Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Acceptable Identification for Domestic Travel [Consolidated Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Acceptable Identification for Domestic Travel [Consolidated Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2017, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Do airlines accept the GE card as ID?

I ask because my teen has been asked for photo ID at the gate. He had his passport, which the GA accepted as ID. I think that was WN that did it.
Just for completeness, here is the TSA-published list of acceptable ID. GE is, of course, in that list. If your son was asked for ID by a WN employee on a domestic flight, that has nothing to do with TSA documents and is likely part of some age check, e.g., old enough to fly unaccompanied. WN is free to require whatever documents it wishes to require.

Driver's licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
U.S. passport
U.S. passport card
DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians)
Permanent resident card
Border crossing card
DHS-designated enhanced driver's license
Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
HSPD-12 PIV card
Foreign government-issued passport
Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
Transportation worker identification credential
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:34 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Originally Posted by Often1
Just for completeness, here is the TSA-published list of acceptable ID. GE is, of course, in that list. If your son was asked for ID by a WN employee on a domestic flight, that has nothing to do with TSA documents and is likely part of some age check, e.g., old enough to fly unaccompanied. WN is free to require whatever documents it wishes to require.

Driver's licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
U.S. passport
U.S. passport card
DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians)
Permanent resident card
Border crossing card
DHS-designated enhanced driver's license
Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
HSPD-12 PIV card
Foreign government-issued passport
Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
Transportation worker identification credential
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential
What is the difference between the US passport card and the border crossing card? I thought these were the same thing.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 3:14 am

A Border Crossing Card is a B1/B2 visa in card form issued to Mexican nationals who live in Mexico: https://travel.state.gov/content/vis...sing-card.html
Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL DM&MM, DL KMwannabe, HH, AA, TG,
ID for TSA

I lost my New York State drivers license and will have to get a replacement copy. New York State says that takes 2 to 3 weeks to arrive (a temporary drivers license is issued).

we are flying to India and Nepal in March, both of which require at least six months of validity before your passport expires. I’ll miss it by a few days, don’t want to take the chance, and therefore will be sending in my passport for expedited replacement.

I’m flying next week would but will hold onto my passport until after my return January 30.

if I need to travel during the time when all I’ve got is a temporary license and a photo of my passport, will other ID like global entry card or my photo government issue New York State licensed physician card be enough to get me through TSA? Likely routes I might need to travel during that interim are New York to FLL or PBI.
Anyone else with a similar experience? We’re not experience, actual knowledge :-)Thanks
Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
You won't have any problem. Just explain the situation and present the ID you have. They'll probably pass you with what you have without issue. At worst they will pull you aside and ask you some questions (basically LexisNexis ID verification questions - address history, business relationships, etc).

edit - just saw you have a global entry ID card. This is considered valid TSA ID so you won't have any issue at all.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by ethernal
edit - just saw you have a global entry ID card. This is considered valid TSA ID so you won't have any issue at all.
+1

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...identification
pvn and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL DM&MM, DL KMwannabe, HH, AA, TG,
Wheww!
sorry I didn’t catch this on my own...
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold (LT), Nat EL Exec, Hertz PC
Except... so many of the TSA employees I presented my GE card to declined it as ID (saying they had never heard of it) during my wait for the plastic renewed DL to arrive.... that I started to carry my passport on domestic trips. One employee even declined my passport after telling me that it can only be used for ID on international trips... I realize that this isn’t the TSA venting thread, but....
Yoshi212 and scottpenderson like this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I think lots of folks are surprised that an ID is not required. Darn good idea, but not required.

As to sending off the passport for renewal - damn good idea. That part of an ID is not negotiable. Better have a valid ID or you are not getting on the plane.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: Delta, Marriott and Avis
If you a have a passport card that is easy and simple...IMHO
Old Jan 13, 2018, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no need to explain the lack of a DL or anything else. Simply present one of the ID's listed on the TSA website.

As with all organizations, not every employee is a rocket scientist. If you find one who is not, ask for a supervisor. No need to frighten or otherwise worry the OP.

A GE card, passport, passport card, or any of the other items specifically listed on the site will do.

You may even travel without ID, but must have your identity verified by TSA. That involves bringing items which tend to identify you (utility bills, student ID, and other non-acceptable documents) and allowing TSA to verify from commercial databases to which it subscribes. You will also have a thorough secondary search.

OP - Your situation is entirely common. Don't make more of it than it is.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Often1

OP - Your situation is entirely common. Don't make more of it than it is.
^^^this

You said you have a GE card. That's an acceptable ID for TSA. Plan to travel with it in the meantime. The end.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:06 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Steve007NY
...will other ID like global entry card or my photo government issue New York State licensed physician card be enough to get me through TSA?
The Global Entry card is an acceptable identification at TSA security checkpoints.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:33 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Folks,

Just a gentle reminder that the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum is informational.

Please limit your contributions here to facts and data points. Opinions of and commentary about TSA employees belong in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by brkandjfk

Except... so many of the TSA employees I presented my GE card to declined it as ID (saying they had never heard of it) during my wait for the plastic renewed DL to arrive.... that I started to carry my passport on domestic trips. One employee even declined my passport after telling me that it can only be used for ID on international trips... I realize that this isn’t the TSA venting thread, but....
I used my Global Entry card as my ID for over a hundred domestic flights (hundreds of flights total since I was connecting for a while, but I'm only counting security checkpoint entrances) from 2013-2015 and I had no issue in presenting my GE card at dozens of airports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.