At https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs under 'What happens to travelers who show up without a compliant licence?' it says "Starting January 22, 2018, travelers who do not have a license from a compliant state or a state that has been granted an extension (a complete list of non-compliant states/ territories can be found here) will be asked to provide alternate acceptable identification. If the traveler cannot provide an acceptable form of identification, they will not be permitted through the security checkpoint.
"
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
At https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs under 'What happens to travelers who show up without a compliant licence?' it says "Starting January 22, 2018, travelers who do not have a license from a compliant state or a state that has been granted an extension (a complete list of non-compliant states/ territories can be found here) will be asked to provide alternate acceptable identification. If the traveler cannot provide an acceptable form of identification, they will not be permitted through the security checkpoint.
"
Here's the current definition of "alternate acceptable identification".
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...identification
Forgot Your ID?

In the event you arrive at the airport without valid identification, because it is lost or at home, you may still be allowed to fly. The TSA officer may ask you to complete an identity verification process which includes collecting information such as your name, current address, and other personal information to confirm your identity. If your identity is confirmed, you will be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint. You may be subject to additional screening, to include a patdown and screening of carry-on property.

You will not be allowed to enter the security checkpoint if your identity cannot be confirmed, you chose to not provide proper identification or you decline to cooperate with the identity verification process.

TSA recommends that you arrive at least two hours in advance of your flight time.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 4:47 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

At https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs under 'What happens to travelers who show up without a compliant licence?' it says "Starting January 22, 2018, travelers who do not have a license from a compliant state or a state that has been granted an extension (a complete list of non-compliant states/ territories can be found here) will be asked to provide alternate acceptable identification. If the traveler cannot provide an acceptable form of identification, they will not be permitted through the security checkpoint."
Thank you.

Reading a couple of bullet points down, it states as follows:
Starting October 1, 2020, every air traveler will need a REAL ID-compliant license, or another acceptable form of identification, for domestic air travel.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:25 am

Okay, so I am still confused. I have a 2 year old Missouri DL. Right now the state isn't compliant. Let's say that tomorrow, the MO legislature decides to get off its lazy arses and make our IDs compliant. That would only affect any new IDs going forward. Mine was created before we were compliant, mine still isn't compliant, and come January 22, 2018, I need to start using an alternate form of ID at check points, until I renew my DL. Right?

Or if our state is brought into compliance, does something magically happen to all existing MO DLs to make them compliant too?

I just want to see a chart that says "If you have an ID from State X, issued before date Y, on date Z bring alternate forms of IDs to the airport". That would simplify things so much.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by t325
Okay, so I am still confused. I have a 2 year old Missouri DL. Right now the state isn't compliant. Let's say that tomorrow, the MO legislature decides to get off its lazy arses and make our IDs compliant. That would only affect any new IDs going forward. Mine was created before we were compliant, mine still isn't compliant, and come January 22, 2018, I need to start using an alternate form of ID at check points, until I renew my DL. Right?

Or if our state is brought into compliance, does something magically happen to all existing MO DLs to make them compliant too?

I just want to see a chart that says "If you have an ID from State X, issued before date Y, on date Z bring alternate forms of IDs to the airport". That would simplify things so much.
If the state is compliant, any ID from that state will be valid until 2020, whether the ID is real ID compliant or not is irrelevant.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
If the state is compliant, any ID from that state will be valid until 2020, whether the ID is real ID compliant or not is irrelevant.
Man, Joseph Heller couldn't have written that any better...
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:19 pm

It's not only about the ID, it's also about the information associated with the ID, what documentation you have to provide to get one, and what the States have to store and share.

<deleted by moderator>.

Last edited by TWA884; Oct 17, 2017 at 5:26 pm Reason: Going OMNI/PR
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:30 pm

Exclamation Moderator's Note

Reminder!

Originally Posted by TWA884
Folks,

Please keep in mind that the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum is informational. It is the place to ask questions and get information to help you travel safely and with minimal hassle.

Please limit your contributions here to factual information.

Opinion, commentary and speculation about REAL ID and the TSA name verification and screening procedures belong in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Posts have been deleted.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Additional posts have been deleted.

Please reserve your commentaries, opinions and speculations for the debate forum.

TWA884
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:14 pm

There's news today that Missouri has been granted an extension to October 2018. The DHS map shows LA, NY, MI, RI still under review.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
DHS defines existing DL's issued from pre-REAL ID times as REAL ID compliant. The point is taken directly from the DHS website.
OK, that's what I've been confused about. I have an NC non-REAL ID driver's license that doesn't expire until 2025. But since NC is compliant I should be able to use it until at least 2020, if I understand correctly.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I use my global entry card ... but will get a passport card when I next renew.

See this thread for more: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28896948-post15.html
Why not continue to use the GE card?
Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
what about the old rule allowing Canadian DLs on Domestic Flights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.