Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Can we bring cheese through the TSA checkpoints?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)

OK, grapes are OK. How about cheese, and cheese in general. We have a wedge of cheese which is store wrapped (not hermetically sealed) that we would like to bring on board. It is a artisan cheese - Stilton with apricots. I would think the answer would be NO!, but Mrs. Doggy Daddy wanted me to ask. FWIW, our checked bags are at the limit, and we are embarking on a 38 day cruise.

DD
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:40 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
From the TSA website:
And from FlyerTalk:
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:01 am

Yes, I think.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:33 am

Is this a TSA question or a CBP question?

For security purposes your grapes and solid cheese are 100% good to go.

If you're entering the US, for agriculture quarantine purposes your grapes are most likely not OK (depending on country of origin), but the solid cheese is, whether it's commercially-made and vacuum-packed or made in your bathtub and wrapped in a sock
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:38 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
Is this a TSA question or a CBP question?
It's a TSA question.
Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy
Can we bring grapes through the TSA checkpoints so we can eat them on the plane?
I've edited the thread title for clarity.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Not TSA, but I was not able to bring certain types of Swiss cheese through CDG security, and I had to give up my sealed cheese wedges. (However, they went through ZRH security just fine.) Was not happy about that.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Just be mindful that cheese looks similar to plastic explosive on the x-ray so you may spend more time in security while they search your bag.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I've brought cheese in my carry on before from the EU. Had to clear TSA for my domestic segments, and yes IIRC I did get extra scrutiny. Might be helpful to put this in its own bin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.