Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Acceptable Identification for Domestic Travel [Consolidated Thread]

Acceptable Identification for Domestic Travel [Consolidated Thread]

Old Mar 13, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Their process involves checking credit agency-style data bases, where they have multiple-choice kind of questions about where did you live before, what was your old address, what kind of car loan did you have in 1997 and pay off? That sort of stuff. A bit more difficult to predict the questions they'd ask a younger person without a traditional credit trail.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 6:23 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
In some threads on FT, I seem to remember reading, that COSTCO cards (which do have pictures and you get it immediately on sign-up) seem to be high up on TSA's list of non-gov't issued ids.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA EP, SPG Ambassador (lifetime plat)
TSA Allow Driver ID printout

I just moved to TN and got a temp drivers license until I get the permanent one in the mail -- they took my old PA one. The temp is a computer print out and they told me TSA would take this though I'm a little concerned.

Does anyone know if TSA takes print out temp Drivers Licenses?
Old Jul 19, 2014, 1:44 pm

Does the temp printed license have a photo on it? If not, I'm surprised they took the old one -- when I moved to CA (a long time ago, admittedly), they punched a hole in the old license (I think through the expiration date), and you carried both the old card (for photo to name identification) and the temp paper (which matched the name to valid CA license) until the CA card arrived.

In short, if you have a photo ID, I wouldn't worry, but if there's no photo I'd be concerned.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Who is "they took"? Are you referring to TSA or to the TN driver's license people? It makes a huge difference.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by azoomee
I just moved to TN and got a temp drivers license until I get the permanent one in the mail -- they took my old PA one. The temp is a computer print out and they told me TSA would take this though I'm a little concerned.

Does anyone know if TSA takes print out temp Drivers Licenses?
TSA does permit travel without a proper photo ID, although you will be likely subject to some extra questioning/screening.

Originally Posted by jmastron
Does the temp printed license have a photo on it? If not, I'm surprised they took the old one -- when I moved to CA (a long time ago, admittedly), they punched a hole in the old license (I think through the expiration date), and you carried both the old card (for photo to name identification) and the temp paper (which matched the name to valid CA license) until the CA card arrived.
I remember California doing that, although many states just confiscate your old license. Then again, some states also issue new photo IDs on the spot at the DMV, but California is not one of those, and the delay to get the new one in the mail can be quite lengthy.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by metallo
TSA does permit travel without a proper photo ID, although you will be likely subject to some extra questioning/screening.

I remember California doing that, although many states just confiscate your old license. Then again, some states also issue new photo IDs on the spot at the DMV, but California is not one of those, and the delay to get the new one in the mail can be quite lengthy.
REAL ID requirements pretty much remove the ability to issue drivers licenses on the spot in compliant states.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 4:12 pm

Yeah, it has a photo on it but its just a piece of paper. They took my old PA one when i got the new TN one.

So, I should be ok?
Old Jul 19, 2014, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
As noted above, you ultimately don't *need* ID for a domestic flight. You may be subjected to some extra questions/screening, but if "ok" means getting on your flight, then you should be ok. Just leave some extra time.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP: : SPG Plat; HH Gold
I traveled successfully with the Tennessee temporary drivers license through TSA.

Do you have a passport as a backup?
Old Jul 20, 2014, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2.3 MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, recovering UA Premier
When I first moved to CA many years ago, they took my driver's license, and left me without state-issued photo ID. I carried a passport for several months until the DMV got around to issuing me a license.

When I renew my passport now, I pay the extra $30 to get a passport card. $3/year is cheap insurance if I change states again. It seems unlikely that I'd take a job in another state, but it's certainly worth the few bucks for me to have a wallet-size government ID just in case. I have a Nexus card as well, but it's not as widely recognized as the passport card.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
New York does the same "paper license with no photo" thing, and they aren't even REAL ID compliant. This didn't pose a problem for me as I have both a GE card and a passport card, so I don't know what the general policy is regarding having a non-photo driver's license at a TSA checkpoint.

I would imagine they'd give you extra screening like someone with no ID.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:22 pm

Here's the outcome

Ok, so I brought my passport as a backup in case. I gave the TSA person my paper temp license and she said she couldn't take it. When I mentioned that the DMV said that they would, she just mentioned that they didn't know what they were talking about. I then pulled out my passport and I was good.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 12:36 pm

ID Requirements?

Hi,

Just bought plane tickets for my Mom to visit us in September (EWR - IAH). Question is around ID requirements. She has;

1) A NJ drivers license that will expire this month (July)

2) A State of NJ "Golden Key" card. This is some sort of senior citizen medicare discount card. It does have her picture on it and her SSN.

Will this work? Or does she need to get a card from the NJ State DMV?

Thanks.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 12:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ScarletKnight
Will this work? Or does she need to get a card from the NJ State DMV?
I'm not sure if TSA will recognize the Golden Key card as an official government ID or not (though I would suspect not). An expired DL is questionable. If she doesn't have a passport, her best bet would be to get a new DL or official state ID card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.