Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

US citizen flying BKK -> TPE -> YYZ immigration worries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US citizen flying BKK -> TPE -> YYZ immigration worries

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by JumboJet
I would be more worried about BUF-YYZ here
I agree. OP, I hope you aren't planning to get off a trans-Pacific flight and drive right home. Driving when fatigued is as dangerous as driving drunk.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SkyTean, Star Alliance, HHonors
Originally Posted by Lost
From my reading of the OP, it appears he/she is more concerned with being refused boarding by EVA staff in TPE, and not so concerned by passing through CBSA in YYZ.
Yep, that's correct. As long as I make it out of TPE I'll be happy.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajGoes
I agree. OP, I hope you aren't planning to get off a trans-Pacific flight and drive right home. Driving when fatigued is as dangerous as driving drunk.
I'm hoping to get some sleep on the flight, but I've bought an extra day of travel insurance to cover me in Canada in case I need to find a hotel near YYZ after the flight.

Even if all the hotels are sold out and I'm absolutely dead tired, I've got friends close enough to give me a ride if I really needed one. I'd owe them a BIG favor, but I'll be OK

EDIT: Just double-checked prices, and it looks like it won't be much more at all to get a hotel with parking & a 1 night stay after the trip vs. just an airport-adjacent parking lot. I'll be checking reviews and making a booking tomorrow.
ajGoes likes this.

Last edited by smc333; Sep 24, 2017 at 6:59 pm Reason: Added a note not worthy of a new post
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:06 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the TS/S Forum
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by smc333
I've got an upcoming flight and with my neurotic nature I'm working myself up with immigration worries.

I'm a US citizen flying to BKK in late October. My home airport is BUF but YYZ is only a 90 minute drive away, and an EVA flight from YYZ was a lot cheaper for premium economy than anything I found from BUF when I was booking.

My itinerary is to drive over the border to YYZ, then YYZ -> TPE ->BKK with my return the same airports, BKK -> TPE -> YYZ and then a drive home. I'm hoping to leave TPE airport on the return to see some sights but will only be in the airport on the way down.

I checked up on visa requirements and everything looked good. No transit visa required for US citizens with a passport to leave YYZ or to transit through TPE.

I've just used the tool that EVA links to on their site to check travel document requirements, and I'm seeing this for my last leg (TPE -> YYZ):
  • Visa is not required for Canada. Maximum stay of 6 months.
  • Passengers not holding onward/return tickets or other acceptable evidence of onward/return travel may be refused entry.

So now I'm worried that my plan to drive home won't be considered "acceptable evidence of onward/return travel" and I'll be stranded in TPE.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar situation, or if anyone has any advice. I feel like I'm worrying for nothing and I should be fine in TPE on my return but I'm pretty neurotic & starting to worry about this.
As a US citizen who has rather often done this kind of thing with Canadian airports, it's not a problem. For YYZ and BUF, this is anything but news to the CBSA and CBP. "The ticket price was much cheaper this way." Ok.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Might be worth considering hotel parking deals around YYZ

Something which many of us here on the "Canadian side" are aware of and could potentially be beneficial to the OP are the free parking deals offered by many hotels around YYZ. Essentially you stay overnight before and/or after a trip and park free for the duration of your trip.

The advantage of this is in not having a potentially long drive before departure and being guaranteed a good night's sleep after a TPAC before a long drive home on the QEW to Buffalo!

And of course you also have YYZ hotel documentation as additional support re being able to check-in at TPE.

(We moved from YYZ to YSB area 10+ years ago and have used these drive stay deals a lot. The best gave us 4 wks free parking for staying before and after our last HND trip!)
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like I have a plan now. I'm going to make sure I've got my parking receipt ready for proof of onward travel and, if that's not good enough, I'll buy a refundable ticket from YYZ -> JFK or whatever, then sign up for in-flight WiFi and cancel it as soon as I can once in the air.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TemboOne
Something which many of us here on the "Canadian side" are aware of and could potentially be beneficial to the OP are the free parking deals offered by many hotels around YYZ. Essentially you stay overnight before and/or after a trip and park free for the duration of your trip.

The advantage of this is in not having a potentially long drive before departure and being guaranteed a good night's sleep after a TPAC before a long drive home on the QEW to Buffalo!

And of course you also have YYZ hotel documentation as additional support re being able to check-in at TPE.

(We moved from YYZ to YSB area 10+ years ago and have used these drive stay deals a lot. The best gave us 4 wks free parking for staying before and after our last HND trip!)
Do you have any places that have earned a recommendation from you? I'm looking at the Hampton Inns for the free breakfasts, but Mrs. smc333 will be with me and she's not as much of a fan of steam table eggs and lumpy oatmeal as I am so that might be moot (Plus there's a Perkins near the airport and ours closed years ago, so I'm guessing we'll wind up there due to nostalgia).
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
As an American, you don't require evidence of onward travel when you visit Canada. You're entitled to come and stay up to six months. So I wouldn't worry about it.

