Is the Global Entry card a valid REAL ID?

Old Oct 3, 17, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: United

Old Oct 3, 17, 7:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Skippy76 View Post
I sure hope it is, given that the Feds issued it!

This table says yes... If it gets you into Sandia, they must trust it.
http://ttr.sandia.gov/forms/acceptab...tification.pdf
Old Oct 3, 17, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
What are you trying to accomplish? REAL ID is an act of Congress that mostly deals with the standards states must meet to allow state-issued drivers licenses and other identification to be valid identification for federal purposes (boarding an aircraft, entering federal facilities, etc.). It defines what data must be included on the state-issued identification, how states need to share data, documentation required for issuance, etc.

As GE card isn't a state-issued ID, I'm not sure the law is really applicable.

As you see on the linked sheet - REAL ID compliance is required for "A driver’s license or identification card issued by a state". Global Entry is a different type of identification.

So the answer to your question is no, because it's not applicable. But I suspect that's not really what you're asking.
Old Oct 3, 17, 8:13 am

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Itís TSA-accepted ID and will remain valid for that purpose.
Old Oct 3, 17, 8:23 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I used it once at TSA when I didn't want to fish out my passport. Worked fine.

I'm guessing the question is being asked since we're at yet another game of chicken between states and Feds about non-REAL-ID driver's licenses. So far they've always kicked the can down the road and moved the deadline for states to implement REAL ID. Haven't heard if they've done so for the early 2018 deadline...

Missouri is one of the states where the current DL's are not REAL ID compliant. There have been signs about it at MCI.
Old Oct 3, 17, 8:28 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Itís TSA-accepted ID and will remain valid for that purpose.
Officially the GE cards should work, but IME many TSA document checkers do not recognize them. Sometimes a supervisor does, but this can cause delays.
Old Oct 3, 17, 8:45 am

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Officially the GE cards should work, but IME many TSA document checkers do not recognize them. Sometimes a supervisor does, but this can cause delays.
in my limited experience, at least, I find that it's becoming less common that the GE card is not recognized. It's probably been once or twice in my last 100 trips when it wasn't recognized initially, and only once in the past 3 years that they actually called a supervisor over. That said, I do tend to transit busier/larger airports and it may be less common in smaller/less busy airports.
Old Oct 3, 17, 9:14 am

Programs: Delta, United, AA, Jet Blue .... Whichever is Cheapest
Short Answer .... Yes

Long Answer .... TSA may not know what they are right now, but they will get educated quickly once Non-Real state IDs are no longer accepted.
Old Oct 3, 17, 12:42 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I don't think that will be a problem.

I have used my GE card exclusively as my ID for TSA for over two years and have never had it questioned. That would be roughly 400 screenings with the GE card.
Old Oct 3, 17, 12:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Moving to the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum for further discussion. Thanks! /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Oct 3, 17, 1:22 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

Folks,

Please keep in mind that the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum is an informational forum.

Please limit your contributions here to factual information; opinion and commentary on the value of the REAL ID program belong in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Posts have been deleted.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Oct 4, 17, 3:08 am

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
In past 3 years, my GE card is my most frequently used ID when doing the TSA travel document check. Iíve had zero rejections of it in this period. Earlier than that, I would occasionally get some resistance about it, but not within the past 3 years. And for what itís worth, I use lots of airports from where there are no international flights and some of which where Iím the very rare person to use it.
Old Oct 4, 17, 10:33 am

Programs: AA - PlatPro, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Executive, NEXUS
I've used GE/NEXUS cards at TSA since 2014 and not once has anyone ever batted an eye at it. Sample size > 100 screenings.

GE/NEXUS/SENTRI cards are also REAL ID compliant, so you can use them to enter a nuclear power facility now AND will be able to use it for TSA when they begin to reject non-REAL ID compliant state DLs.
Old Oct 5, 17, 9:02 am

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While the hyper-technical answer is that GE cards have nothing to do with REAL ID, I take OP's question to be whether he may use his GE card as the required identification to pass through a checkpoint. The answer to the question is yes.

There may be have been occasions in the past when an Officer erroneously declined a card, but those will be few and far between these days and certainly no reason not to use the card.
Randyk47 likes this.
Old Oct 5, 17, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...identification

Identification

Adult passengers 18 and over must show valid identification at the airport checkpoint in order to travel.
  • Driver's licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians)
  • Permanent resident card
  • Border crossing card
  • DHS-designated enhanced driver's license
  • Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
  • HSPD-12 PIV card
  • Foreign government-issued passport
  • Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
  • Transportation worker identification credential
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
  • U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential
ID requirements at the checkpoint will change beginning Jan. 22, 2018. Learn about REAL ID, read the FAQ or factsheet.

A weapon permit is not an acceptable form of identification. A temporary driver's license is not an acceptable form of identification.
Should resolve any questions.

Search this Thread