LAX Security - Relaxed Rules?

Old Sep 22, 17, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
LAX Security - Relaxed Rules?

I was flying through TBIT at LAX last Saturday on NZ2 to London and the security process threw me off as it wasn't what I was expecting from the TSA.

I was ready to get my laptop, ipad, liquids out and take my shoes off. Instead we were instructed to keep everything in our bags and place any other items we might have inside too.

I thought this was highly unusual - although a welcome change as it was much faster. Funny how we have gotten so used to airport security.

Does anyone know if this is a permanent change or a trial? Anyone else come across this?

Any information is welcome!

Apologies if I am posting in the wrong place or if this has been already asked.
(Couldn't see anything in the search)

Faris
Old Sep 22, 17, 5:55 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Did you have Precheck on your BP (or did an agent point you to the Precheck line, if you didn't happen to notice it printed on there)? With that description, sounds like you were in the Precheck security line.
Old Sep 23, 17, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
I just looked up whatís different about the precheck line experience and it does sound like what I experienced.

However I donít know how I would have needed up in the precheck line since neither me or anyone in my group is a US citizen or is signed up for precheck.

It was still a very swift experience
Old Sep 23, 17, 5:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
They had been giving PreCheck based on your FF record and also just to random people. In addition, it's given to those over age 75 or when the airport uses sniffer dogs on passengers waiting in line.
Old Sep 23, 17, 9:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
I find it a bit ridiculous that when I fly AA, I get PreCheck, but when I fly CX, all of a sudden, I have to go through the main line again. What difference does it make that CX is not participating? My known traveler number should still come through and my precheck was sponsored by Global Entry and not any airline.
Old Sep 23, 17, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012 View Post
I find it a bit ridiculous that when I fly AA, I get PreCheck, but when I fly CX, all of a sudden, I have to go through the main line again. What difference does it make that CX is not participating? My known traveler number should still come through and my precheck was sponsored by Global Entry and not any airline.
The KTN does *not* come through when you fly CX. AFAIK Pre requires additional IT integration between the airline and TSA.

IIRC, CX doesn't even have an input field for KTNs on their website.
Old Sep 24, 17, 10:04 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this discussion in the Travel Safety and Security Forum
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Sep 25, 17, 5:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Since NZ2 isn’t a participating airline the OP couldn’t have gotten PreCheck on his BP. Non-participating airlines don’t qualify for random inclusion. And yes, I’m one of those flyers who thinks PreCheck ought to be tied to the passenger regardless of the carrier being flown but that’s not the way it works.
Old Sep 26, 17, 12:13 am

Programs: Delta AmEx Gold, United MileagePlus Explorer, Former Delta Silver Medallion & United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by txflyer77 View Post
The KTN does *not* come through when you fly CX. AFAIK Pre requires additional IT integration between the airline and TSA.

IIRC, CX doesn't even have an input field for KTNs on their website.
That said, it is very interesting that some airlines do ask for KTN when they are not part of PreCheck. For example, I recently made a booking on HU and KTN was part of the passenger information form.

Sign of things to come someday or just wishful thinking?
Old Sep 26, 17, 12:27 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by okamzikprosim View Post
That said, it is very interesting that some airlines do ask for KTN when they are not part of PreCheck. For example, I recently made a booking on HU and KTN was part of the passenger information form.

Sign of things to come someday or just wishful thinking?
Please continue the discussion of that line of thought in the following thread in the Trusted Travelers forum:
TSA Pre✓ģ ONLY with Participating Airlines [merged threads]
Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Sep 28, 17, 2:44 pm

Exclamation Moderator's Action

A recent post discussing the manner in which airlines and the TSA communicate trusted travelers information for TSA Pre✓ passengers was moved to the above linked thread.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Nov 19, 17, 8:13 pm

Exclamation Moderator's Action

A recent question about the logistics of connecting at LAX was moved to the following thread in the Los Angeles forum:

2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

TWA884
Moderator, Travel Safety/Security, Los Angeles
Old Nov 19, 17, 11:26 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Were you flying all the way AKL-LAX-LHR? My understanding is that there is a special arrangement for THAT flight.....

Search this Thread