If you flew into Toronto from Taipei and stayed a month to visit Canada, that'd be OK. It's equally OK to return to Buffalo the same day.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by PhotoJim
As an American, you don't require evidence of onward travel when you visit Canada. You're entitled to come and stay up to six months. So I wouldn't worry about it.

If you flew into Toronto from Taipei and stayed a month to visit Canada, that'd be OK. It's equally OK to return to Buffalo the same day.
There is no absolute "entitlement" for entry to a country unless you are a citizen, Canada included. As a US citizen I've been repeatedly grilled upon entering Canada (almost entirely for work, with a valid work permit).

Personal travel was the biggest hassle and NEXUS did not save me 100% of the time. They wanted to know why I was entering Canada, the license plate of my car, etc. by land, and when entering for a personal trip by air I got 20 questions on the bride/groom's name, exact street address of the reception, of the wedding, of my hotel, asked for proof that I would not become a burden on the state, etc. (even with NEXUS I've been searched reentering the US too).

I wouldn't sweat it, but in OP's case, I'd have my driver's license issued in the states, parking receipt from YYZ, and a printout of his itinerary. He'll probably pass CBSA @ YYZ and CBP @ US border fine, but having that evidence would probably make things a lot smoother if they have questions.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
You wouldn't even need to buy a "refundable" ticket. Before you leave your Bangkok hotel to go to the airport, you could buy a regular ticket on many American airlines from YYZ to somewhere in the USA. Show Bangkok check in staff the ticket on your phone if they ask. Then cancel it online within 24 hours for a full refund.

That's what I would do. I don't care if other people say "Oh, check in staff have let me fly without an onward ticket before."

This is always totally at the whim of the check in staff person you encounter. It doesn't matter if 1,000 of her colleagues will let Americans fly to Canada without onward tickets. You don't want to risk her looking at her system, then looking at her car keys and saying "No."

Another option here would be to just get to Bangkok airport a bit early and be prepared to buy the YYZ-USA ticket on the spot if challenged, then cancel it. They do have wifi there.

For your Taipei stopover, you can get a taxi to Taipei 101 and go up.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
No issue at all, I do this very often, driving from Michigan to YYZ, and park at hotels near the airport for their parking + hotel package deals. When you fly into Canada, US citizens go through the same immigration lines as Canadians.

If airlines ask about your onward (unlikely) itineraries, have your hotel + parking reservation ready.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by vincewy

If airlines ask about your onward (unlikely) itineraries, have your hotel + parking reservation ready.
A hotel reservation in Canada and parking receipt may be insufficient to satisfy a Bangkok check-in staffperson who asks to see an onward ticket from Canada.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by jphripjah
This is always totally at the whim of the check in staff person you encounter. It doesn't matter if 1,000 of her colleagues will let Americans fly to Canada without onward tickets. You don't want to risk her looking at her system, then looking at her car keys and saying "No."

Another option here would be to just get to Bangkok airport a bit early and be prepared to buy the YYZ-USA ticket on the spot if challenged, then cancel it. They do have wifi there.
You can do this at expedia.com right before checking in (even the cheapest ticket from non-LCC has 24 hour money back guarantee) and as soon as you're done checking in you can cancel it right away.

Originally Posted by jphripjah
A hotel reservation in Canada and parking receipt may be insufficient to satisfy a Bangkok check-in staffperson who asks to see an onward ticket from Canada.
Wow, are people this brain dead at BKK? I guess when airlines pay people peanuts they can't expect them to exercise common sense.

My experience is flying into Canada from IST, DXB, and Europe, no one ever questions if you're US citizen. Even arriving into YYZ if I show them my intention to driving back to US they usually just wave me through. However, if you hold passport other than US and Canada you'll usually go through very thorough/intrusive screening.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:22 pm

Considering how stupid some checkin staff (mostly in the US) are regarding TWOV in China, technically yes, some BKK-staff might really be stupid too.

I'd rate the chances as small, and not do any preparation, apart from showing up early enough so in the case of an issue I could just buy a ticket right then and there (and cancel just afterwards) - I'd not bother with booking anything ahead, as the chance is probably below 1% that it creates problems, but it exists for sure.

I've had quite some questions when flying schedules that had me staying in another country without a connecting flight on the same ticket. Showing up the matching ticket always solved it. I suppose for CAN-USA, they'd understand you can just take a care over the boarder, so the chance they're actually asking is already smaller, and the chance for them actually having an issue with "I'll drive over the border with a train/car" is really tiny.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.