Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

US citizen flying BKK -> TPE -> YYZ immigration worries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SkyTean, Star Alliance, HHonors

I've got an upcoming flight and with my neurotic nature I'm working myself up with immigration worries.

I'm a US citizen flying to BKK in late October. My home airport is BUF but YYZ is only a 90 minute drive away, and an EVA flight from YYZ was a lot cheaper for premium economy than anything I found from BUF when I was booking.

My itinerary is to drive over the border to YYZ, then YYZ -> TPE ->BKK with my return the same airports, BKK -> TPE -> YYZ and then a drive home. I'm hoping to leave TPE airport on the return to see some sights but will only be in the airport on the way down.

I checked up on visa requirements and everything looked good. No transit visa required for US citizens with a passport to leave YYZ or to transit through TPE.

I've just used the tool that EVA links to on their site to check travel document requirements, and I'm seeing this for my last leg (TPE -> YYZ):
  • Visa is not required for Canada. Maximum stay of 6 months.
  • Passengers not holding onward/return tickets or other acceptable evidence of onward/return travel may be refused entry.

So now I'm worried that my plan to drive home won't be considered "acceptable evidence of onward/return travel" and I'll be stranded in TPE.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar situation, or if anyone has any advice. I feel like I'm worrying for nothing and I should be fine in TPE on my return but I'm pretty neurotic & starting to worry about this.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
The immigration agent at Pearson might accept your parking ticket and home address as evidence that you have onward travel plans.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
shortly before leaving BKK, buy a refundable YYZ-U.S. ticket on a flight departing the day after your TPE-YYZ flight arrives; after you clear customs and immigration at YYZ you can cancel that reservation
Old Sep 23, 2017, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SkyTean, Star Alliance, HHonors
Originally Posted by EricH
The immigration agent at Pearson might accept your parking ticket and home address as evidence that you have onward travel plans.
I'm not so worried about Canada as I am about the check-in staff and gate agent from EVA deciding I don't have sufficient documentation and not allowing me to board in the first place.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
@smc333 Buy a cheap megabus ticket from Toronto to Buffalo if you want to be certain but honestly you won't have a problem. I flew every 3 weeks to London while in University at UB and would often fly via YYZ for the same reasons you are. The airlines know many US citizens living along the border do such things and the immigration officers know you're low risk.

If you haven't already and are eligible you should get Nexus.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by smc333
I'm not so worried about Canada as I am about the check-in staff and gate agent from EVA deciding I don't have sufficient documentation and not allowing me to board in the first place.
Honestly, it won't be an issue. I've done this the other way around in the US as a Canadian (Actually on EVA (as well as several other airlines) as well). I've been asked about it on other airlines but my car keys and the parking ticket have always been enough.

CBSA couldn't care less, tons of Americans who live in upstate New York fly from Toronto. The same applies for those in Seattle flying from Vancouver.

If your really that bothered, just book a ticket from Canada to the US, print out the confirmation and cancel the ticket.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:00 pm

I wouldn't worry about that. Most certainly, staff there is used to Canada/US situation. In the absolutely worst case, you could indeed buy a fully refundable ticket (somewhere a few weeks in the future at least) at checkin. I'd not do it beforehand, since I assume chances are way above 95% you'll not have any issues.

Enjoy your time in China (RoC) ^
Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
You are not the first nor will you be the last to use YYZ as your hub airport for intL flights. Eva is well aware of this. Same as their SEA TPE flight drawing flyers from Vancouver.

When it made sense financially I have been know to fly out of BUF.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
Originally Posted by tentseller
Same as their SEA TPE flight drawing flyers from Vancouver.
Eva flies YVR-TPE, no need to go Seattle. EK and OZ are the only international airlines present in SEA but not in YVR.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:47 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by EricH
Or if you're arriving in YYZ by bus just show them the return bus ticket to Buffalo
Old Sep 24, 2017, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by redadeco
Eva flies YVR-TPE, no need to go Seattle. EK and OZ are the only international airlines present in SEA but not in YVR.
EVA was flying SEA TPE a lot longer before they had landing rights into Canada and slots at YVR and YYZ.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 5:37 am

I fly internationally out of yyz as a us citizen regularly and have never had an issue with immigration officials. As long as you have proof you are leaving Taiwan they will not care what your plans are in Canada as it is not their problem.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Absolutely nothing to worry about.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
From my reading of the OP, it appears he/she is more concerned with being refused boarding by EVA staff in TPE, and not so concerned by passing through CBSA in YYZ.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:07 am

I would be more worried about BUF-YYZ here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.